What's new

Lungi March to Baridhara Park

Nobody wears Lungi, Lungi. Nobody wears dhuti as well, although it's more elegant but cumbersome than Lungi. Pant, shirt in various colours and shapes are dress of Choice here.

Farhad Mazhar could'nt go to Dhaka Club program for Lungi

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlaE5yujtqk[/video]

Writer Columnist Farhad Mazhar had a family program in Dhaka Club. He went there wearing his usual dress lungi. But the club authority did not allow him to go inside.
Farhad Mazhar attended lots of foreign programs with this dress but in his own country, he faced problem.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

A true son of the land!

club dress codes are there for a reason and very important to keep it there otherwise you tend to see a lot of substandard folks ., dress codes keep you in check. In these clubs you have to wear collar shirts and if you want to wear sandals you have to have belts with them. And in golf clubs jeans are not allowed. These clubs are privately owned so government or any other organization cant force it.

Augusta is the one of the oldest and most prestigious golf clubs in the world, over there women can't become members and is a very tightly knit community. Clubs are basically there to not pay taxes for luxury activities, everything is much cheaper there.

Thats because we've been conditioned to believe that somehow Western Attire, Mannerism, Standards of Propriety & now even Values are the epitome of all that is 'right' whereas we need to conform to them to come across as proper, cultured & civilized !

My friend, the Colonials might have left but not before leaving an indelible mark on our subconscious ! There is nothing wrong with wearing a Lungi, a Dhoti, a Shalwar Kameez or a Saree to Office ! Our ancestors wore them when they were everything from Soldiers to Rulers, in their independent kingdoms that dotted the Indian Subcontinent without considering it improper & non-professional to do so !

And yes, the Frontier Corp & the Frontier Constablry along with the Tribal Lashkars (Baluch & Pukhtoon) & even the other side (the Baluch Separatists & TTP) fight in the harshest conditions possible wearing the same Shalwar Kameez !

It is good that even though we could not quite learn many of the good things from the western society, such as discipline and mannerism or talking politely with others, at least we have learned how to wear pants and shirts. Why not use this western clothes in the work places? Wearing it in the houses and photo session with Lungi is OK. But, a person and his work itself are disrespected by the onlookers when he wears lungi during work. It is dangerous, too.

Some of our men wear Shalwar Kameez. All our women wear this dress. But, this dress is quite different from Lungi. Lungi was needed in the villages during all the centuries of floods. But, now its necessity is down because there is little flood and there are thousands and thousands of kms of Pucca roads even in the villages. Even people in the villages, those wo are a little educated, use pants and shirts. This is the present trend and I cannot criticize it.

Lungis are naturally more fashionable than dhottis. The people to our west across the border now wears lungi for sake of fashion and to upheld social status. Dhottis went extinct while lungi will rule the world. :)

I hope the women take to wearing Lungis completely. ;)

Lungis are naturally more fashionable than dhottis. The people to our west across the border now wears lungi for sake of fashion and to upheld social status. Dhottis went extinct while lungi will rule the world. :)
Wont comment on which one is more fashionable between Dhoti and Lungi. But What is this "lungi will rule the world?":rofl:

:rofl: wear shalwar under it just for caution

If one has to wear shalwar under lungi, he doesn't need lungi. People get accustomed with traditional attires, we don't face any problem. Among us who didn't get used to it from boyhood, can't wear it when they are adult. It's like traditional Scottish skirt like attire, they don't put on a pants under that :) .

Every country preserves it's national dress/costumes. If US/West can wear Pant/Shirt, Russians can wear Sarafan, Pakistanis can wear Shalwar Kameez, indians can wear dhotis than whats wrong with Bdshis wearing lungis.

Nowadays indian people almost left wearing dhoti , many of them wear lungi instead. I like dhoti, have a desire to put on once...never happened though :cry: .

Nobody wears Lungi, Lungi. Nobody wears dhuti as well, although it's more elegant but cumbersome than Lungi. Pant, shirt in various colours and shapes are dress of Choice here.

Why do you lie :what: ? I've seen all the people used to wear lungi as house attire when I was in Kolkata near Dumdum. Probably you along with your surrondings are punk generations like here in Dhaka who never put on lungi...that doesn't mean nobody wears it.

Kolkata boys in Lungi and feeling proud..
home_lungicollage1.gif

home_lungicollage2.gif

Traditional Lungi in Kolkata | Lungi Manufacturer Kolkata | Lungi Importer India

Why do you lie :what: ? I've seen all the people used to wear lungi as house attire when I was in Kolkata near Dumdum. Probably you along with your surrondings are punk generations like here in Dhaka who never put on lungi...that doesn't mean nobody wears it.
Don't tell me you have seen people wearing Lungi in streets of kolkata. Some may use it as home attire but still majority use short pant. Dhuti is only reserved for some big occasion.

Back
Top Bottom