What's new

‘Kalabagh Dam vital for resolving energy crisis’ Imran Khan

Okay I might sound dumb but..

Can anyone explain it to me what's the issue with Kalabagh dam?? Why are some people against it and not letting it build ?

Its a goddamn Dam after and will provide electricity and water storage for Pakistan, to me building it is a no brainer .
it will damage the river belt of darya-e-kabul in charsada, nowshera, mardan etc. which will cause shifting of peoples. and hence will reduce ANP's vote bank.
The 2nd reason is "ghair mulki haath"
3rd reason is Sindh's mythology that the construction of this dam will reduce the the suply of water to sindh. Infact, it will increase the water supply to sindh.

Sindh thinks that Punjab will steal it's water especially in winter which is vital for Sindh irrigation. KPK says that if dam fills up, it will drown parts of Nowshera district. Both points r only political point scoring and thus false. Yet Sindh issue can be solved by granting dam control to Sindh which is agreeable by Punjab. And KPK can be solved by giving effecties alternate land by govt.

including my home, but i am OK with that.
You see, the maximum Opposition of kalabag dam is in Sindh. Kpk is not a big issue, it can be solved in 2,3 meetings. But, if Federal govt came forward and work "with" provincial govt.

kalabagh dam should be build immediately and no politics should be played on energy crisis we are energy starving country and we can not tolerate this. btw i my self is from nowshera and ready to sacrifice my lands for betterment of Pakistan future. Long live Pakistan

it will damage the river belt of darya-e-kabul in charsada, nowshera, mardan etc. which will cause shifting of peoples. and hence will reduce ANP's vote bank.
The 2nd reason is "ghair mulki haath"
3rd reason is Sindh's mythology that the construction of this dam will reduce the the suply of water to sindh. Infact, it will increase the water supply to sindh.

including my home, but i am OK with that.
You see, the maximum Opposition of kalabag dam is in Sindh. Kpk is not a big issue, it can be solved in 2,3 meetings. But, if Federal govt came forward and work "with" provincial govt.
Ohh please kalabagh has nothing to do with Mardan charsada, even nwoshera, may be some small very areas in swabi and jangeera. Main hit area is already allocated to Indus river and almost all is in Punjab. It will be miracle if even 1 foot water level rose for nwoshera, distance of kalabagh from nowshera is around 120 km, even a dam like terbella couldn't impact after 45 km. But this lie has gone for too long, and now it's time to give up this lie for better truth.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Aise bande ko Punjabi main crack kehte hain... Aye banda crack aye

We don't need half-mad people to rule the nation as there are so many major decisions which you have to take and Imran is too stubborn to ever compromise on his self-idolised vision. The last I heard he is still talking about negotiating with TTP as claimed in another thread posted on PDF, that is when Pakistan has moved beyond TTP and is now TTP is almost extinct.

There was a time when only PML-N used to support Kalabagh dam and the resolution against them dam were passed in all 3 remaining provinces. We witnessed so much tension due to this back in 1990s so I believe PML-N is trying to be at safe position by not pursuing Kalabagh again when you already have alternatives available.

The only reason Kalabagh is not being pursued so seriously is because we have other pending projects to complete, we already have Diamer Bhasha, Dasu, Bunji, Neelum Jhelum so many other dam and hydropower projects in the pipeline which requires billions of dollars. They probably don't want to open another pandora box anytime soon.

The most ideal time for Kalabagh was 2013/14 after a decade when there was a hope of revival for this project. That is because the most stern opposer of Kalabagh had been ANP that was completely wiped out of K-P government and PTI had openly supported this project too. Pehle only Punjab-centric parties were the supporter of Kalabagh but now we had Abdul Malik in Balcohistan who would have nullified older resolution and passed in Balochistan (and they got nothing to do with this project), PTI in KPK and PML-N in Punjab. The only opposer would have been Sindh and half the leadership of PPP is also convinced about making of Kalabagh dam

Most accurate historical description on Kalabagh damn in this post, thumb up.

I remember PMLN being pro-dam, had the resolution submitted in favor of dam, the energy crisis would have been negated in huge portion by now. I have never understood why the certain resolution passed against dam.

People who are insinuating PMLN as pro-India for never allowing dam to surface should reread the latest policy between Nawaz Sharif and Army regarding sharing agreement which that agreement was forced on PMLN in under pressure during Azadi march. Now Army makes real call on Pakistan rendering the federal government as puppet.

Lets say KPK pass resolution, but Sindh will be main problem. Only upper indus area get effected by floods, not so much Sindh.

HYDERABAD: Floods in parts of Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have renewed the demands of some Punjab politicians for the construction of Kalabagh Dam, however the Sindh government says it will never agree to this proposal.

Sindh information and irrigation minister Nisar Khuhro said that the people have rejected this dam and other controversial projects, such as Chashma-Jhelum link canal. He added that instead of fomenting a divide among the provinces over Kalabagh Dam, work on Bhasha Dam should be started. Khuhro asserted that the Bhasha project will serve both as a water reservoir and for hydro power production.

Yet again: ‘Building Kalabagh Dam won’t be allowed’ - The Express Tribune

If he can pass the resolution in KPK Assembly, no body can do anything. Even if ANP try no body is gonna take Government heads on. Due to terrorism and electricity KPK people will avoid conflict with Government on this issue. This will make PTI even stronger in KPK and weakening ANP.

Basically, these politicians has few acre of lands closed to river which they think gonna drawn, but in reality the major reservoir will be created on miles of free land closed to Indus river.

Yes, that should happen but even PTI is scared to touch Kala Bagh dam as they want to save their politics.

What so over, I think its time to atleast discuss the issue, specially in the back drop of recent Floods. It is likely to be discussed in today's session of Parliment, lets hope for the best.

Imran is not a type of person who accepts defeat easily. And that is what builds trust with him.

As for Kalabagh dam, there had been reports foreign agencies funding local political parties to block its construction.

Kalabagh issue needs a political solution. Who will being the political solution? The federal govt. To me, Nawaz govt is not sincere in dealing with national issues and this dam has become a sensitive one. It needs national leader but party head as Nawaz has demonstrated it through his behavior.

Also, Nawaz would not want to rile India as his super appeasement policy almost borders on servility to the will of India.

Please enlighten me about how you think Imran's policy vis-a-vis India will be any different?

He has reportedly said that he will put Kashmir issue on back burner and let wiser future generations sort it out while; these 2 countries need to do trade right now.

So, how is that any different from what Nawaz is doing? Or are you only criticising because it is done by incumbent government and PTI is in opposition?

Btw, before you start attacking me; I am not even Noora supporter; I just support each party on support per agenda basis.

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan said on Tuesday that by not building dams in country present and previous governments have left the people at the mercy of floods every year.

While speaking to media, he said that country can be steered out of the energy crisis if Kalabagh Dam is constructed. But all the political parties have ignored the dam to serve their own interests. He said the people are forced to face the consequences of the PPP and PML-N governments’ negligence.

Imran instructed the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government to complete the flood prevention plan and to improve the mechanism for distribution of relief supplies. He added that the KP government should prepare a plan to deal with the flood situation in Chitral and possible flood situation that could develop in other areas as well. He also directed the provincial government to impose emergency in Chitral over flood situation.

Meanwhile, the PTI chairman in a statement instructed KP Chief Minister Pervez Khattak and provincial ministers to visit the flood affected areas forthwith and extend all possible help to affectees. He further directed the provincial government to provide basic amenities to the flood affectees immediately.

He stated that the estimate of loss caused by flash flood should be worked out and all possible assistance be provided to the people entrapped in flood-hit areas. He added that the federal government should extend cooperation to the KP government in dealing with the prevailing flood situation in Chitral.

‘Kalabagh Dam vital for resolving energy crisis’

so when will this Liar / Munafiq n U turn khan bring Resolution in KPK assembly in favor of #Kalabagh DAM ... Never cuz only agenda IK has implemented up till now is "Truck di Laal Batii " ... n youthias luv the chase

Sindh thinks that Punjab will steal it's water especially in winter which is vital for Sindh irrigation. KPK says that if dam fills up, it will drown parts of Nowshera district. Both points r only political point scoring and thus false. Yet Sindh issue can be solved by granting dam control to Sindh which is agreeable by Punjab. And KPK can be solved by giving effecties alternate land by govt.
KPK stance has been cleared years back ....during last design revision the height of kalabagh dam was reduced 15-20feet ......this revision reduced the flood danger to nowshera n kamra to Nill ...........

Ohh please kalabagh has nothing to do with Mardan charsada, even nwoshera, may be some small very areas in swabi and jangeera. Main hit area is already allocated to Indus river and almost all is in Punjab. It will be miracle if even 1 foot water level rose for nwoshera, distance of kalabagh from nowshera is around 120 km, even a dam like terbella couldn't impact after 45 km. But this lie has gone for too long, and now it's time to give up this lie for better truth.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
but i will "definitely" effect nowshera built. including my village. but what i mentioned above in another post is that there is no opposition of dam from villigers of this built. but from ANP, .

It will also reduce PTI vote bank, if they kept on nagging them about Kalabagh dam........PTI got most of the seats from Peshawar valley.

So you are from Nowshera.......what are views of people of Nowshera about Kalabagh dam?, are they ready to give sacrifice for greater good of Pakistan?

Kalabagh dam wont stop flooding of your Nowshera. The dams on river Kabul in Afghanistan or perhaps bhasha dam would reduce floods in your area.
As per my memory, there is not a single really or strike on "kalabag dam issue" till now ,either it is nowshera or charsada. Normally people don't even talk about this dam because they have no concern "till now" with this dam. it's on federal govt now, to work with provincial govt on this project and educate peoples of darya-e-kabul built about this dam and it's advantages. so let,s stop PTI PMLN issue for a while and work for national interest.

This thing was murdered a very long time ago, by PPP and ANP. It's tainted and just mentioning it is enough to provoke strong responses from proponents and opponents.

People dont talk about it because its a dead issue, we also dont generally talk on daily basis about this type of "ideas" floating around, .......people will talk when construction of dam begins and they are asked to relocate.

What i meant was views of intelligentsia of Nowshera on Kalabagh issue, i didnt ask you about views of labourors, shopkeepers etc of Nowshera.....

I from a Southern District of KPK, the Dam is not harmful to my region.........If it wont harm your region, we wont have objections over construction of Dam, most of us careless less about it. ANP might be the only party doing politics on it but in the past Qazi Hussain Ahmed of Nowshera, opposed construction of Kalabagh Dam. Even i saw Pervez Khattak from your Nowshera, opposing it in his interviews.
yes. pervaiz khatak opposed this dam in 2013. but in an interview last year he offered federal govt to send expert team to him for briefing. and if they satisfy me that there will be no damage to people of nowshera and there agricultural land. then "I" will built this dam. long time though. no news of any expert team briefing PK.
and as Pervaiz khatak is our MPA (his son in law infact) so you can take his comment as "locals comment" .. as i mentioned in a post that the large opposition of this dam is not in KPK, but in Sindh.

Back
Top Bottom