What's new

Kashmir youth aspire to join Indian Army

Bhai Zakir

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Kashmir youth aspire to join Indian Army

With Kashmir becoming safer and more peaceful, more and more young people are applying to become military officers.

By Amin Masoodi for Khabar South Asia in Srinagar

August 15, 2012

120815_AMIN_IN_KASHARMY.jpg

Kashmiri youths line up at Kendriya Vidyalaya, a school run by the army in Sonwar, Srinagar on August 5th to take the written test to become officers in the Indian Army. [Amin Masoodi/Khabar]

The turnaround in views could not be more dramatic. Kashmiri youth who once thought of the Indian military as a hated enemy are now flocking to join it.

On August 5th, hundreds of graduate and post-graduate candidates from across the valley lined up in the rain at Kendriya Vidyalaya, an army-run school in Sonwar, Srinagar to take the written test required for becoming an officer in the Territorial Army (TA).

"I'm well prepared and will hopefully pass the test," Naseer Ahmad Bhat, 27, told Khabar South Asia. "My parents, relatives and friends have wished me best of luck. To be an army officer is my passion."

Shamas-u-din Gojri, 26, an arts graduate from Uri Baramulla, came well-prepared. "I have taken special coaching classes to crack the test," he said.

The newfound enthusiasm for army recruitment is due to multiple factors, analysts say. One is the growing unemployment rate in Kashmir, which has spurred young people to look for opportunities where they can and Army job is most sought after. "Educated but jobless youth in the Valley are desperate for jobs," Noor Mohammad Baba, Head of the Political Science department at Kashmir University, told Khabar.

Abdul Gani Malik, Minister for Higher Education Labour and Employment, said it is a "good sign" that young people are showing increased interest. "It will help a great deal in dealing with the problem of growing unemployment in the Valley," he told Khabar.

The waning of extremist violence in Kashmir is also playing a role. People are beginning to view the area as peaceful again, as evidenced by the Valley's rebounding tourism numbers.

"As a result of a remarkable change in the ground situation marked with declining violence, youth feel secure in joining the army for jobs.

Due to turbulence in preceding years and potential fears concerning the belt force (the Central Reserve Police Force, paramilitary and police), youth refrained from availing themselves of such job opportunities," Baba explained.

Moreover, perceptions of the Indian Army appear to be changing, with more Kashmiris now crediting it for helping to preserve the peace.

"The army is doing a commendable job," Mohammad Ashraf Malik, 30, a post-graduate from Bohipora Kupwara, told Khabar. "The nation sleeps sound only when soldiers protect its borders against the enemy." :tup::smokin:

"My selection as TA officer would be a dream come true. I want to serve the nation," he added, expressing a feeling of patriotism.

Kashmir youth aspire to join Indian Army - khabarsouthasia.com

Guys,I know some people are really anti Indian but many have sacrificed their life for the country.The sacrifices that Kashmiris have made serving in SOG and PARA SF is truly remarkable.

All this BS that you see here is a small fraction of the society...or else how can the J&K Police look after the state if Kashmiris were so Anti Indian wont the Police help the terrorists as they are Kashmris.

Moreover these anti Indians are only present in Srinagar and Kupwara...and only fools would think Kupwara and Srinagar is complete J&K..There are so many regions which are pro Indian like Jammu,Rajouri,Poonch,Leh,Ladakh,Kargil etc.

It would be very ideal way to bring the misguided youths in the state back to mainstream.

Great. Kashmiris should join Indian Armed Forces in large numbers. There is a lot of unemployment in Kashmir....

The fcuking Maoists called for black day on I-Day...and how many actually observed black day
as per their wishes? Maybe not even themselves...

They don't aspire to join the army..they aspire for jobs..like the rest of India.
Ridiculously high unemployment rate in J&K because of total lack of pvt investments.

They don't aspire to join the army..they aspire for jobs..like the rest of India.
Ridiculously high unemployment rate in J&K because of total lack of pvt investments.

It's b'coz of Article 370 & terrorism that is hindering the progress of J&K, under article 370, no person out of J&K can buy property inside J&K, if the private players cannot buy property, why will they invest. This leaves Kashmir with only tourism as the largest source of income, that to is hindered by the terrorism problem faced by J&K.

Back
Top Bottom