What's new

JF-17 Thunder Block-II : Biggest Bang for the Buck.

Yes.

increased load.jpg

has this been verified by the PAF?

Looks impressive. Can you share the source ?

• Upgraded Radar - The "KLJ-7V2" was explicitly mentioned by Air Commodore Khalid Mahmoud to the publication 'Defence Industry Bulletin' during the Paris Air Show.

• Upgraded Avionics - Again, explicitly mentioned by AC Mahmoud

• IFR - AC Mahmoud, Jane's, etc, common knowledge at this point

• Upgraded EW/ECM - Again, mentioned by AC Mahmoud, but Jane's (during the Dubai Air Show) said the JF-17 now includes a Spanish ECM. That could mean ALR-400 or even ALQ-500, not clear.

• The extra 3000lb payload was referenced by @Horus above.

• AEW&C integration - implicitly mentioned by AC Mahmoud, in reference to a "national" data-link solution to link JF-17 to "on and off-board sensors."

If this actually true than another marvelous engineering achievement

Because even MiG-29 fulcrum don't have capability to carry external payload not more than 4500kg with its twin RD-33MK engine's with 89.8 KN each

I think PAC should think to increase its pylons to 6-8 to carry maximum A-to-A missile's

• Upgraded Radar - The "KLJ-7V2" was explicitly mentioned by Air Commodore Khalid Mahmoud to the publication 'Defence Industry Bulletin' during the Paris Air Show.

• Upgraded Avionics - Again, explicitly mentioned by AC Mahmoud

• IFR - AC Mahmoud, Jane's, etc, common knowledge at this point

• Upgraded EW/ECM - Again, mentioned by AC Mahmoud, but Jane's (during the Dubai Air Show) said the JF-17 now includes a Spanish ECM. That could mean ALR-400 or even ALQ-500, not clear.

• The extra 3000lb payload was referenced by @Horus above.

• AEW&C integration - implicitly mentioned by AC Mahmoud, in reference to a "national" data-link solution to link JF-17 to "on and off-board sensors."

So Block 2 can carry 5500 external playload

Because even MiG-29 fulcrum don't have capability to carry external payload not more than 4500kg with its twin RD-33MK engine's with 89.8 KN each

I think PAC should think to increase its pylons to 6-8 to carry maximum A-to-A missile's

Thanks for you advice i m sure already there are more then few things planned ,here this is a generic question to all Indians who says that PAF is still the sleeping partner or fabricator for this plane just imagine Mig-29 who is considered to be big dady for thunder and chinese with J10 ,level of evolvement in thunder is way a head then its partner/competitor countries this is raw talent exhibited by PAF and once n for all ends the debate how big we are a partner in this program.

Thanks for you advice i m sure already there are more then few things planned ,here this is a generic question to all Indians who says that PAF is still the sleeping partner or fabricator for this plane just imagine Mig-29 who is considered to be big dady for thunder and chinese with J10 ,level of evolvement in thunder is way a head then its partner/competitor countries this is raw talent exhibited by PAF and once n for all ends the debate how big we are a partner in this program.

very nice indeed buti i have my own doubts about 5500 kg weapon load specialy when jf 17 doesn have that much of wing area nor that powerful engine so i wud rather wait for any official declaration but yes block 2 is very promising indeed ;)

So Block 2 can carry 5500 external playload
3 JF-17's for the price of 1 F-16.

Hi-Lo mix. We are using the air tractor for a reason
I imagine UAE is using the Air Tractor for its COIN needs? Would a fast jet like JF-17 even meet that requirement, the value in the Air Tractor (and other prop platforms) is the low operational cost.

We are using the air tractor for a reason
Like which one?

I imagine UAE is using the Air Tractor for its COIN needs? Would a fast jet like JF-17 even meet that requirement, the value in the Air Tractor (and other prop platforms) is the low operational cost.
In the presence of strike aircrafts, assault gunships and armed drones......there is no need for air tractor type stuff...... it suits Afghanistan......

very nice indeed buti i have my own doubts about 5500 kg weapon load specialy when jf 17 doesn have that much of wing area nor that powerful engine so i wud rather wait for any official declaration but yes block 2 is very promising indeed ;)
Actually it wont be the improved max take off weight or thrust solely responsible for the added available external weight, the empty weight will be going down as Block-2/3 is getting more composites. The recent picture of Block-2 serial# 229 (29th Block-2) in China with the in flight refuel probe has more composites used on upper structure and fin.

Like which one?

In the presence of strike aircrafts, assault gunships and armed drones......there is no need for air tractor type stuff...... it suits Afghanistan......

For COIN
Air Tractor 1
UAE air tractor1.jpg

Air Tractor 2 / Archangel
UAE air tractor2 Arch angel.jpg
http://aviationweek.com/dubai-air-show-2015/uae-taking-delivery-archangel-coin-aircraft

There are some roles an Air Tractor cannot fulfill, and an F-16 would be too costly. The JF-17 is the sweet spot. It could actually be a very good LIFT aircraft as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom