What's new

Literacy in South Asia

I do not care much about comparision. If Pakistan is better that is good thing. What I care is India has long way to go.

There was small mistake from the part of author , still 35% of People are illiterate, It is a matter of concern, Though there have been some improvements from the past [only 35 % were literate in 1980], its not enough

Last edited:
I'm not fighting. Merely pointing out the dwindling journalistic standards in the sub continent. As someone who is actually studying to become a journalist, this kind of crap annoys me

The Little Headmaster And His Big Homework

Every day 16-year-old Babar Ali walks 10 kilometres to attend school. In the afternoon he runs his own school for other children in his village, says SAMRAT CHAKRABARTI

FIVE HOURS’ bus ride from Kolkatta, just past the railway crossing at Beldanga, is a dilapidated concrete structure covered in half-torn posters variously advertising a Marxian utopia, films for red-blooded adults and bedroom advice for couples intent on children. Inside, in a tiny, dank room behind a desk, sits someone the Queen of England knows by name – and you should too. Lanky, awkward and at 16, the possessor of a faint fuzz above his upper lip, this is Babar Ali: the world’s youngest school headmaster.

Behind the office, next to a garbage dump, is a gate that opens into Babar Ali’s home. Rows of children, arranged in differently facing rectangles, sit under blue sky and spare shade with mostly quiet concentration, some squinting hard at their copies, others squinting hard at their neighbours’. In the middle, in khaki shorts that he is soon set to outgrow, stands the headmaster, shouting instructions, even as Class I, the squiggly rectangle in the distance, insists on giggling loudly and playing with dirt.

How hungry is India to learn? Welcome to Babar Ali’s school, where 800 kids who fell through the gaps in the formal education system walk miles to learn, free of cost, what those chalk lines on the blackboard mean. Anand Siksha Niketan grew out of a game. “We used to play school-school, with me as teacher. My friends had never seen the inside of a school, so they enjoyed playing students. They ended up learning arithmetic and enjoying it.” In 2002, the game got institutionalised, with a strength of eight.

Babar grew up better off than many others. In the Bhapta neighborhood of Gangapur village in West Bengal’s Murshidabad district, this means that he lives with three siblings and parents in a thatched room made of brick, the size of the average city kitchen. He was better off also in being the son of Nasiruddin Sheikh, a jute seller and class II dropout who believes that education is man’s true religion and initially supported his son’s venture with his own income. An occasional Rs 50 would go into buying chatais, pencils and notebooks. As word spread and the numbers grew, help began to come from other quarters: Babar’s own teachers, monks at the local Ramakrishna Mission, sympathetic IAS officers, even local cops. When Babar first thought up a mid-day meal scheme, the rice came from his father’s fields, but now, with the aid of friends in the administration, it comes from government stock.

Every morning at seven, Babar walks five kms to the Cossimbazar Raj Govinda Sundari Vidyapeeth in Beldanga, where he is a class XII student. When school ends at 1pm, he runs back to be headmaster at his own. Meanwhile, his students, done with tending to fields and buffaloes and housework, arrive in time for Tulu mashi’s opening bell. Clad in widow’s whites, stick in hand, Tulu Rani Hazra is an illiterate fishmonger by morning and a crusading educationalist by afternoon. On fish-selling rounds of nearby villages, her job is to confront erring parents who’ve stopped sending their children to school and to find new students. So far, she’s found 80.

Children not old enough to work are easier to enroll, so Class I and II have over 200 students. Class VIII has just 20 students, studying 10 subjects, mostly taught by Babar and Debarita Bhattacharya, another volunteer. The school is too bareboned to be recognised by the government but it tries to follow the West Bengal Board syllabus. Text books are free from class I to V, but for the rest money needs to be arranged. On any given day there are close to 400 students physically present in Babar’s front yard.

The school runs from 3pm to 7pm through the week and 11am to 4pm on Sundays. The teaching staff of nine is made up of high school student volunteers. The most educated, Debarita, goes to college in Behrampur. “Education dispels darkness. It’s the way to a better life around here,” says Imtiaz Sheikh, who’s in Class X. “That’s why I come to teach.” Is it hard to get the children to listen, being so young themselves? “The narrow age gap works to our advantage,” says Babar. “We are more like friends. The rod is spared in my school.”

Things weren’t always this smooth. There were jibes from elders: what’s the point of teaching those who don’t get enough to eat? How will girls get married if they are educated? Babar’s father, who thinks the worst insult is to be illiterate, not only dismissed the talk but also made sure his daughter Amina, in class IX, was consecrated into long division. Now, the school is filled with these one-squaremeal daughters of labourers and farmers, like Mamataz Begum and Moniyara Khatun, a mother-daughter duo who travel 20km to Babar’s school, the mother studying in class VII and the daughter in class III. “I couldn’t help my daughter with her homework so I decided to study,” says Mamataz Begum.

RECENTLY INVITED to speak at and become a Fellow at the hallowed Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED) conference, Babar is now recognised as a social entrepreneur of high worth. In the last year, French documentary filmmakers, South Korean journalists and a BBC television crew have all told Babar’s story to a global audience far removed from sleepy Bhapta. Babar has never heard of Facebook, which has a page dedicated to him. He has heard rumours of an internet. He understands the computer, he says, but what are people saying about him on the internet?

The headmaster’s next dream is a pucca building. He dreams, too, of shining labs, a sports ground, perhaps even an auditorium. But that’s for later. At any rate, his school is not deterred from celebrating an annual sports day and cultural day. If imagination is a resource, then Babar Ali’s school is rolling in the stuff. Hope is the currency in which it trades – and in each laughing face of a dusty child, the audacity to **** a snook at circumstance.

The parts that now constitute Pakistan were among the least developed regions of India prior to 1947, and the last to be conquered by the British,according to an eminent Pakistani economist Dr. Kaiser Bengali. The British rule in Sind, Baluchistan and NWFP lasted about 100 years and these regions were considered the periphery of the British Raj in India. At the time of independence in 1947, the overall literacy rate in India was 12.2%, and the parts that became Pakistan probably had an even lower rate of literacy in single digits.

Pakistan has come a long way in terms of industrial and infrastructure development since 1947, and it is now more than competitive vis-a-vis India. Of the six basic indicators of food, clothing, housing, sanitation, healthcare, and basic literacy, Pakistan is ahead on the first five, lagging marginally behind India in basic literacy.

Although literacy in Pakistan has grown by about 13% during President Mushsarraf's rule to about 56%, it remains woefully low when compared to other South Asian nations. Ranked at 141 on a list of 177 countries, Pakistan's human development ranking remains very low. Particularly alarming is the low primary school enrollment for girls which stands at about 30% in rural areas, where the majority of Pakistanis live.

Haq's Musings: Low Literacy Rates Threaten Pakistan's Future

Haq's Musings: Food, Clothing and Shelter in India and Pakistan

Haq's Musings: South Asians' Primary Duty to Children

I do not care much about comparision. If Pakistan is better that is good thing. What I care is India has long way to go.
It is not only India, but all the countries of SA have to go a long way in terms of literacy and other social sectors.

It is good that the Government of India is acknowledging the contributions of Maulana Azad by celebrating his birthday as 'National Educational Day'.

Many don't know the fact that Azad played a significant role in the establishment of IITs across India. He is perhaps one of the most influential Muslim politicians India ever had.

And my engineering college is named after him :)
Maulana Azad College of technology ( REC Bhopal)

Now its been renamed to
Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Saturday that the root cause of terrorism was illiteracy and his government had resolved to provide better education in the country.

Speaking at the inauguration of up-gradation of the NAMAL College in Mianwali to a university — a project launched by PTI chairman Imran Khan — Gilani said Imran Khan was doing a great service in the field of education in a remote area of Pakistan.

The premier praised the PTI chairman for setting up the institute, saying giving access to education was a noble cause because knowledge was power.

“Education and the provision of health facilities is the top priority of his government and we will focus on these issues,” he added. Prime Minister Gilani attended the ceremony at the residence of Imran Khan, defying security threats.

He announced 100 scholarships worth Rs200,000 each for the students of the NAMAL University. Degree classes at the university commenced from Saturday. Ambassadors and top elite of Islamabad was also present at the dinner hosted by Imran Khan.

In a brief speech, Prime Minister Gilani recalled that his forefathers were instrumental in setting up educational institutions in Multan and one of such institutes was still considered best in the region. He said it was his earnest desire to follow his forefathers.

Prime Minister Gilani said the government would strive to give best emoluments to the teachers so that they could fully concentrate on educating the future generations of Pakistan. He also lauded the services being rendered by the Shaukat Khanum Hospital in Lahore, also set up by the former cricketer.

Speaking on the occasion, Imran Khan briefed the audience about his aim to make the project a success. Imran Khan said it was not a political function and he had invited the people above the party line.

In his witty remarks, he said: “I wanted to invite President Asif Ali Zardari here but due to security situation I did not do so because if any thing happened to him then I might be prime suspect”.

Later, when reporters approached Prime Minister Gilani for a press talk, Imran Khan requested him not to hold press talk, saying it would make the function a political event because political questions would be asked.

The other day I was watching a video in youtube ( was shot on 14th Aug) the show had Zaid Hamid and Imran khan as guests. Out of all BS that was being discussed, the only stuff that I really loved and appreciated was, Imran is really passionate about increasing the literacy rate and standard of education in India.

The points and views that Imran put is applicable equally to India and Pakistan.

Education is the real power.

Something is really wrong here, especially the line that is highlighted.

Country Adult Literacy Rate Youth Literacy Rate
China 91% (2000-2005) [4] 98.9% (2004)[5]
India 66% (2000-2007)[6] 82% (2000-2007)[7]
Nepal 44.0 62.7
Pakistan 56.2[8] 53.9
Sri Lanka 92.0 98.0
Bangladesh 41.1 49.7

Source: Literacy in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not sure if I can have faith in the wiki source, but of true the result is alarming for Pakistan.

Among all the countries here only Pakistan has a negative trend, The youth should be more liteate and that proves that we are doing something.

Please correct me if I am wrong

I am not sure if I can have faith in the wiki source, but of true the result is alarming for Pakistan.

Among all the countries here only Pakistan has a negative trend, The youth should be more liteate and that proves that we are doing something.

Please correct me if I am wrong

India's numbers in Wiki are backed with sources. So you can read them.

It is good that we are getting 82%, still I think that is not good enough. We need to increase it 95%+ that is only way to achieve true Indian dream.

Though I have no stats on this, but I think our laggard states are Bihar, Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, UP, Orrisa and West Bengal. I dont know what can be to motivate these motivate to states to catch up to rest of India.

UNICEF has the following numbers:

Pakistan

Youth (15–24 years) literacy rate, 2000–2007*, male 80%

Youth (15–24 years) literacy rate, 2000–2007*, female 60%

India

Youth (15–24 years) literacy rate, 2000–2007*, male 87%

Youth (15–24 years) literacy rate, 2000–2007*, female 77%

The other day I was watching a video in youtube ( was shot on 14th Aug) the show had Zaid Hamid and Imran khan as guests. Out of all BS that was being discussed, the only stuff that I really loved and appreciated was, Imran is really passionate about increasing the literacy rate and standard of education in India.

The points and views that Imran put is applicable equally to India and Pakistan.

Education is the real power.

hmmm why would Imran Khan be passionate about increasing the standard of education in India, Imran Khan is Pakistani from Pakistan who is leading a Pakistani political party, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, he has absolutely nothing to do with India.

SAARC members to spend 6pc GDP for mass edn

SAARC countries have agreed to spend six percent of their GDP for primary and mass education in order to achieve the goal of eradicating illiteracy.

This was announced in the Dhaka Declaration made at the Second Ministerial Meeting of the South Asia Education for All (EFA) Forum at Sonergaon Hotel in the city on Monday.

Minister for Primary and Mass Education Dr Afsarul Ameen said this at a press conference after the meeting. State Minister for Primary and Mass Education Md Motahar Hossain, Primary and Mass Education Secretary Badrul Alam Tarafdar, Maldives Minister Dr Mustafa Lutfi, Nepal's State Minister Govinda Chaudary and high officials of different countries were present.

Replying to a query, the minister said the previous target of spending four percent of GDP for mass and primary education could not be achieved, but leaders of the countries have fixed the new target to achieve by next two years.

He said the Third Ministerial meeting would be held in India in 2011, with its theme "Reaching the Unreached" with the focus on implementation of the Kathmandu Joint Statement, Islamabad Declaration and Dhaka Declaration.

"The participating South Asian countries would ensure wide dissemination of the Dhaka Declaration among with strategies formulated to reach the unreached and play a proactive role incorporating and reflecting the commitment of the declaration through reviewing the National Plans of Action for EFA as well as other working documents and activities," he added.

The countries have agreed to enforce the right to education for all effectively, if needed through amendment or fresh legislation to make it justifiable.

They are determined to ensure better coordination and cooperation among the countries of the South Asia for resource mobilization, Dr Afsaruddin said adding that the developing partners and corporate sectors have been urged to increase and provide funding for enduring realisation of EFA goals by 2015.

Replying to queries, Mass and Primary education Secretary said Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has announced her commitment of eradicating illiteracy from the country by the year 2014 and for this her government would increase investment in education, especially primary and mass education.

Since education is the main tool to ensure implementation of the government's vision-2021 for building a Digital Bangladesh, the government is committed to ensure education for all," he added.

Madrassas to impart technical education also: WIF chairman
Ludhiana:
The madrassas, known for imparting religious and moral education to children will now start imparting technical education. This was disclosed by Maulana Isa Mansuri, Chairman, World Islamic Forum, during his maiden visit to the city.

Mansuri who came from UK, said, “The Muslims in India are lagging behind in literacy because the Indian Muslims did not get justice from the Central government as far as educational facilities are concerned. In the last 60 years, none of the governments at the centre ever tried to pay heed to the basic requirement of education to the Indian Muslims. This has also been said in the Sachhar Committee report. “

Mansuri, who is visiting the historic Jama Masjid along with Maulana Yaqoob Bulandshehri, chairman of All India Dini Madrassa Board, said, “We are also starting technical education in the madrassas. To start with, we inaugurated a computer centre yesterday at Saharanpur in Marif Quran madrassa and also at a madrassa which educates girls in the same city. “

He said, “We will travel across 15 states of India with a mission to identify the difficulties being faced by the Muslims in getting educated and will submit a report to the the UPA government, which has shown intent raise literacy levels of the Muslims. There are more than 1 lakh madrassas in India.”

He said, “The European media links madrassas with terrorism, which is not true. ”’

Shahi Imam of Punjab, Maulana Habib-ur-Rehman Sani Ludhianavi, said, “We are also going to uplift the standard of ther madrassa being run at Jama Masjid under Al Habib Charitable Trust. We have 120 students here. From coming session, we will will also impart education to these children up to class V in accordance with the syllabus prepared by Punjab School Education Board, Mohali, and will later extend it to class X. A computer centre is also being opened for these children shortly.”

----------------
I may also add that although predominantly muslims attend madrassas, many disadvantaged non-muslims also take advantage of them for their free / low fee requirements.

Back
Top Bottom