What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
zzz.jpg

Those specs are a bit old, and prior to news of tweaking the KLJ-7, which as I last saw quoted a 130km detection range for a fighter sized target, whether that's the result of lower target resolution settings as well as upgrade we don't know.

You can't go comparing the KLJ-7 to the N-011 BARS, or the Zhuk radar on the Mig-29, those are larger aircraft.

For the power rating, the max size of the antenna that can be fitted, it is doing just fine.
It need not match it's adversary's detection range, the adversary in this case, the MKI for example is a much larger aircraft with that comes a more powerful radar but with an inherent drawback, that it's easier to see.

Oh and if you do look up the RC-400 specs, KLJ-7 range is larger by quite a margin.

We can go discussing this, but the fact of the matter is, PAF has said that they are very pleased with the KLJ-7 and aren't looking to replace it any time soon.

Which is the No:1 BVR Fighter Aircraft in South Asia ?

But according to above article while compairing with rcs, MKI and Mig-29 are clear winners with N-011 and Zhuk radars... Also LCA,Mirage,rafale etc with less rcs have better radars... Bison is almost phased out so no upgrading ya production... Is it wise using a better radar with a hike in unit cost??

In jf 17 website and in wikipedia it states that KJL-7 radar have 75 km for 3m2 target.... If it is true why KLJ7 is countinuing in new batches as this is the level of old soviet radars and all Indian fighters has better radars...
Even a half configured Su-30 (In terms of weapons load) it's RCS is above 3 meters square, which means detection and tracking range for a bigger target will be longer than 75km. And this is just a quoted figure, no one knows the exact range.

Which is the No:1 BVR Fighter Aircraft in South Asia ?

But according to above article while compairing with rcs, MKI and Mig-29 are clear winners with N-011 and Zhuk radars... Also LCA,Mirage,rafale etc with less rcs have better radars... Bison is almost phased out so no upgrading ya production... Is it wise using a better radar with a hike in unit cost??

There are some errors in that article and old figures quoted.
It's no surprise the source will be biased, but I'm telling you, for an aircraft the size of JF-17 with similar specs, and given the possibility of upgrade, and PAF trying to match it up to APG-68(v)9 and still being impressed with it.

It doesn't get much better then that for a small mechanically steered radar.
We are all quite content with the KLJ-7. 
@Lil Mathew

Take a look at this brochure:

JF-17%2BThunder%27s%2BMMR.JPG

Here, a fairly old brochure, quotes the look up detection range for 5m^2 at 105km .
Now , note this is old and these specs pre-date the talks of tweaks and improvement.
This dates back to when the JF-17 was still a young fighter and the KLJ-7 was quite young too.

Using the formula to calculate the next detection range for a more visible target, I use 5m^2 at 105km as a bench mark, then I assume the value of the MKI at any given time to be 15m^2.
And this could well be a conservative figure, Flankers are often given 15-20m^2 values, add on those canards for example and a weapons load and it could easily exceed or approach that.

So...

((15/5)^(1/4))*105=138.2 km.

so even the old KLJ-7 can detect an MKI sized target at roughly 138 km.

NOT the 112 km quoted in that link.

Last edited:
here you go guys after long search I found this.. A very small appearance of out Beautiful Bird JF17 @ 8:52... But its on Youtube I'm afraid

Wow it looks like its got the air breaks on here :pakistan::smitten:

the guy in this video is thinking that the jet @ 8:44 is a F-18 super hornet lol. But guess what, tell me which jet is it?? :bounce:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom