What's new

Karachi - One of the Least Livable Cities In The World

It mostly depicts the immigrant slums; which isnt really a part of Karachi - it's on the outskirts but it belongs to the Karachi district.
As a long term resident of Karachi, I would have you know that these "immigrant slums" have pretty much encapsulated most of the city. Obviously the rich have sort of segregated themselves from the rest of the city and developed uber posh areas like DHA and Clifton (and the upcoming Bahria and DHA city).

There is a saying in Karachi which refers to "bridge ke iss paar ya bridge ke oss paar". The bridge in contention is the "Kala pul" or Black bridge which connects Clifton with Saddar and other older areas of the city.

The rich have developed their housing and business interests within DHA and Clifton and hence never really have to travel "bridge ke oss paar". That is why you see all these sky scrapers coming up on the Clifton shoreline.

Karachi is in essence two cities within a city. One for the rich and one for the rest.

Obviously whoever has ruled Karachi has only focused on filling their pockets and not give a damn about the millions who do not have access to proper housing, functioning roads or a transport network and crumbling schools, colleges and universities.

As a long term resident of Karachi, I would have you know that these "immigrant slums" have pretty much encapsulated most of the city. Obviously the rich have sort of segregated themselves from the rest of the city and developed uber posh areas like DHA and Clifton (and the upcoming Bahria and DHA city).

There is a saying in Karachi which refers to "bridge ke iss paar ya bridge ke oss paar". The bridge in contention is the "Kala pul" or Black bridge which connects Clifton with Saddar and other older areas of the city.

The rich have developed their housing and business interests within DHA and Clifton and hence never really have to travel "bridge ke oss paar". That is why you see all these sky scrapers coming up on the Clifton shoreline.

Karachi is in essence two cities within a city. One for the rich and one for the rest.

Obviously whoever has ruled Karachi has only focused on filling their pockets and not give a damn about the millions who do not have access to proper housing, functioning roads or a transport network and crumbling schools, colleges and universities.
Indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if Bahria Town ends up taking in a lot of Karachi's professional/upper middle class and Gulf expatriate (i.e. upper-income) diaspora in the long-term. Basically the suburban effect. Another issue though would be if DHA itself becomes a commercial sector; if a lot of the middle class shifts to that area, then companies may end up preferring to headquarter in those DHA skyscrapers instead of Karachi core.

I visited Karachi quite a few times but I stayed in Karachi only twice for more than three months, in DHA Phase 5 near Badar commercial close to the KFC. I never had a security issue even when walking all the way from Area 51 after bowling late night with boys to my residence or to the Clifton beach, BBQ tonite, Park towers, Forum, or fetch an ice cream from Movenpick ice-cream parlor and then strolling till Abdullah Shah Ghazi's mazar..

The only problem I faced was in Oct 2007, it was extremely hot and humid and then it rained torrentially and water accumulated everywhere and all the streets got inundated as the the sewerage system was not designed to cater for that amount of rain so cars looked like boats and people had to use L-shaped pipes to raise the exhaust above water level. I don't know how the situation is now.
But I can say that Karachi has grown too big to be beautiful

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom