What's new

Middle East in the Olympics

Madali

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
In the spirit of the Olympics, I made this thread to hopefully celebrate the success of the athletes from the middle eastern countries. Good luck to all 17 countries in the M.E.

I'm posting the countries below plus titbits of info from various news sources. I didn't link all the sources because it will be too many links.

This thread has been made in respect of all the athletes. I've made it for the Middle East countries only, because we are in such a volatile region, where most of the time, the news is unfortunate. So I would like to have this thread as a show of respect to all the athletes from our region, and hope they succeed in the games.

Of course, this does not mean we only wish success for M.E. athletes. I desire success for everyone involved, specially our forum hosts, dear Pakistanis. Good luck, everyone.

For now, Middle East countries in Olympics,

Names in Alphabetic Order.

AFGHANISTAN

RIOEC851UIZCN_1536x864.JPG

"Kamia Yousufi, 20, is only one of three athletes competing for Afghanistan at the Rio Olympics, where she is competing in the 100-meter dash. The other two are Abdul Wahab Zahiri, who run in the men’s 100-meter race, and Mohammad Tawfiq Bakhshi in Judo."

BAHRAIN

RIOEC8600VNLN_1536x864.JPG

"This is the Kingdom's biggest delegation in the history of athletic games on Arab and continental levels with 40 athletes qualifying, and 32 of them set to participate in the Olympics."

EGYPT

RIOEC86046DJT_1536x864.JPG

"Egypt's best-ever swimmers start their Olympic Games campaign in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday, hoping to cause an upset and compete for a historic medal."

IRAN

RIOEC860491KK_768x432.JPG

"She made history by securing a spot for Iran not only at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games, but Olympics as well.
Nemati is the first Iranian woman to win an Olympic or Paralympic gold medal at London 2012.
“I am ready to make a splash in my first Olympic experience. After the 2012 Paralympic Games, I thought about taking part in Olympics and in the 2014 Asian Para Games, I made final decision and partook in Olympics qualification,” Nemati said."

IRAQ

RIOEC86038C8I_1536x864.JPG

"As the AFC’s only Arab nation at the 2016 Rio Olympics football competition, Iraq are once again looking to achieve success against seemingly insurmountable odds"

ISRAEL

RIOEC8603M9CM_1536x864.JPG

"When the 2016 Olympic Games open here on Friday evening, Israel will proudly show off its largest delegation ever, with 47 athletes competing in 17 sports."

JORDAN

RIOEC8604HVO9_1536x864.JPG

KUWAIT

Kuwait is suspended but athletes will be competing under an Olympics flag as Independents.

"Although the 21-year-old graduate of Williams College in the United States had endured pre-sunrise swims during brutal Massachusetts winters to appear in her second consecutive Olympics, the offer came with a big hitch. With Kuwait currently banned by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) over alleged government interference - which Kuwait has countered with a $1bn lawsuit - Faye will participate as an independent athlete under the Olympic flag."

LEBANON

RIOEC8603L1C3_1536x864.JPG

"The 27-year old arrived at the 2016 Olympics Games in Rio de Janeiro as number one in the world in women's trap shooting -- a fast-moving discipline where the competitor hits "clay pigeons" released from a spring trap with a shotgun.

She's also the favorite to become Lebanon's first-ever gold medalist"

OMAN

RIOEC860GFY8P_1536x864.JPG

"Oman’s 19 year old Mazoon al Alawi will make her debut at the 2016 Rio Olympics after the Oman Olympic Committee (OOC) announced on Monday that the sprinter has been handed a wild card by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Mazoon will compete in the 100m event at the Olympic Games that will be held in the Brazilian capital of Rio de Janeiro from August 5-21."

PALESTINE

RIOEC8605KWY5_1536x864.JPG

"Palestine, which has been a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) since 1995, is bringing six athletes to Brazil."

QATAR

RIOEC860255XZ_1536x864.JPG

"Qatar's 38-strong Olympic squad is now in Rio and ready to compete in the Games, which officially kick off tomorrow"

SAUDI ARABIA

RIOEC86007NF3_1536x864.JPG

"In London 2012, athlete Sarah Attar and judoka Wojdan Shaherkani became the first Saudi women to compete in an Olympics. Four years later, Saudi female presence will double and those women will be more ambitious"

SYRIA

MTZSPDEC6UKGWCX2_1536x864.JPG

"Syrian high jumper Majd Eddin Ghazal, who achieved the best jump at the International Association of Athletics Federations World Challenge in Beijing in May, will be Syria’s Olympic flag bearer in Rio.

In an interview with Al-Monitor, Ghazal also highlighted problems in obtaining visas to European countries for training and competitions. He said, “We had to avoid these obstacles as much as we could and instead we focused on training inside the country” most of the time. He added that he was recently able to attend a series of training sessions in Schengen countries, including Spain, Monaco and Hungary.

“I will carry the flag of the Syrian Arab Republic on behalf of my country; it is a matter of pride for me to present my appreciation to the leadership of the GSFS, which nominated me to this task. But I do not want to turn the subject into political rivalry with any other party, because I am an athlete before anything else,” he said."

TURKEY

RIOEC8606H899_1536x864.JPG

"Some 103 Turkish athletes in 21 different sports will compete at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro between Aug. 5 and 21."

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

RIOEC8603VPFU_1536x864.JPG

"Teenage swimmer Nada Al-Bedwawi has been chosen as the United Arab Emirates' flagbearer for the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games here next week"

YEMEN

RIOEC8608ISTH_1536x864.JPG

Four athletes represent Yemen.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

@Madali the number of athletes' countries that you mentioned is just about Olympic or combined with paralympic athletes..?

IRAN

RIOEC860491KK_768x432.JPG

"She made history by securing a spot for Iran not only at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games, but Olympics as well.
Nemati is the first Iranian woman to win an Olympic or Paralympic gold medal at London 2012.
“I am ready to make a splash in my first Olympic experience. After the 2012 Paralympic Games, I thought about taking part in Olympics and in the 2014 Asian Para Games, I made final decision and partook in Olympics qualification,” Nemati said."

I don't mean to laugh bro, but the Iranian traditional dresses look like lab coats. :lol:

Do you guys even have a traditional dress?

@Madali the number of athletes' countries that you mentioned is just about Olympic or combined with paralympic athletes..?

Sorry, not sure, bro, I didn't go in-depth. I was mainly looking for interesting info for each country.

Sorry, not sure, bro, I didn't go in-depth. I was mainly looking for interesting info for each country.

As far as I know The number of Iranian athletes is 133 in total olyimpic and paralympic ..

I don't mean to laugh bro, but the Iranian traditional dresses look like lab coats. :lol:

well that's not a traditional dress .... and for a second think that Iranians wouldn't have traditional dress ...

heh heh, this is the new and improved version. The first version was so bad everyone made fun of it that the Olympics committee in Iran was forced to change it. Look at the first version, and you know why we think this is much better,
4879227_121.jpg

Here are some nice alternative versions in this thread,
https://defence.pk/threads/iranian-olympic-team-unveils-new-uniforms-for-rio-2016-pic.441694/

We have traditional dresses, but we are a multi-ethnicity nation. There are many traditional dresses from different regions.

I think it is better not to have a traditional dress, because we have to represent the whole nation.

This way it is better to represent all ethnicities in our country,
4945251_575.jpg

heh heh, this is the new and improved version. The first version was so bad everyone made fun of it that the Olympics committee in Iran was forced to change it. Look at the first version, and you know why we think this is much better,
4879227_121.jpg

Here are some nice alternative versions in this thread,
https://defence.pk/threads/iranian-olympic-team-unveils-new-uniforms-for-rio-2016-pic.441694/

We have traditional dresses, but we are a multi-ethnicity nation. There are many traditional dresses from different regions.

I think it is better not to have a traditional dress, because we have to represent the whole nation.

This way it is better to represent all ethnicities in our country,
4945251_575.jpg

I guess, but you guys have national language, so why not national dress?

Even Pakistani nation dress shalwar kameez is inspired from Medieval Iran.

I guess, but you guys have national language, so why not national dress?

Even Pakistani nation dress shalwar kameez is inspired from Medieval Iran.

I don't know the exact reason, but I think it is to prevent being offensive to the many different regions. If we choose a national dress for the Olympics, it would have to be from one particular region, and I think it will be hurtful to the others. So, it is usually best to avoid stepping on anyone's toes, by being all-inclusive.

what can I say, we are a scientific nation .

Science can never substitute the soul. Science is boring and often times revised to accommodate the current circumstance.

The soul is endless. It seems like Pakistanis follow your poets more than you Iranians do. Iranians of today follow US tv/culture.

Science can never substitute the soul. Science is boring and often times revised to accommodate the current circumstance.

The soul is endless. It seems like Pakistanis follow your poets more than you Iranians do. Iranians of today follow US tv/culture.
For me following the soul is boring as proof you can watch the movie "Eat, Pray, Love" specially the part when Julia Roberts try to meditate (from 1:11:36 to 1:12:20) or how she felt when she heard she won't have to take the 4 week silence wow and must be social and bubbly and smiling all the time (at 1:36:40)

honestly science is not boring ,when you delve into it you see its a never ending Ocean that has no Boundaries .by the way the depth of the soul is determined y person it can be as deep as oceans but sadly usually in most persons its just ankle deep.

Last edited:
For me following the soul is boring as proof you can watch the movie "Eat, Pray, Love" specially the part when Julia Roberts try to meditate (from 1:11:36 to 1:12:20)

honestly science is not boring ,when you delve into it you see its a never ending Ocean that has no Boundaries .

I'm sorry to hear that. There are no absolute answers within science, but many times there are answers for a spiritual person. Whether you believe or not, is completely irrelevant. Using your brain to discipline your actions is a feat in it self.

I feel sorry that you need the current understanding of western science as opposed to Rumi or Iqbal Lahori. Your thoughts should coincide, If you are truly a deep thinker. It's not as If they are contradictory to each other.

Take blessing from Allah swt, your family and set your right foot into the realm of metaphysics.

Try to think about it. Is there a right or wrong? Where does the sense of morality stem from? These are some very beautiful things to think about.

I'm sorry to hear that. There are no absolute answers within science, but many times there are answers for a spiritual person. Whether you believe or not, is completely irrelevant. Using your brain to discipline your actions is a feat in it self.

I feel sorry that you need the current understanding of western science as opposed to Rumi or Iqbal Lahori. Your thoughts should coincide, If you are truly a deep thinker. It's not as If they are contradictory to each other.

Take blessing from Allah swt, your family and set your right foot into the realm of metaphysics.

Try to think about it. Is there a right or wrong? Where does the sense of morality stem from? These are some very beautiful things to think about.
in science there is no absolute answer is not always true, mathematics have absolute answers . and not always absolutes of belief are correct otherwise inquisition didn't question Galileo beliefs. and I believe Rumi and Iqbal Lahuri thughts are beautiful but why I must accept them without questioning ?does my brain is less worthy than theirs ?
its the belief that let the Muslims who were vanguard of science fell behind European. I look at Iran and I see that for several hundred years after death Mula-Sadra and Sheikh Bahai in our school they didn't teach the students how to question things , how to innovate ,.... in those dark years the students only taught to accept what they were told ,only rad books and recite them like parrot . in those years European advanced their science as fast as they could ,the result was heart breaking at the beginning of 20th centuries.

Back
Top Bottom