What's new

Karachi - One of the Least Livable Cities In The World

Not surprised, dangerous and dirty and run by incompetent idiots.

Port cities are meant to be rich, some are by default without much effort.

You have to be extra corrupt and useless to f**k up a city Karachi.

Its true, regrettably, Karachi has long stopped being the city I once knew. Its a dump now.

Likely because of of MQM (which is mafia masquerading as a political party) and PPP which is systematically impedes Karachi's development so they can maintain their feudal hegemony over Sindh and the muhajir influence does not reach the Interior.

On a side note, its not as if muhajirs, if allowed, would swoop into rural Sindh and usurp all their land.

Im not muhajir or sindhi, just a karachite, I have no bone in this fight

End of the day, we, the citizens, are most to blame. We allowed these people to take power over us

"For each one are successive [angels] before and behind him who protect him by the decree of Allah . Indeed, Allah will not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves. And when Allah intends for a people ill, there is no repelling it. And there is not for them besides Him any patron." Sura ar-Ra`d 13:11

Last edited:
I think the problem of Sindh and Karachi is one of structure. I wouldn't guess if the structure was made to do what it's doing, or it's doing because of the way it is structured. That is a chicken or egg first issue.

Here's what I mean by this:
Sindh is really two things economically:
A. Karachi/Hyderabad
B. Rural Sindh.
This rural/urban divide isn't this stark anywhere else in Pakistan which makes this situation unique. A has massive resources which can be tapped into and numerous opportunities for extraction of wealth (legally and illegally). It doesn't have enough representation in the Sindh Assembly to decide its own fate. B in stark contrast is extremely poor with little or no development and cut off from the mainstream. It provides little opportunities for wealth extraction but it has enough representation in the Sindh Assembly to decide the entire province's fate.

This situation can be thought of a force of nature which shapes the politics of the province:
PPP uses B to gain power over the province and use A for wealth extraction (mostly illegal). Of course this also keeps the select few people from B also well-fed allowing PPP to maintain their electoral grip on B. When the PPP has such an "easy" source for wealth generation, they have no economic incentive to put back anything in either A or B. A is simply too big to fail and can be milked endlessly.
In this situation augmented by the PPP as explained above comes the MQM which most likely starts off to oppose the status quo of PPP's wealth extraction of A. This is THE reason for the population of Karachi voting for MQM so consistently. In comes reality crashing down. The situation hasn't really changed. The only times MQM is able to deliver with their seats (which are not enough to control the province) is by uneasy alliances with the center or province. Needless to say this model of development isn't sustainable. MQM soon figures out it is more profitable to extract wealth by using its grasp over A. Enter the bhattas and the law & order situation of Karachi.
For a long time the PPP and MQM existed in this sick symbiotic relationship sucking on the entire province, putting nothing back in. Then Altaf Hussain's antics have knocked MQM down (temporarily at least). This has given PPP even more freedom to pursue its wealth extraction model which it continues to do so to this day.

The Future:
It is a no brainer that Karachi needs a solid representation in the Sindh Assembly which previously was provided by MQM (however way). It is to be seen how the MQM-P, MQM-L, and PSP khichrhi pans out. Unfortunately, it is my belief that as long as the current structure remains, a simple change of faces won't fix anything. Making A a separate province seems to be the only solution to me. It will take away PPPs ability to retain power over B without developing B. This means B gets the development it has deserved and needed since 1947. Also this will take away the siege mentality of the mohajir that exists in Karachi which forces the people to vote for people like Altaf Hussain. The government of A will be held accountable for development and not just for trying to fight off (fruitlessly) the control of the PPP.

...but then I'm just some guy.

I think the problem of Sindh and Karachi is one of structure. I wouldn't guess if the structure was made to do what it's doing, or it's doing because of the way it is structured. That is a chicken or egg first issue.

Here's what I mean by this:
Sindh is really two things economically:
A. Karachi/Hyderabad
B. Rural Sindh.
This rural/urban divide isn't this stark anywhere else in Pakistan which makes this situation unique. A has massive resources which can be tapped into and numerous opportunities for extraction of wealth (legally and illegally). It doesn't have enough representation in the Sindh Assembly to decide its own fate. B in stark contrast is extremely poor with little or no development and cut off from the mainstream. It provides little opportunities for wealth extraction but it has enough representation in the Sindh Assembly to decide the entire province's fate.

This situation can be thought of a force of nature which shapes the politics of the province:
PPP uses B to gain power over the province and use A for wealth extraction (mostly illegal). Of course this also keeps the select few people from B also well-fed allowing PPP to maintain their electoral grip on B. When the PPP has such an "easy" source for wealth generation, they have no economic incentive to put back anything in either A or B. A is simply too big to fail and can be milked endlessly.
In this situation augmented by the PPP as explained above comes the MQM which most likely starts off to oppose the status quo of PPP's wealth extraction of A. This is THE reason for the population of Karachi voting for MQM so consistently. In comes reality crashing down. The situation hasn't really changed. The only times MQM is able to deliver with their seats (which are not enough to control the province) is by uneasy alliances with the center or province. Needless to say this model of development isn't sustainable. MQM soon figures out it is more profitable to extract wealth by using its grasp over A. Enter the bhattas and the law & order situation of Karachi.
For a long time the PPP and MQM existed in this sick symbiotic relationship sucking on the entire province, putting nothing back in. Then Altaf Hussain's antics have knocked MQM down (temporarily at least). This has given PPP even more freedom to pursue its wealth extraction model which it continues to do so to this day.

The Future:
It is a no brainer that Karachi needs a solid representation in the Sindh Assembly which previously was provided by MQM (however way). It is to be seen how the MQM-P, MQM-L, and PSP khichrhi pans out. Unfortunately, it is my belief that as long as the current structure remains, a simple change of faces won't fix anything. Making A a separate province seems to be the only solution to me. It will take away PPPs ability to retain power over B without developing B. This means B gets the development it has deserved and needed since 1947. Also this will take away the siege mentality of the mohajir that exists in Karachi which forces the people to vote for people like Altaf Hussain. The government of A will be held accountable for development and not just for trying to fight off (fruitlessly) the control of the PPP.

...but then I'm just some guy.

Great Analysis.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Karachi should be made a something similiar to union terrirotry like chandigarh in India. It would give Karachites more control over karachi, and stop some Sindhi feudals from trying to dominate using the provincial assembly. It should also stop the MQM from entering into symbiotic relationships with PPP. The MQM wont be able to play the 'oppressed muhajir community' card anymore too, so it and other sectarian organizations will be weakened

Also, for example, if you rent a place where you dont have to pay electricity or water, subconsciously, you won't care as much about conserving as if it was your own house. You wouldn't worry as much about damaging the place (subconsciously).

Same goes for PPP, they dont consider karachi their home, but a place for rent. So they profit from it and treat it like trash. MQM saw this and copied them

Anyone have any insights?

Last edited:
Great Analysis.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Karachi should be made a something similiar to union terrirotry like chandigarh in India. It would give Karachites more control over karachi, and stop some Sindhi feudals from trying to dominate using the provincial assembly. It should also stop the MQM from entering into symbiotic relationships with PPP. The MQM wont be able to play the 'oppressed muhajir community' card anymore too, so it and other sectarian organizations will be weakened

Also, for example, if you rent a place where you dont have to pay electricity or water, subconsciously, you won't care as much about conserving as if it was your own house. You wouldn't worry as much about damaging the place (subconsciously).

Same goes for PPP, they dont consider karachi their home, but a place for rent. So they profit from it and treat it like trash. MQM saw this and copied them

Anyone have any insights?
Even though I think the best solution is to change the status of Karachi/Hyderabad but I am very certain it won't happen in my life time at least. Who will do this? PPP will fight to its death to oppose it. And who will make PPP do it? PML-N? PTI? None of them are strong enough.

I do feel pity for the stupidity of PTI when they let Karachi go. They had started to make inroads. They could've done a lot just by mixing things up. But apparently they had more important things to do. The incident of the PTI candidate joining MQM at the last moment in the by-election was a hilarious display of PTI's commitment to Karachi. All the goodwill they had built in Karachi before the general elections was washed away. Contrary to what people seem to think on this forum a lot, the voter isn't an irrational agent. Voters can be understood quite easily.

I also wonder why PML-N makes no efforts to make inroads into Karachi or Sindh. Karachi is without representation and ripe for the taking. But I suppose PTI and PML-N keep each other occupied.

Back
Top Bottom