What's new

Kashmir front - High Wing loading JF17, F-16 and Mi35

Hi dear @araz
I will begin my response touching two major areas from your comment-
(a) Tejas
(b) Wing loading of JF-17 and how it might potentially define the instantaneous and sustained turn rates.
I would like to make it very clear that I do not wish to delve into the strategy of war fighting and certainly the figure of 1:2 or 1:x is rather debatable and would depend on a lot of parameters viz- network centricity,sophistication of the platform,various countermeasures,degree of threat in which either of aircrafts fly etc etc. I will leave this debate to other members and shall focus on (a) and (b) on strictly technical lines.

(a)Tejas as you have wrongly pointed out wont be just a "experimental technological demonstrator".It was and is supposed to replace the mig-21s. It sure wont be a cutting edge or even IAF's top of the line fighting platform but it will fulfill itz intended role in bigger scheme of things in IAF. India has already spent close to $2.5-$3bn(by varying estimates) on just the R&D of tejas. This R&D includes a lot more than you can fathom sitting in the comforts of your room. A lot of pakistanis who are not familiar with any kind of research let alone aerospace research keep making brazen remarks without knowing the true contribution of various labs and colleges like my own that went into Tejas- this kind of "industry-academic" interaction doesnt even exist in pakistan!

(b) Wing loading.
Wing loading is an important parameter in aerial dogfighting but it ALONE doesnt quantify the sustained turn rates.If you ever had a chance to analyze the EM graph,you would quickly point out that the maximum instantaneous turn rate occurs at the max possible "G" or load factor and at a velocity that is also known as corner velocity.
View attachment 336094
Picture Courtesy: SimHQ
In the graph above the solid line that envelops everything else corresponds to ITR(instantaneous turn rate). For this particular aircraft the max ITR occurs when a 6g turn is pulled at somewhere around 260mph. But we need to ask this question can we sustain this turn or for that matter any turn?By sustaining a turn I mean,can be make a turn "without bleeding any energy" and hence "altitude"?To answer this question we need to go a bit deeper.
Lets imagine we calculated that top corner velocity using very simple calculations and got some results ,lets call it x dps. To pull x-dps,we can also calculate the corner speed ,lets call it V1.To ascertain whether we can sustain this rate,all we need to do is find the drag coefficient which is famously given by drag polar and using it find the drag!Lets call the drag we obtained in previous step as D1. If our Tmax<D1- then we can NEVER sustain that turn rate no matter what!
The aircraft will loose energy and hence height as indicated by dotted lines below that top bold line.The rate at which aircraft will loose altitude is determined by "how far you're away from STR line".The STR line is the solid line in the middle of the graph which has 0 written over it and itz corner shows the max STR possible.That 0 also indicates that if you're on that line,you wont be loosing any energy hence altitude.

You see,a sustained turn rate is perhaps a more useful parameter from dogfight perspective vis-a-vis ITR that merely works as a sign post-where you want to eventually go to. Theoretically speaking ,sustained turn rate is a kind of turning maneuver where thrust is strictly equal to drag. Lets call this condition (1).It is because of this condition that wing loading is inversely proportional to the turn rate. Condition (1) is also sometimes known as "un-constrained" case.
But condition (1) can at times gives mis-leading information as we have not included two major constraints in a flight-
(a) Clmax-max Cl possible
(b) Nmax- or max load factor- structural or aerodynamic limit.
So,ideally speaking our job is to maximize the turn rate equation,subjected to following equalities or inequalities-
(1)T=D
(2)Cl=Clmax
or
(3)n=nmax
We have to choose between (2) and (3),and as my calculations show (2) normally yields higher sustained dps than (3).

PS-if you want to see all the calculations,I can post screenshots of my rough.
PSS- skardu is almost 1000m lower than Leh airbase.
@Oscar
Hi Amardeep.
Thank you for your reply.
Regarding Tejas my own opinion was that IF you go for the US hardware and if US hardware comes the way of IAF with possible production of 16s and 18s you would be foolish not to dump the Tejas. You will get a much more robust and time tested platform which will serve you better with capabilities far exceeding Tejas and at a compatible price as it will be produced in India. This is the ONLY hypothetical scenario in which I think IAF will favour 16s+18 combo over Tejas and Rafale. I think 8-10 billion$ will carry you a lot further than just buying 36 Rafales even if you reduced the price to 6 billion. However this is my assessment and feel free to disagree with it. Technology wise as well I dont think you will miss much out.
I think a lot has been made out of the wing load and instantaneous turn rates. To what extent is all of this relevant with WVR and BVRs capable of 30 +Gs. I have already elaborated on load outs but think even for the MKI the IAF will not load it beyond 4 BVRs + 2to4 WVRs on a typical A2A sortie. You will have bombtrucks guarded by planes loaded for A2A sorties in an aggressive role. So I think the whole debate is behind its time and the relevant things will be countermeasures and stealth and tactics. For whatever it is worth the older days of dog fights are gone. This again remains my opinion .
Regards
A

Hi Amardeep.
Thank you for your reply.
Regarding Tejas my own opinion was that IF you go for the US hardware and if US hardware comes the way of IAF with possible production of 16s and 18s you would be foolish not to dump the Tejas. You will get a much more robust and time tested platform which will serve you better with capabilities far exceeding Tejas and at a compatible price as it will be produced in India. This is the ONLY hypothetical scenario in which I think IAF will favour 16s+18 combo over Tejas and Rafale. I think 8-10 billion$ will carry you a lot further than just buying 36 Rafales even if you reduced the price to 6 billion. However this is my assessment and feel free to disagree with it. Technology wise as well I dont think you will miss much out.
I think a lot has been made out of the wing load and instantaneous turn rates. To what extent is all of this relevant with WVR and BVRs capable of 30 +Gs. I have already elaborated on load outs but think even for the MKI the IAF will not load it beyond 4 BVRs + 2to4 WVRs on a typical A2A sortie. You will have bombtrucks guarded by planes loaded for A2A sorties in an aggressive role. So I think the whole debate is behind its time and the relevant things will be countermeasures and stealth and tactics. For whatever it is worth the older days of dog fights are gone. This again remains my opinion .
Regards
A

Hi dear @araz
Rafale deal is almost done-not just in terms of words and statements but in actualities as well.PMO has given final approval for the same.The major issues were those related to pricing and to some extent offsets-those now have been resolved to the best in interest of two.For instance price now has been lowered to close to 8bn EUROs as against 12bn EUROS demanded by french in the beginning.Not only that,indian rafale will have 17 india specific modifications-and we cant rule out their role in strategic forces command-that is my speculations.
Coming to the question of F16/18,i dont think it makes sense to induct vastly different platforms thus creating logistical nightmares. Had rafale deal died down or failed to materalize,we could have gone through that route,but rafale deal back on track and almost on the verge of getting signed- as the MOST RECENT statements indicate,we have no reason to believe india will go to american fighters.however To fill numbers IAF would need a potent enough fighter and LCA fits that bill perfectly. LCA mk1A which will be and definitely can be realized much earlier and easier than MK2 will be what mig-21 was to IAF 2 decades back. Kindly bear it in mind that most of the work related to LCA MK1A has already been completed or in advanced stages of completetion with the exception of integrating an AESA etc
We must also bear it in mind that unlike PAF,IAF was in no hurry to induct LCA-my point being-when JF17 was inducted into the forces it couldnt fire BVR,didnt have a2a refueling,HMDS among a host of other things-but these criterias are part of FOC without which IAF wont issue the FOC to LCA.
Indeed older days of dogfighting are slowly fading away with modern BVR and WVR missiles- and as technology matures we will see more of BVR action.
In BVR combat though,it is the missile+platform that matters and not "either" of the two - one of the most important parameters in BVR combat is known as A-pole -This is the distance between launching AC and tgt AC when the active seeker of the missile goes active. To have an effective solution we must fire our missile at max possible altitude with max possible velocity of launching platform.And as soon as missile has been fired,launching AC,generally decelerates in order to remain outside of the firing envelope of the enemy aircraft- This is an area where Su-30MKI enjoys complete superiority over most of the PAF fleet with an exception of AIM120/F-16 combo.
As a closing remark,I want to highlight that india and russia have agreed to open various spares/utility facilities in india that will cater to the consumables and spares for the indian fleet of SU-30MKI. This will greatly reduce indian dependence on russia that at times gets unreliable thanks to the prevailing economic conditions of russia.

Last edited:
Hi dear @araz
Rafale deal is almost done-not just in terms of words and statements but in actualities as well.PMO has given final approval for the same.The major issues were those related to pricing and to some extent offsets-those now have been resolved to the best in interest of two.For instance price now has been lowered to close to 8bn EUROs as against 12bn EUROS demanded by french in the beginning.Not only that,indian rafale will have 17 india specific modifications-and we cant rule out their role in strategic forces command-that is my speculations.
Coming to the question of F16/18,i dont think it makes sense to induct vastly different platforms thus creating logistical nightmares. Had rafale deal died down or failed to materalize,we could have gone through that route,but rafale deal back on track and almost on the verge of getting signed- as the MOST RECENT statements indicate,we have no reason to believe india will go to american fighters.however To fill numbers IAF would need a potent enough fighter and LCA fits that bill perfectly. LCA mk1A which will be and definitely can be realized much earlier and easier than MK2 will be what mig-21 was to IAF 2 decades back. Kindly bear it in mind that most of the work related to LCA MK1A has already been completed or in advanced stages of completetion with the exception of integrating an AESA etc
We must also bear it in mind that unlike PAF,IAF was in no hurry to induct LCA-my point being-when JF17 was inducted into the forces it couldnt fire BVR,didnt have a2a refueling,HMDS among a host of other things-but these criterias are part of FOC without which IAF wont issue the FOC to LCA.
Indeed older days of dogfighting are slowly fading away with modern BVR and WVR missiles- and as technology matures we will see more of BVR action.
In BVR combat though,it is the missile+platform that matters and not "either" of the two - one of the most important parameters in BVR combat is known as A-pole -This is the distance between launching AC and tgt AC when the active seeker of the missile goes active. To have an effective solution we must fire our missile at max possible altitude with max possible velocity of launching platform.And as soon as missile has been fired,launching AC,generally decelerates in order to remain outside of the firing envelope of the enemy aircraft- This is an area where Su-30MKI enjoys complete superiority over most of the PAF fleet with an exception of AIM120/F-16 combo.
As a closing remark,I want to highlight that india and russia have agreed to open various spares/utility facilities in india that will cater to the consumables and spares for the indian fleet of SU-30MKI. This will greatly reduce indian dependence on russia that at times gets unreliable thanks to the prevailing economic conditions of russia.
The F16/18 wont be so different if you atrer making them in house. Transfer of machinery and setup wont take more than 3 -4 yrs with production in another 2 yrs.You will then be producing them at 12-16 per year, so not a bad deal. I osmehow feel there is more than is being let on regarding the rafale deal. I still think and i would understand it fully that India might yet walk out of the rafale deal. I think it would be a reasonable thing to do provided you have a planB. 8 billion for 36 planes is too much to pay and capability and technologically they do not give you anything. As I said this is my opinion based on my understanding of how the world revolves. I will read the rest of your post later and respond.
Regards
A
PS: lets take this discussion elsewhere as we are derailing the thread.

Your answer in one sentence, "they will fight just the way they fought in 99 Kargil War".

And we do not require fighter jets for a high altitude wars, we have man-pads that are essential and capable enough to be used in Kashmir fronts had their be any war against India. Just like we shot down one mig-21, mig-27 and MI-17 during kargil war with the help of Anza Mark II man-pad.

I still think and i would understand it fully that India might yet walk out of the rafale deal. I think it would be a reasonable thing to do provided you have a planB. 8 billion for 36 planes is too much to pay and capability and technologically they do not give you anything. As I said this is my opinion based on my understanding of how the world revolves. I will read the rest of your post later and respond.

hi @araz
In terms of capability,rafale provides quatum jump in certain areas. As for the deal though,the "formal signing" of the deal is scheduled for tomorrow i.e 23rd sept 2016.
We can discuss some of the technical aspects of rafale in greater detail if you wish,but as you've pointed out-it will derail the tread. As an aerospace/control engineer,I feel rafal+meteor package is much more potent than SU-30MKI+R77 or R-27 package. If you want to discuss this topic from purely academic or technical perspective,then we can surely go ahead.

14470570_10154205542112663_8300545564282354794_n.jpg

14492371_10154205542407663_4026052454543817737_n.jpg

14470522_10154205542462663_414068094280607258_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom