What's new

MBDA offered Taurus missile for su-30

"We have received a Request for Information (RFI) from the IAF for a stand-off long range missile from the IAF and we have offered the Taurus missiles as we feel that it meets all the desired requirements," Anders Axebark, the business development manager for the missile systems told a group of Indian journalists here.

The interesting point here is, that he doesn't mention the MKI at all, just the author of the article says that it will be part of the MKI upgrade, which leaves us with the question is this just another media hype? That IAF wants new standoff missiles is true and was reported earlier this year as well:

IAF Wants Long-Range Standoff Strike Missile

Livefist: IAF Wants Long-Range Standoff Strike Missile

But even back then, the MKI was never meant to be the platform to get these missiles and it wouldn't even make sense to integrate them on it, since IAF would be completelly dependent in the deep penetration strike role on a single fighter. IAF has already selected Brahmos for MKI and will add Nirbhay in the long term, that's why it's more logical that they add another missiles on a different platform to be less vulnerable in war times. If there is a lesson IAF learned from Kargil war, then it was not to make themself dependent on Russian fighters alone and diversify the fleet and the capabilities, that's why it's way more likely that these missiles are meant for MMRCA fighters (possibly also for M2K, LCA) than for the MKI.
In the MMRCA thread I said it even from the start that deep strike capability will play an important role, which once again confirms my guess that this capability was also one reason why Rafale and EF was shortlisted, because they offered the longest range standoff missiles. Rafale already has them, the EF can get it if the weapons will be integrated and CFTs will be developed.

Taurus can be stealthy but who could stop bhramos even if it get dectected...
i mean , why Taurus when we have bhramos ?

Costs, the fact that even an MKI can only carry a single Brahmos, while it could carry up to 3 x other cruise missiles, terrain following capabilities of Taurus, or Stormshadow / Scalp, it's simply good to have an alternative, but it should be on a different fighter, not on MKI again.

Brahmos is 2.5 tonnes while Taurus is apx half, so in other words IAF fighter can carry 2 Taurus instead of one Brahmos. And keep in mind, Brahmos is not a peneterator like Taurus.

Any idea on whats the range the spanish bought it for?

Was it a scaled down version?

spain and germany are both nato members - MTCR wont apply ( cant find official source for this but there are examples all over - like when USA sold tomahawk to UK and cleared sales to spain but refused to sell to Israel citing mtcr)

@sancho
IA also has a requirement for such missiles. I think we should purchase the same for IA also. But regarding MBDA's offer to make land and naval version i think we should ask them to be part of Persues project. Why we need Persues ? Because Brahmos Corp. has failed to provide a smaller and lighter missile and i think we should consider being a part of Persues as it will help Brahmos Corp. also to build a smaller and lighter missile as they have planned to Brahmos 2 (hypersonic version) to be smaller and lighter.

perseus_missile_dqjxs.jpg

Requirement is not as great as it is made out to be..Most probably will be used on Jaguar (upgraded ) and MRCA...
MKI can also use this but the main standoff missile for MKI should be NIRBHAY and BRAHMOS...
At a much later stage ALCM could also be used..

Warhead 500 kg, Mephisto (Multi-Effect Penetrator, HIgh Sophisticated and Target Optimised)

Weight 1,100 kg

Precision, guidance and design mostly.

what is price of this missile and is this missile has ability to destroy submarine

Back
Top Bottom