What's new

Majority Pakistanis want legislation to be influenced by Islam, survey reveals

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: Around 78 per cent of Pakistan’s population “strictly supports” that the teachings of Holy Quran should influence the country’s laws, a report said.

A research report issued by Pew Research Center on Wednesday titled “Whether Quran should influence laws in countries” posed the question to respondents from 10 countries with significant Muslim populations.

The question was posed in the following words: “Which of the following three statements comes closer to your view: Laws in your country should strictly follow the teachings of the Quran, laws in your country should follow the values and principles of Islam but not strictly follow the teachings of Quran, laws in your country should not be influenced by the teachings of the Quran.”

The report noted a striking variation in the extent to which people think the Holy Quran should influence their nation’s laws.

In Pakistan, the Palestinian territories, Jordan, Malaysia and Senegal, roughly half or more of the full population says that laws in their country should strictly follow the teachings of the Holy Quran, said the report.

By contrast, in Burkina Faso, Turkey, Lebanon and Indonesia, less than a quarter agree for this. While only 13% of Turkish respondents “strictly support” Islamic influence on legislation, Saudi Arabia and Iran were conspicuously absent from the survey despite their considerable Muslim populations.

The second category of respondents – those who feel legislations should be enacted following the principles of Islam but “not strictly” – amassed at 16%.

Only 2 per cent of the approached Pakistani respondents were of the view that the country’s laws should not be influenced by the Holy Quran.

When contacted for a comment, PML-N minority lawmaker Dr. Ramesh Kumar Vankwani told Dawn said that religion should preferably be away from legislation.

“If there is a consensus on following religious practices in legislation then the true essence of the Holy Quran should be implemented — which talks of peace and harmony,” he said.

Dr. Kumar was of the opinion that if Quranic teachings are implemented in legislations then the preaching of other religions should also be used when formulating laws for its followers.

“But this will only see the majority rulings getting approved while those of minorities will face hindrance,” he concluded.

The report shares the main findings of a recent Pew Research Center survey of 10,194 respondents, with results reflecting a full country sample including Muslims and Non-Muslims.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1254770/

@Horus @Oscar @Jango @Gufi @haviZsultan @pak-marine @Spring Onion @Secur

Last edited:
My grandfather, under the guidance of Maulana Syed Durrani, migrated from India to Pakistan, leaving all his wealth behind, because he was told that 'Pakistan Ka Matlab Kya? La ilaha ilallah''.

And the foreign-boot licking, self hating liberals have snatched that dream away and insulted the sacrifices of millions like him.

Without Islam and shariah, Pakistan will be useless.

Misleading. Which brand of Islam are we talking about? Shia? Sunni? Sufi? Ahmediyyah? Barelvi?

Each sect interprets the Quran differently, even if it is slight. Indeed, this idea that all Muslims, regardless of sect, would all have the same idea of what this means, is naive at best. If a legislation is brought forth that adheres only to Sunni Islamic teachings, you can be sure that Shia lawmakers would object to it, and vice versa.

I have always liked PEW's research, as they're always thorough, but I believe PEW has itself said to be careful when using their data, as it is not the end all be all. Such research and data gathering can only show you so much, thus it should only be interpreted as an estimate.

While I think you cannot take Islam out of Pakistan, simply because Pakistan's main identity is Islamic, I think Pakistanis need to be careful of what they're asking for.

Misleading. Which brand of Islam are we talking about? Shia? Sunni? Sufi? Ahmediyyah? Barelvi?

Each sect interprets the Quran differently, even if it is slight. Indeed, this idea that all Muslims, regardless of sect, would all have the same idea of what this means, is naive at best. If a legislation is brought forth that adheres to Sunni Islamic teachings, you can be sure that Shia lawmakers would object to it, and vice versa.

I have always liked PEW's research, as they're always thorough, but I believe PEW has itself said to be careful when using their data, as it is not the end all be all. Such research and data gathering can only show you so much, thus it should only be interpreted as an estimate.

Thats not true. Former Grand Mufti of Pakistan, Mufti Rafi Usmani, mentions that all the ulema from the different sects: Deobandi, Barelvi, Ahl e hadith, Shia, Maulana Maududi etc came together and discussed their differences and they came to an agreement on what laws they want. And the Islamic Ideology Council still has the files of the agreed upon laws which the government is too lazy to implement.

Pakistan was being created because of Qur'an teaching. So there must be implemented Qur'anic law on its people. Otherwise there was no need to create Pakistan . so I'm in favour of view.

Thats not true. Former Grand Mufti of Pakistan, Mufti Rafi Usmani, mentions that all the ulema from the different sects: Deobandi, Barelvi, Ahl e hadith, Shia, Maulana Maududi etc came together and discussed their differences and they came to an areement on what laws they want. And the Islamic Ideology Council still has the files of the agreed upon laws which the government is too lazy to implement.
Source?

Even if this is true, which laws are we talking about? What about future laws? The truth is that it is easy to talk about it, but extremely difficult to implement.

Why not than they vote to nam nehad half religious half political parties? For that 78% please next time do that:coffee:

This..

Pakistan is a democracy that has undergone two consecutive elections.. In the 2008 election they voted for N and ppp and Q in mass bulks giving them over 10.6 mil, 6.8 mol and 8 mil votes.

While in 2013 election they gave N 14.5 mil, pti 7.9 mil and ppp 6.7 mil...

The Islamic parties have been struggling heavily to make a provincial govt much less a power in federal.

I never believe surveys and I am sure that 99 percent of the Muslims in Pakistan will say yes due to the nature of the question but they will never bring it to practice due to various issues.

its true, but people dont want Mullah's version of Islam, they want a progressive Islamic state which lead Muslim world to future.. but for that we need leadership like Great Jinnah for this task..

Islam is Islam and rules and regulations are well elaborated and are very similar in all sects as far as rule of Islam is concerned.
(Qadiyani are not Muslims)
Why not than they vote to nam nehad half religious half political parties? For that 78% please next time do that:coffee:
They simply don't believe that those political parties who try to score political points using Islam are not worthy enough to bring laws and their implementations according to Islam. Plz don't think that what ever JUI and JI says is ''Islamic system''
its true, but people dont want Mullah's version of Islam, they want a progressive Islamic state which lead Muslim world to future.. but for that we need leadership like Great Jinnah for this task..
:tup:

Last edited:
My grandfather, under the guidance of Maulana Syed Durrani, migrated from India to Pakistan, leaving all his wealth behind, because he was told that 'Pakistan Ka Matlab Kya? La ilaha ilallah''.

And the foreign-boot licking, self hating liberals have snatched that dream away and insulted the sacrifices of millions like him.

Without Islam and shariah, Pakistan will be useless.
First of all the all so called mulla tolla were against creation of Pakistan second the current Islami Jamhuria Pakistan based on Sharia( implementing it ? ) there is again something wrong with that mulla tolla who make that happen and now we are adha Titar Adhaa btair. That mulla tolla who were against creation of this state hijacked it later and on name of Islam they are free to do what they want.
Now come on Sharia, it was great great Quaid e Azam who gives us this land and I'm fully agree if we have a sharia the sect he was belong. Do u agree on it?

Vote apni biradri kay banday ko dena hay :D
Ye mulla tolla phir kis biradari Se hain? inn Se achi tou WO biradari hai:p: masoom log:D:

No one can dare to say NO to this question when asked but when it comes to individual practices, the story is quite opposite in quite a number of cases. We want laws according to Islam but follow a routine that fits us. Thats an irony but fact.
thats called bigotry in layman language

Back
Top Bottom