What's new

K5 MISSILE TEST FIRED

http://newindianexpress.com/nation/article1441769.ece

‘K-15 SLBM is a beast with gen-next tech’

The scientists at Defence Research and Development Organisation’s (DRDO) Missile Complex in Hyderabad are an inspired lot, thanks to the successful test of the 750-km range submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM), K-15.

The missile was tested for its full range from a submerged pontoon, off the Visakhapatnam coast on January 27. Sources in the Missile Complex told Express that K-15 was launched from an underwater vehicle with an approximate depth of 50 metres. What adds more teeth to the missile is the array of Gen-next technologies that are embedded on board, a majority of features till kept under wraps.

“The medium range missile, with a capacity to be launched from multiple platforms, has so far undergone many trials. It is primarily employed against land targets. The missile is incorporated with very-high accuracy navigation systems with completely different and specific schemes, that can steer the vehicle towards the target with single-digit accuracy,” a source said.

The scientists have designed special alignment techniques with the most modern algorithms specific to underwater missions.

“It has a two-stage booster, with one being employed under water and the other above the surface. The underwater dynamics are totally different from the aerodynamic environment. Here the hydro-dynamics come into picture and you have to take into account factors like water pressure, wave speed, its direction and many more,” the official said.

Being guided by an on-board guidance computer system, the K-15 missile travels through the atmosphere all through the mission. The missile will be integrated with India’s first home-grown N-powered submarine INS Arihant, which is warming up for its maiden sea-acceptance trials.

Speaking to Express from Hyderabad, K-15 programme director A K Chakrabarty said his team had a challenging job on hand.

^^ Two meter booster or first stage,burns for 15 seconds..
That means the rest of the 6 meter stages should burn for another 45 seconds?

Total burnout time is 60 seconds...?

So after the first minute...it should follow a ballistic trajectory...unless it has something else up its sleeves.

Booster burns for 10 seconds and 2nd stage for 40 seconds .

@WebMaster , Please merge this thread with http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...ever-video-photos-k-15-slbm-test-fired-5.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Booster doesnot have fins .

2eej43b.jpg

shauryaside.jpge0d242df-79bb-485d-b7dd-7475810cd932Larger.jpg

here is one more photo and you are right booster has no fins but one has to look very closely to confirm that. There are two assemblies of fins in the first stage itself.
But what is the main use of those back fin assembly.

DSC02147.JPG

shauryaside.jpge0d242df-79bb-485d-b7dd-7475810cd932Larger.jpg

here is one more photo and you are right booster has no fins but one has to look very closely to confirm that. There are two assemblies of fins in the first stage itself.
But what is the main use of those back fin assembly.

DSC02147.JPG

Here is what I found .

The second stage air fins provide necessary in-flight trajectory control. The main motor is typically expended at 33 km altitude well within the atmosphere; however the air fins remain effective beyond post boost phase. The air fins also allow the missile to fly in a depressed trajectory as well as cruise and glide in sustained hypersonic regime at 50 km altitude.

Here is what I found .

The second stage air fins provide necessary in-flight trajectory control. The main motor is typically expended at 33 km altitude well within the atmosphere; however the air fins remain effective beyond post boost phase. The air fins also allow the missile to fly in a depressed trajectory as well as cruise and glide in sustained hypersonic regime at 50 km altitude.

so after boost phase the next stage takes the missile to 33km altitude and then rest of the distance is covered with a finless stage. May be the second stage has thrust vector to rotate the missile so that heat produced is spread evenly in the fuselage.

so after boost phase the next stage takes the missile to 33km altitude and then rest of the distance is covered with a finless stage. May be the second stage has thrust vector to rotate the missile so that heat produced is spread evenly in the fuselage.

yeah and this "rolling motion" about the longitudinal axis is there on A3/A4/A5 as well.. for the distribution of heat across the surface !!

I don't think there is a finless stage .There are only two stages . First stage is the booster.The second stage with fins controls the missile till impact. Also there is no warhead separation like prithvi.

I don't think there is a finless stage .There are only two stages . First stage is the booster.The second stage with fins controls the missile till impact. Also there is no warhead separation like prithvi.

I think you are right

in total missile has 6 rocket motors. One gets separated 15 seconds after launch, then the phase change withing the fuselage. If there is no stage separation then missile's range could be increased if they implement stage separation. The missile will carry lesser weight. But then rotation will be compromised, because there won't be any fins.

Plus I found this

http://idp.justthe80.com/missiles/strategic-missile-projects/shourya-missile

Shourya Trajectory

Shourya's first stage takes the missile to an altitude of 7km. The second stage lofts it further up to 40 kms. The missile then flips over and flies at constant altitude at seven times the speed of sound like a cruise missile.

During the endgame, the missile guides itself to the target maneuvering with the help of fins to evade missile defenses and strike within 20-30m of its target 750 km away.

The missile's flat trajectory, hypersonic speed and small cross-section make tracking and interception difficult.

Speaking to the press at DefExpo 2010, DRDO Chief VK Sarsawat said, "Like a ballistic missile, it is powered by solid fuel. And, like a cruise missile, it can guide itself right up to the target."

I think you are right

in total missile has 6 rocket motors. One gets separated 15 seconds after launch, then the phase change withing the fuselage. If there is no stage separation then missile's range could be increased if they implement stage separation. The missile will carry lesser weight. But then rotation will be compromised, because there won't be any fins.

I thought it had only two motors .First stage booster and second stage motor.

Plus I found this

Shourya Missile - IDP Sentinel

Shourya Trajectory

Shourya's first stage takes the missile to an altitude of 7km. The second stage lofts it further up to 40 kms. The missile then flips over and flies at constant altitude at seven times the speed of sound like a cruise missile.

During the endgame, the missile guides itself to the target maneuvering with the help of fins to evade missile defenses and strike within 20-30m of its target 750 km away.

The missile's flat trajectory, hypersonic speed and small cross-section make tracking and interception difficult.

Speaking to the press at DefExpo 2010, DRDO Chief VK Sarsawat said, "Like a ballistic missile, it is powered by solid fuel. And, like a cruise missile, it can guide itself right up to the target."

Fit's perfectly with the flight profile below.

Only confusion is from the NDTV interview where the scientist claims the missile goes up and down.

^^ Now thats what i was talking about :D

Finally Indian members have started to make their threads more interesting by posting technical details and good discussion..
But that makes teerolling difficult (for me)

I thought it had only two motors .First stage booster and second stage motor.

Fit's perfectly with the flight profile below.

Only confusion is from the NDTV interview where the scientist claims the missile goes up and down.

stages are two but motors are 6. 1st stage is the booster which itself is a motor. 2nd stage then contains 5 motors(call them phase or blocks of fuel)

so the missile is a ballistic missile and same time CM.

But IF it can fly a ballistic trajectory, then it needs an RV. is the tip carbon composite and heat protected?

stages are two but motors are 6. 1st stage is the booster which itself is a motor. 2nd stage then contains 5 motors(call them phase or blocks of fuel)

Can you shed more light into 6 motors ?? Any source to the 6 motors.

I thought the picture of nozzle assembly in the above picture was the motor.I don't think 6 of them can be accommodated in the B-05 2nd stage.

so the missile is a ballistic missile and same time CM.

But IF it can fly a ballistic trajectory, then it needs an RV. is the tip carbon composite and heat protected?

Yes , RV is carbon composite and heat protected.

Can you shed more light into 6 motors ?? Any source to the 6 motors.

I thought the picture of nozzle assembly in the above picture was the motor.I don't think 6 of them can be accommodated in the B-05 2nd stage.

Yes , RV is carbon composite and heat protected.

The missile has six motors; the first one is the motor in the gas generator. The centerpiece of a host of new technologies incorporated in Shourya is its ring laser gyroscope and accelerometer. The ring laser gyroscope was tested and integrated by the Research Center Imarat (RCI) based in Hyderabad.[8]

Shaurya (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

six motors mean six fuel blocks, not to be confused with stages.

Can any one explain how much warhead this missile can carry in different flight paths ????

You mean MIRV?

It can carry just one...

Too small for carrying more than one..

The trajectory is too small to dispense multiple warheads...

Back
Top Bottom