What's new

M60 Phoenix Main Battle Tank

But still it is interesting if could blend in this tech in Alkhalid-2 . what u say?

But still it is interesting if could blend in this tech in Alkhalid-2 . what u say?

I don't think that there is anything special in this tank to add to Al-Khalid tank except for the ERA. As I sated before, those two tanks belong to two different doctrines in which the first one is Western while the second is Eastern.

I didn't say they aren't in par with Western tanks in terms of quality, I meant they are mainly based on Eastern doctrine of tanks destination, in terms of lower height, lighter weight, 125 mm main gun, 3 crews, auto loading system...etc.

When it comes to Pakistan Armed forces, their weapon systems are not based on typical East or West Doctrine, rather on specific requirements of the end user of those systems. This is why AK is a combination of technologies from both east and west, that suits the user.

When it comes to Pakistan Armed forces, their weapon systems are not based on typical East or West Doctrine, rather on specific requirements of the end user of those systems. This is why AK is a combination of technologies from both east and west, that suits the user.

My friend, even Russian T-90 uses French thermal system, but it still a typical eastern tank. The same thing goes for AK.

My friend, even Russian T-90 uses French thermal system, but it still a typical eastern tank. The same thing goes for AK.

MY point is just that despite it looks Eastern, it is not based on East Doctrine, rather on the specifications of the end user, a "plug and play" system, as far as i know, no Russian mbt till date has been based on "plug and play" doctrine including the T-7 BU/ T-90 variants.

MY point is just that despite it looks Eastern, it is not based on East Doctrine, rather on the specifications of the end user, a "plug and play" system, as far as i know, no Russian mbt till date has been based on "plug and play" doctrine including the T-7 BU/ T-90 variants.

Actually depends on WHICH T-90 variant. For example the T-90S that was proposed to KSA was going to have extensive french Thales Involvement. Until Thales and KSA ran afoul at one point.

Actually depends on WHICH T-90 variant. For example the T-90S that was proposed to KSA was going to have extensive french Thales Involvement. Until Thales and KSA ran afoul at one point.

Excluding the latest T-90MS which is still at prototype stage, the earlier T-90 had certain design restrictions including a cramped turret which was unable to support a hunter killer system, appropriate air conditioning, a true Battle Management System among others. Thermal Imager malfunctioned more often due to this, no electronic turret control facility among others. Read Fofanov's blog on Russian MBT developments, always a good read.

Nabil bhai isn't that valid for most things that Pakistan goes for ? I mean even our F-7s and our F-7PGs or even the JF-17 for that matter are, from what I understand, quite different from their original versions. Most of the stuff we go for is tailor made keeping in mind a shortage of funds in the present and the capability of upgrading the said 'asset' over its useful-life ! For example, unless I'm mistaken, I understand that both the Al-Khalid and the JF-17s were designed in a way that they are, how should I put this, flexible enough to be upgraded sometimes in some significant ways for example the engines for either of those two assets.

Nabil bhai isn't that valid for most things that Pakistan goes for ? I mean even our F-7s and our F-7PGs or even the JF-17 for that matter are, from what I understand, quite different from their original versions. Most of the stuff we go for is tailor made keeping in mind a shortage of funds in the present and the capability of upgrading the said 'asset' over its useful-life ! For example, unless I'm mistaken, I understand that both the Al-Khalid and the JF-17s were designed in a way that they are, how should I put this, flexible enough to be upgraded sometimes in some significant ways for example the engines for either of those two assets.

They call it "plug and play" systems, whatever they need, the system has enough room so they just throw it in :)

I understand that it combines western and eastern technologies. We can argue about whether it's more of an eastern or western tank as long as you like but I insist it's more of an Eastern tank, as I said before, eastern in terms of lighter weight, lower height, 3 crew members, auto loading system, 125 mm main gun, storage of fuel and ammunition, and most importantly, it's design which is based on the Chinese Type-90 tank which is an eastern tank.

I think they should mount ERA blocks on Al Khalid from the beginning. All eastern-style tanks has it. Pakistani army also demands lighter weight from their tanks so...

And plug&play or not Al Khalid is still an eastern or warsaw pact style tank whatever you call it. NATO tanks are very different.

I understand that it combines western and eastern technologies. We can argue about whether it's more of an eastern or western tank as long as you like but I insist it's more of an Eastern tank, as I said before, eastern in terms of lighter weight, lower height, 3 crew members, auto loading system, 125 mm main gun, storage of fuel and ammunition, and most importantly, it's design which is based on the Chinese Type-90 tank which is an eastern tank.

I don't like your tone young man; you will pay for this insolence ! :angry:

I don't like your tone young man; you will pay for this insolence ! :angry:

Deal with it Mr! your tank is a joke.
haters-gonna-hate-32402-1270523864-286.jpg

I think they should mount ERA blocks on Al Khalid from the beginning. All eastern-style tanks has it. Pakistani army also demands lighter weight from their tanks so...

And plug&play or not Al Khalid is still an eastern or warsaw pact style tank whatever you call it. NATO tanks are very different.

Courtesy : Nabil !

Dr AQ Khan Research Laboratories AORAK Mk 1 Explosive Reactive Armour
Date Posted: 22-May-2003

Development / Description

The Dr AQ Khan Research Laboratories, well known for the design, development and production of missile and rocket systems, have developed the AORAK Mk 1 explosive reactive armour (ERA) system to improve the combat survivability of tanks and armoured fighting vehicles against attack from Chemical Energy (CE) projectiles.
So far, the Dr AQ Khan Research Laboratories have developed three different sizes of ERA modules to meet different user requirements.
They are known as Type A, B and C and differ only in their size. Each module consists of two thin steel plates between which the explosive is inserted. This in turn is inserted in a box which is then bolted on to the hull or turret of the vehicle.
Efforts have also been made ​​to reduce the risk of accidental detonation of the ERA modules by small arms fire, shell fragments and lightning strikes as well as reducing the sympathetic detonation of surrounding ERA modules.
This armour system is claimed to have a shelf-life of 10 years and an operational temperature range of -40 to +52 º C.

Specifications

Type A
Type B
Type C

Size
305 × 305 mm
229 × 229 mm
152 × 152 mm

Weight
16 kg
9 kg
8 kg

Weight of explosive sheet
1.2 kg
0.75 kg
0.35 kg

Status

Development complete. Believed to be in low-rate production for the Pakistan Army for installation on Type 59, 69 and 85 series MBTs. Late in 2000, Pakistan showed the Al Khalid and Al Zarra MBTs fitted with ERA over their frontal arc. At this stage, the source of this ERA is not known. Al Khalid is now entering production for Pakistan with 315 to be built over a three year period.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...t-2000-information-pool-16.html#ixzz26frlQsJm

And if you go through the rest of the thread you're going to come across more information about what the AK is all about including more info on indigenous and foreign ERAs considered for the MBT !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom