What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Voice command controls? new EW suit? new integrated cockpit? single touch screen display? etc etc....integrated inbuild IRST was a must for tackling Rafale!
All that should be in it i don't think anything changed in that regard

As for IRST, maybe we should go the Gripen route, only have IRST in half or 1/3 of the aircraft. I think every single airframe having IRST is not cost-effective for light fighter.

As for IRST, maybe we should go the Gripen route, only have IRST in half or 1/3 of the aircraft. I think every single airframe having IRST is not cost-effective for light fighter.
Rafale has 1.50 m2 RCS...........IRST is a must to detect it. Otherwise PAF ka Allah he hafiz.

i would like to first confirm if it has all these.

1654280383599.png

Do we not have IRST on the Turkish pod? There was talk of some issues with integrating IRST on JFT which were being looked into.
A

Rafale has 1.50 m2 RCS...........IRST is a must to detect it. Otherwise PAF ka Allah he hafiz.

More than likely our AESA equipped fighters will detect Rafale and be able to engage it at longer distances than a good IRST system is capable of. Also, we can't be sure what that RCS value is refernecing. Nobody actually knows to what extent Rafale's attempts to reduce signature will let it evade detection vs. our radars in combat scenarios.

Also, DAS/EOTS/AESA fusion on aircraft like the F-35 is the future, it's an incredible set of instruments that work in tandem and can cue each other. Eventually we'll need something like that, but I doubt it's a requirement for Rafale. On the subject of the JF-17, I wasn't at all surprised by the lack of it, with the JF-17 you're fighting for power, space and cost vs. capabilities, most likely IRST failed in that assessment.

Do we not have IRST on the Turkish pod? There was talk of some issues with integrating IRST on JFT which were being looked into.
A
Sir do we have any brochures regarding Turkish Pod also having IRST capabilities. Even if it has such capability then range shall also be factor.

More than likely our AESA equipped fighters will detect Rafale and be able to engage it at longer distances than a good IRST system is capable of. Also, we can't be sure what that RCS value is refernecing. Nobody actually knows to what extent Rafale's attempts to reduce signature will let it evade detection vs. our radars in combat scenarios.

Also, DAS/EOTS/AESA fusion on aircraft like the F-35 is the future, it's an incredible set of instruments that work in tandem and can cue each other. Eventually we'll need something like that, but I doubt it's a requirement for Rafale. On the subject of the JF-17, I wasn't at all surprised by the lack of it, with the JF-17 you're fighting for power, space and cost vs. capabilities, most likely IRST failed in that assessment.
JF17 block iii available specs show some additions i.e AESA radar with quoted range of 170 KM and some claim it to be up to 200 KM, PL15 and PL10 additions, may be better EW/Defensive capabilities. But so far capabilities missing are Powerful engine, Mach 2 speed, stealth features and the most visible one is IRST.

assumption.....

The little the warfare that i understand, U always assume the worst case scenario and work according to that. AESA radars is something u have put all yr eggs in it. NOT A GOOD IDEA!

AESA is in the end of the day just a radar too albeit a better then contemporary. In future even better radars will come like jet, ground, air based Quantum Radars. But RCS will still play its part.

Try to find out why J10C is actually brought........the real reason why.

Hint: December 2020 Shaheen exercises. That was the first time PLAAF had allowed unrestricted performance of J10C in these exercises. These jets almost gave a heart attack to somebody in PAF's high command according to windjammer. And made him rethink abt PAF's decision of not buying them. A decision they finally took in june 2021.

Last edited:
assumption.....

The little the warfare that i understand, U always assume the worst case scenario and work according to that. AESA radars is something u have put all yr eggs in it. NOT A GOOD IDEA!

AESA is in the end of the just a radar too albeit a better then contemporary. In future even better radars will come like jet, ground, air based Quantum Radars. But RCS will still play its part.

Try to find out why J10C is actually7 brought........the real reason why.

Hint: December 2020 Shaheen exercises. That was the first time PLAAF had allowed unrestricted performance of J10C in these exercises. These jets almost gave a heart attack to somebody in PAF's high command according to windjammer. And made him rethink abt PAF's decision of not buying them. A decision they finally took in june 2021.

Hi,,

Could you please expand on that.

Hi,

It was one of the very worst decisions of the JF17. Paf did not believe in the irst because the F16---F15---and none of the other american aircraft had that.

And as the modern american aircraft did not have the dedicated frame mounted package---JF17 did not need to have it---.

IRST did not fail any assessment---the Paf failed in understanding its importance.

Should he? And, that on a public forum....

Hi,

yeah---I would like to know.

I ---a layman---commercial truck salesman knew about the abilities of the J10C's---how come the Paf did not know.

Last edited:

As for the latest ASELSAN EIRS early warning radar, it is based on AESA built with indigenous GaN devices. It has got an official range of 460km+. Thanks to the Qatar AF Rafaels stationed in Turkey, I am pretty sure every signal patterns they would generate is meticulously scrutinized so that the countermeasures are developed. Turkey needs to detect the Greek Rafeals as early as possible....

1654490208165.png

Back
Top Bottom