What's new

KSA launches world’s largest solar plant

al-Hasani

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
2vvm9a1.jpg

POWER SAVER: The Jeddah Municipality would launch street lighting through the solar power. (AN photo)

JEDDAH: IRFAN MOHAMMED

Published — Friday 22 November 2013

Last update 22 November 2013 12:20 am

Saudi Arabia has launched the world’s largest solar power plant on the roof of the Princess Nora University in Riyadh. The plant covers an area of 36,000 sqm.
The Kingdom is looking to use solar energy for at least 10 percent of its total energy needs and aims to generate 5 gw of solar energy by 2020.

Indeed, the prominent viability of solar energy in a sun-filled region has become the Kingdom’s new challenge.
With average temperatures sometimes exceeding 40 degrees Celsius in certain parts of the country, Saudi Arabia records more sunshine than anywhere in Europe or most of the USA. At 5 kw per sqm, solar radiation production in the Kingdom is higher than in most parts of the world.
As one of the fastest growing economies of the world, the Kingdom’s energy consumption is on a yearly upward trend, creating the need to look for alternative energy sources.
Solar energy seems to be the most viable option, yet has not been able to make significant progress when compared with other GCC countries.
In a significant move, municipalities in the Kingdom are opting to use the solar power system for street lighting to promote environmentally-friendly energy consumption in the Kingdom.
The Jeddah Municipality announced on Wednesday that it would launch street lighting through the solar power system in strategically important locations of the city.
It revealed that it has launched the first pilot project in the third Ruwais district in Jeddah.
It also intends to launch similar solar power projects in five different locations in the city, of which four are in the busy Red Sea off-shore area and one in Rehab district.
The Jeddah Municipality also stated that the solar power project will be evaluated after six months and will replace the existing electrical lighting system in the city based on the results.
The Makkah Municipality is building its own solar plant with an estimated capacity of 100 mw at an estimated cost of SR2.4 billion to supply power to 35 tunnels and street lights in the holy city in a bid to save electricity. The Madinah Municipality is also using solar power for lighting up its parks.
The Ministry of Islamic affairs, Endowments, Dawah and Guidance is planning to switch to solar energy at mosques to heat water for ablution and for air-conditioning systems.

KSA launches world’s largest solar plant | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

KSA is going solar, Iran is going nuclear. Looks like middle east wants to go green.

Aren't you guys sending wrong message to rest of the world??

You also need nuclear to and perhaps wind , I do not know how is it on the red sea side of Saudi Arabia but Egypt has several wind power plants on their red sea side.

Wind power is cool on the North to the northeast of KSA, but not the west :(

But the west coast is rich in natural gas though :D

Oi @Arabian Legend @Yzd Khalifa & @al-Hasani - If @BLACKEAGLE doesn't stop ignoring me can you please tie him up to a pole butt-naked of course in the middle of this Solar Plant so that hes begging for forgiveness from me which I wouldn't be giving because I'd like to see him looking like a burnt Jordanian Kebab served with some Hummus & freshly baked Pita bread ! :)

Wait aren't skinny Jordanians with nostrils the size of the Channel Tunnel connecting England to France, haraaam to eat ? :bad:

Damn it...so he lives ! :hitwall:

You also need nuclear to and perhaps wind , I do not know how is it on the red sea side of Saudi Arabia but Egypt has several wind power plants on their red sea side.

There is not much wind in the coastal region of the Red Sea. Well, actually there are but I am afraid that it would disturb the nature if one started to built wind farms. Some of the over 1150 Saudi Arabian islands in the Red Sea would be a good place for wind energy though since they lie at the open sea.

But in the West (Hijaz) you would have to look for all the mountainous areas which form most of Hijaz. There is potential for wind energy there.

But as Khalifa said, then the North and Northeast are the best places for wind and also the center (Najd). Overall it can often get windy in those regions, especially due to the Shamal wind.

Saudis should use their oil money to help the ummah instead of spending it on ridiculous projects with a Dismal ROI.

KSA has the potential to entirely be powered by alternative means of energy and to be world largest exporter of Solar by 2025. One step ahead, Thanx bro for sharing.

It would be nice to see Saudi Arabia entirely powered by alternative energy, GoGreen we love The Earth!:tup:

Saudis should use their oil money to help the ummah instead of spending it on ridiculous projects with a Dismal ROI.

They already did, they give a lot of donation to help Muslim worldwide

Back
Top Bottom