What's new

Khuzdar, Balochistan

does forestation increase the amount of rain?

I think not. It is usually an indicator that large trees get enough water from rains and enough nourishment from the soil. If either of these two is deficient, forests are unlikely to grow.

But forest covers help in preventing soil erosion and also help percolate the rainfall better, increasing the ground-water table.

@Indischer Sibbi is probably the most dry city of Baluchistan and probably the hottest in Pakistan... its like an oven during summers.

Also cities like Zhob,Pishin,Ziarat,Quetta receive quiet a lot of rain... while cities like Panjgur,Turbat etc not so much.. but they produce the best dates in the whole world.. :lol:

I think not. It is usually an indicator that large trees get enough water from rains and enough nourishment from the soil. If either of these two is deficient, forests are unlikely to grow.

But forest covers help in preventing soil erosion and also help percolate the rainfall better, increasing the ground-water table.

hmm, i think forestation is relatively easy in mountainous places because i think that they rocky/mountainous terrain store relatively higher amounts of underground water

@Indischer Sibbi is probably the most dry city of Baluchistan and probably the hottest in Pakistan... its like an oven during summers.

Also cities like Zhob,Pishin,Ziarat,Quetta receive quiet a lot of rain... while cities like Panjgur,Turbat etc not so much.. but they produce the best dates in the whole world.. :lol:

I also found another interesting thing. The name Quetta means Forttress. And the root word is actually cognate with Dravidian words for Fort( 'Kote' in Kannada and 'Kottai' in Tamil).
Since there exists a Dravidian language in Balochistan(Brahui), could Quetta have come from this?

hmm, i think forestation is relatively easy in mountainous places because i think that they rocky/mountainous terrain store relatively higher amounts of underground water

Dost, on the contrary, it's difficult to regrow forests in mountainous regions. Since the terrain is slopy, a lot of good topsoil, which contains most of the nourishment needed by plants, tend to get washed away in rains. The tree roots too find it difficult to penetrate the soil deep if the soil is rocky. Hence, it's much better that any forests in mountainous regions are not logged off.

I also found another interesting thing. The name Quetta means Forttress. And the root word is actually cognate with Dravidian words for Fort( 'Kote' in Kannada and 'Kottai' in Tamil).
Since there exists a Dravidian language in Balochistan(Brahui), could Quetta have come from this?

Kot is also a Pashto word meaning fortress.... due to the mountains surrounding Chiltan,murdaar,zarghoon n taktu...was always part of the Kalat state... And was inhabited by Baluch and Pashtun tribes.... the Hazaras prosecuted by the Afghans came in the 18th century?

I think Khan of Kalat also married a daughter of Ahmed Shah Abdali..

Kot is also a Pashto word meaning fortress.... due to the mountains surrounding Chiltan,murdaar,zarghoon n taktu...was always part of the Kalat state... And was inhabited by Baluch and Pashtun tribes....

I think Khan of Kalat also married a daughter of Ahmed Shah Abdali..
Yeah....Pathankot & Ranikot immediately comes to mind. Really interesting to find the same word for fortress in such disparate languages.

89434166.jpg
40256969.jpg
53237934.jpg
58042528.jpg
89354559.jpg
89354568.jpg

Yeah....Pathankot & Ranikot immediately comes to mind. Really interesting to find the same word for fortress in such disparate languages.

Ranikot is in Sindh..

Back
Top Bottom