What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

have you got the rest of this brochure?

OBOGS = On-Board Oxygen Generating System. It generates the oxygen and should almost last infinity.

The brochure says "oxygen regulating". This is opposed to generating. This is why it last three hours because it is stored in a bottle,

Three hour is not a given, it could be more or less, depenging on mission requirements. ROSE Mirages also have the same OBOGS.

Last edited:
Liquid oxygen cant be stored in a plane its gas oxygen cylinder with high purity also there are storage cylinder not onsite generators in PAF as well as KSA air force .

As you have read somewhere why don't you enlighten us with details that you have.

@Oscar Sir, seems like someone is playing games.

while going through current thread somewhere around 50th page i read this so just asked out of curiosity because i follow jf 17 quite closely not for any GAME but just as defence news lover, if you don't wanna tell no problems mate :wave:

while going through current thread somewhere around 15th page i read this so just asked out of curiosity because i follow jf 17 quite closely not for any GAME but just as defence news lover, if you don't wanna tell no problems mate :wave:

OBOGS is better than LOX.

When I was active duty and on my first assignment ( F-111 ), OBOGS was already controversial. The primary issue that made many pilots 'conservative' is that LOX is an established technology while OBOGS was fairly new. Not conceptually new, but operationally new. If I put on my 'engineer' hat, OBOGS is superior in every way. But if I put on my 'end user' hat, I would hesitate to try something new, especially when my life is at stake.

Liquid oxygen creation is well established technology while there were many variations on how to filter out the oxygen molecules and concentrate them enough for human consumption. The recent controversy with the F-22's OBOGS did not helped. It turned out that there was nothing wrong with the jet's OBOGS but rather how the plumbing got crossed and unwanted gas got mixed in with the oxygen. In my opinion, it was a monumental f-ck up and whoever the person or team that was responsible for the engineering of the jet's OBOGS should have been publicly shamed. Hopefully that none of them will ever get another aviation related job again.

From a strictly engineering standpoint, self contained oxygen generation is indeed superior to a can of liquid oxygen. It offers more flexibility in terms of mission duration and decreased logistics at the home base because LOX is very much an explosive compound. It is retrofitting OBOGS into an existing airframe is where problems begins.

while going through current thread somewhere around 50th page i read this so just asked out of curiosity because i follow jf 17 quite closely not for any GAME but just as defence news lover, if you don't wanna tell no problems mate :wave:

Well the information which is already shared to the extent as allowed, I was expecting that you have read it. I did not want to copy the words and thought that you have the idea hence quoted @Oscar sir for that.

Block2 are carrying a modified turbine-fan. It would be interesting to see some flight videos.

What happens if the pilot has to eject at high altitude? is there a secondary source (GOX canister) mounted somewhere on the seat?

OBOGS is better than LOX.

When I was active duty and on my first assignment ( F-111 ), OBOGS was already controversial. The primary issue that made many pilots 'conservative' is that LOX is an established technology while OBOGS was fairly new. Not conceptually new, but operationally new. If I put on my 'engineer' hat, OBOGS is superior in every way. But if I put on my 'end user' hat, I would hesitate to try something new, especially when my life is at stake.

Liquid oxygen creation is well established technology while there were many variations on how to filter out the oxygen molecules and concentrate them enough for human consumption. The recent controversy with the F-22's OBOGS did not helped. It turned out that there was nothing wrong with the jet's OBOGS but rather how the plumbing got crossed and unwanted gas got mixed in with the oxygen. In my opinion, it was a monumental f-ck up and whoever the person or team that was responsible for the engineering of the jet's OBOGS should have been publicly shamed. Hopefully that none of them will ever get another aviation related job again.

From a strictly engineering standpoint, self contained oxygen generation is indeed superior to a can of liquid oxygen. It offers more flexibility in terms of mission duration and decreased logistics at the home base because LOX is very much an explosive compound. It is retrofitting OBOGS into an existing airframe is where problems begins.

What happens if the pilot has to eject at high altitude? is there a secondary source (GOX canister) mounted somewhere on the seat?
There is...

http://www.ejectionsite.com/acesiitech.htm
The emergency oxygen system consists of an oxygen bottle attached to the seat back, an automatic activation lanyard, and a manual pull ring (the green ring visible on the left hand seat pan side in this picture). As the seat rises up the rails, the lanyard activates the oxygen bottle and allows the crewman access to oxygen as long as he is still connected to the seat. During an in-flight emergency that does not require ejection, the oxygen bottle provides breathable air for enough time to return the aircraft to 10000 feet or below where the atmosphere is thick enough for the pilot to breath.

Block2 are carrying a modified turbine-fan. It would be interesting to see some flight videos.
What is the source of your statement. As far as we know, the engine remains RD93. Please elaborate.
A

I hope that the family is informed of their loved one as soon as possible., and I am sure that every effort will made to recover the downed aviator.
PAF looks after its own. I am sure the family will be looked after in PAFs routine traditions.
A

PAF looks after its own. I am sure the family will be looked after in PAFs routine traditions.
A

Of that, I have absolutely no doubt. I can very well imagine the pain and anguish of the family at their loss, but I also know they will have the strength to carry on through this ordeal. My prayers are with them.

=======================================

Eventually, the story of this loss will be made known, whether officially or not remains to be seen.

Can you provide some details (if not confidential), when did the change happen?

Thankyou.
Low pressure compressor (cold bypass) to increase total airmass flow, increasing thrust w/o increasing fuel supply. This was ontable in 2005. I was in chengdu but not now.

Back
Top Bottom