What's new

JF-17 "Extremely close" to the MIG-29: Mikhail Pogosyan

Do u know what is thrust vector........NO....
If u can see the image of jf-17 ...it don't have the engine which support thrust vector technology......whereas Mig-29's have thrust vector technology and it consist of two engines ...
S please don't make others fool.....PAF is just getting a single engined Chinese toy ...it don't have that range which Mig29 have
AND MIG29 can carry more missiles which this JF thunder can....:taz:

Actually no. Only the Mig-35 variant of the Fulcrum family could support TVC. All other Mig-29s are trash according to your definition.

well buddy tell me the name of a single aircraft that is single engine and have tvc

In practice (F-16 Vista was never in service), the thrust vectoring on single engined aircrafts have been used for VTOL. The VTOL version of the F-35 and the Harrier Jump Jet (which use extra nozzles) are good examples of this.

well this is a dangerous thread. Anyone questions capability are called troll and banned.

This against the spirit of discussion. I have to agree that JF 17 more equal than mig 29.

IMO.

well this is a dangerous thread. Anyone questions capability are called troll and banned.

This against the spirit of discussion. I have to agree that JF 17 more equal than mig 29.

IMO.

I think the mods are perfectly fine with people questioning the capability of the JF-17. I stated that the basic JF-17 model may not be a match for the more mature MIG-29 and the mods are okay with me.

A commentor becomes a troll when he persistently argue with more knowledgeable members on the board despite evidence to the contrary. They also try to derail the board by bringing national/political sentiments into the thread. This is why some people got banned.

:lol: :lol: Shows your knowledge on the topic........
:tup:
:tup:

Dont think i am doing Thumbs up for you......Its just this site dont have any emoticon with middle finger so i am using the :tup: for that purpose....
:rofl:

Sometimes I also feel its badly needed here !!!:lol:
But I would prefer using this _|_

Here is two F-16 VISTA and Rockwell-MBB X-31

Can't you giv a more conventional answer like F35
Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II is currently in the pre-production test and development stage. Although this aircraft utilizes a conventional afterburning turbofan (F135 or F136) to facilitate supersonic operation, the F-35B variant, developed for joint usage by the US Marine Corps, UK Royal Air Force and Royal Navy, also incorporates a vertically mounted, low-pressure shaft-driven remote fan, which is driven through a clutch during landing from the engine. Both the exhaust from this fan and the main engine's fan are deflected by thrust vectoring nozzles, to provide the appropriate combination of lift and propulsive thrust.
WIKI

Sure if you dont have problem with me referencing wiki

Do u know what is thrust vector........NO....
If u can see the image of jf-17 ...it don't have the engine which support thrust vector technology......whereas Mig-29's have thrust vector technology and it consist of two engines ...
S please don't make others fool.....PAF is just getting a single engined Chinese toy ...it don't have that range which Mig29 have
AND MIG29 can carry more missiles which this JF thunder can....:taz:

Yes well tell this to the person who originally made the statement the JF-17 is close to the MIG-29. No one here is claiming that the JF-17 is flat out better than the MIG-29 but only debating the fact that the Thunder is close to the MIG-29 in terms of capability and can be acquired for a cheaper price.

I think my fellow Indian members are not cleared regarding the topic of discussion of this thread. The topic of the thread " JFT is 'Extremely close' to MIG-29: Mikhail Pogosyan'' talks about the concerns and speculation of the Russian media regarding the sales prospect of JF-17 in the international market and competing with Mig-29 for the market share of less expensive 4th generation fighters. and the reporters conclude that indeed JF-17 is close to Mig-29 in terms of capabilities required by 4th generation fighters at less than half the cost of Mig-29.
Now no where the article and the video talks about who is better than whom in 1 on 1 fight or even based based on specifications of the individual aircraft or how they would fair each against at the war. That is simply not the point of discussion and my Indian friends are unnecessary wasting their energy trying to prove mig-29 is better than JF-17 on sepcs and performance parameters simply because they interpret the title of the thread in that way.
We need to acknowledge the fact that JF-17 is a good aircraft which currently occupies low cost spectrum for 4th generation fighters which till now was only occupied by mig-29, but now it (mig-29) has a competition.

I think my fellow Indian members are not cleared regarding the topic of discussion of this thread. The topic of the thread " JFT is 'Extremely close' to MIG-29: Mikhail Pogosyan'' talks about the concerns and speculation of the Russian media regarding the sales prospect of JF-17 in the international market and competing with Mig-29 for the market share of less expensive 4th generation fighters. and the reporters conclude that indeed JF-17 is close to Mig-29 in terms of capabilities required by 4th generation fighters at less than half the cost of Mig-29.
Now no where the article and the video talks about who is better than whom in 1 on 1 fight or even based based on specifications of the individual aircraft or how they would fair each against at the war. That is simply not the point of discussion and my Indian friends are unnecessary wasting their energy trying to prove mig-29 is better than JF-17 on sepcs and performance parameters simply because they interpret the title of the thread in that way.
We need to acknowledge the fact that JF-17 is a good aircraft which currently occupies low cost spectrum for 4th generation fighters which till now was only occupied by mig-29, but now it (mig-29) has a competition.

Where were you before ???

You came very late.

Hope this advice would have come very early, as no one was listening to us.

The thread is about the Russian claiming that the JFT is in the same league as the MiG29, but our Indian friends want to now divert the thread into a JFT and L15 thread -- Why Indian? Why can't you just getting it in your head that no Pakistani is saying that JFT and MiG29are inthe same league, instead, it is Russian saying this - if this rubs you the wrong way, take it up with the Russian, why come here and try to derail the thread?

The thread is about the Russian claiming that the JFT is in the same league as the MiG29, but our Indian friends want to now divert the thread into a JFT and L15 thread -- Why Indian? Why can't you just getting it in your head that no Pakistani is saying that JFT and MiG29are inthe same league, instead, it is Russian saying this - if this rubs you the wrong way, take it up with the Russian, why come here and try to derail the thread?

Isnt this thread and forum for discussing such defence related items? Else the news anyway can be read on any of the news sites.

And about Pakistani saying this, you can go thru last few pages to see how many Pakistanis are trying to say exactly the same thing.

And nothing wrong with it. Given the price, the JF 17 may well have the potential to challenge the Mig 29 commercially and nibble away at its market. In my view, it will have to establish itself over next couple of years before it does that. Also it looks as if the WS 13 will also take atleast that much time to get completely operationalized

Ok guys, the posts related to the cost thingy have been taken to the main JF-17 thread, so plzz continue the discussion over there.

As the discussion took a turn which was derailing the thread, so now those posts shifted to the main thread, discuss that thingy over there and discuss the topic on hand over here.

Thanks

There are a lot of Myths in this thread. I don't even know where to begin. Anyway, I'll just list some which I read.

Myth: RD-33 is a smoky engine while RD-93 is not.
Reality: RD-93 and RD-33 are the same engines. The initial RD-33 smoked a lot, but the RD-33 series 2 & RD-33 Series 3 don't smoke very much. They are more or less comparable to Al-31 engines in the smoke department. No one knows whether RD-93 is a RD-33 series 2 or series 3. But it's definitely one of these 2 variants with re-positioned gear boxes.

Myth: RD-93 has higher thrust.
Reality: The thrust of RD-93 is the same as the RD-33, which is 8300kgf or 18,300lbf. The often published figure of 8700kgf or 19200 lbf is just emergency thrust during take-off. It can be used only during take-off(Extremely useful in Scramble Missions). However technically, it is still the maximum thrust. But one has to read the fine print to know this maximum thrust is not the normal AB thrust. The only engine which has a new thrust is the brand new RD-33MK engine with close to 19,900 lbf ~ 9000kgf.

Myth: JF-17 has a TWR of 1.1.
Reality: JF-17, well, it can have a TWR of 1.1, but if that's the case then a Mig-21 will have a Thrust to Weight ratio of 1.08. We all know that is not the case. Mig-29 is the first soviet fighter to have a TWR(thrust to weight ratio) more than 1. The only possibility of JF-17 having TWR of 1.1 is when it is loaded with around 950kgs of fuel with no weapons. That is well below the half of fuel capacity!! So whoever said JF-17 has 1.1 TWR is either smoking weed or the JF-17 has additional thrust in the form of Klingon anti-gravity engines.

Having said that, there is no standard rule of calculating TWR. Some take, full fuel weight, others take half fuel with some weapons, and some add a constant weight, while others even take MTOW of the aircraft!! So technically JF-17 having a TWR of 1.1 isn't wrong, it's just that, no one uses such a method. If PAC uses such a method, then by that method a Mig-21 will have a TWR of 1.08 and Mig-29 will have a TWR of a Rocket!

And calculating TWR isn't rocket science. Be it a Lockheed Martin Engineer or a Mikoyan engineer, all of them use only one instrument- $2 calculator! There is no specialized instrument to calculate TWR, all you need to know are 2 things- weight and thrust, and do a simple calculation using a calc.

Myth: Mig-29 is accurately evaluated by USAF pilots without bias.
Reality: This is like saying, if IAF had a chance to evaluate the JF-17, it will be accurately evaluated by IAF pilots without bias.

Seriously, if any one is falling for it then I have nothing more to say. Not to mention, the supposed publication which started it all, the "code one magazine", is a magazine owned by Lockheed Martin! Lets see, a magazine owned by the maker of F-16 publishes an Article about the Mig-29 vs F-16 exercise. Hmm.. Am I the only one who is finding something wrong with this picture?

BTW, unfortunately, apart from USAF pilots, the other western pilots who have flown the Mig-29 are the West German pilots, who are still erst-while enemies of the Warsaw pact. So in the end it's like asking the enemy to complement the Mig-29. But hey, still it offers another insight other than Soviets complimenting their own machines.
The Mig-29 the Germans had was downgraded export models with very poor radar, no data link, and with lower thrust engines with heavy fuel consumption, than when compared to Standard Mig-29s. Even the IAF had the same Mig-29 package(except the Mig-29S which was received in the 1990s), except on the engine department where it was not downgraded.

During the West German vs USAF evaluation, Mig-29 lost out on BVR fighters due to its export Radar, but kicked F-16s a$$ in close combat. And how did the USAF pilots react to this? In the words of the West German pilots:

"But when all that is said and done, the MiG-29 is a superb fighter for close-in combat, even compared with aircraft like the F-15, F-16 and F/A-18. This is due to the aircraft’s superb aerodynamics and helmet mounted sight. Inside ten nautical miles I’m hard to defeat, and with the IRST, helmet sight and ‘Archer’ I can’t be beaten. Period. Even against the latest Block 50 F-16s the MiG-29 is virtually invulnerable in the close-in scenario. On one occasion I remember the F-16s did score some kills eventually, but only after taking 18 ‘Archers’. We didn’t operate kill removal (forcing ‘killed’ aircraft to leave the fight) since they’d have got no training value, we killed them too quickly. (Just as we might seldom have got close-in if they used their AMRAAMs BVR!) They couldn’t believe it at the debrief, they got up and left the room! They might not like it, but with a 28deg/sec instantaneous turn rate (compared to the Block 50 F-16's 26deg) we can out-turn them."

Luftwaffe MiG-29 experience - positives and negatives

Hmm.. "Got up and left the room". That's the mentality of the USAF pilots who are writing reviews on the F-16 vs Mig-29 on Forums or Magazines. Some would call it being sore losers, but I'd say its the same everywhere. When LCA completed its test flight, the test pilot said, it handled like a Mirage-2000. But we all know the truth now don't we. LCA cannot even pull 9Gs and has a speed less than that of the Mirage.
So the lesson here is: Most pilots would not accept their planes are inferior to the enemy's plane.

Myth: JF-17 is extremely close to Mig-29 was said by Pogosyan.
Reality: RIA Novosti didn't quote that sentence. Pogosyan only mentioned it is a threat to Mig-29 in the Market. This thing was reported by Russia's Dork media- Russia Today. They mis-interpreted which was earlier reported in RIA. They even mentioned FC-1 is a copy of the Mig-29. Seems like Russia Today has as much knowledge as India's NewsX.

Some interesting facts on the Mig-29.

Mig-29 is the fastest plane in the Indian inventory. Mach 2.35. MKI top speed is only a mere 1.9 Mach.

Mig-29 has the best TWR in the Indian Inventory. MKI is very heavy. When MKI first arrived, in mock dogfights, Mig-29 won repeatedly against MKI. MKI could only catch up to the Mig-29 when the Sukhoi was on Bingo fuel!!

Some people have repeatedly asked for JF-17s Specs. There is a lot of confusion because PAC Kamra website hasn't been updated in half a decade and Wiki blindly quotes that. But CAC/PAC has put up the most up to date recent specs in Farnborough(also on IDEAS 2008).

Height: 5.1m
Width: 8.5m
Length: 14m
Empty Weight: 14,520lb
Speed: 1.6 Mach
G's: 8
Maximum Thrust: 8700kgf or 19,200lbf

Last edited:
There are a lot of Myths in this thread. I don't even know where to begin. Anyway, I'll just list some which I read.
During the West German vs USAF evaluation, Mig-29 lost out on BVR fighters due to its export Radar, but kicked F-16s a$$ in close combat. And how did the USAF pilots react to this? In the words of the West German pilots:

"But when all that is said and done, the MiG-29 is a superb fighter for close-in combat, even compared with aircraft like the F-15, F-16 and F/A-18. This is due to the aircraft’s superb aerodynamics and helmet mounted sight. Inside ten nautical miles I’m hard to defeat, and with the IRST, helmet sight and ‘Archer’ I can’t be beaten. Period. Even against the latest Block 50 F-16s the MiG-29 is virtually invulnerable in the close-in scenario. On one occasion I remember the F-16s did score some kills eventually, but only after taking 18 ‘Archers’. We didn’t operate kill removal (forcing ‘killed’ aircraft to leave the fight) since they’d have got no training value, we killed them too quickly. (Just as we might seldom have got close-in if they used their AMRAAMs BVR!) They couldn’t believe it at the debrief, they got up and left the room! They might not like it, but with a 28deg/sec instantaneous turn rate (compared to the Block 50 F-16's 26deg) we can out-turn them."

While the Mig-29 is marvelous piece of aerodynamic engineering and it is true the Archer slaved to the pilots helmet sights initially resulted in kills for the Mig-29. The German pilots should have qualified his statement by adding inside ten nautical miles in a low-speed, high alpha envelope. Of course considerable time has passed since the above event and both fighters have received significant upgrades. The F-16's that trained with German Migs did not have JHMCS and so the helmet mounted sights was a significant advantage for the Fulcrum. In addition, the F-16's flight computer restricts AoA to prevent departure from controlled flight. The Mig-29 imposes no such restriction, our pilots were quite impressed with how the Mig-29 upon departure elegantly returned to controlled flight when the stick was released.

Outside of the slow turning regimes the German Fulcrums were very vulnerable.Our pilots quickly learnt to keep air speed above 300 knots, at that speed the Viper was able turn and burn a lot better than the Mig-29. This advantage is derived from the fly-by-wire and a highly responsive self tuning engine, both of which the German MIG-29 lacked. The German Mig-29 on the other hand was slow to respond to stick input, while the F-16 pilots enjoyed instantaneous stick response. There are other limitations of the German MIG-29, poor situational awareness from the need to take eyes off the target to look down at the radar display or toggle switches while the F-16 pilot employed shoot and scoot tactics. If the Mig-29 pilot was fortunate to survive the merge he often lost the F-16 while his eyes adjusted from looking at his instruments and switches to the view outside the cockpit, forcing the pilot to request Viper coordinates from ground control.

We let the German pilots brag and for a long time many believed the German Mig-29's "kicked F-16s a$$" and this is exactly what we wanted everyone to think-our pilots were explicitly ordered not to reveal details of the engagement.

Myth: RD-33 is a smoky engine while RD-93 is not.
Reality: RD-93 and RD-33 are the same engines. The initial RD-33 smoked a lot, but the RD-33 series 2 & RD-33 Series 3 don't smoke very much. They are more or less comparable to Al-31 engines in the smoke department. No one knows whether RD-93 is a RD-33 series 2 or series 3. But it's definitely one of these 2 variants with re-positioned gear boxes.

This may be an Indian myth, not a Pakistani myth. We all are well aware and have seen the smoky nature of the RD-93s fitted in JF-17s, thus saying they don't smoke, well Indians may have made this up, we Pakistani members very much acknowledge the smoky nature of the engines, but definitely less smoky compared to original ones.

Myth: RD-93 has higher thrust.
Reality: The thrust of RD-93 is the same as the RD-33, which is 8300kgf or 18,300lbf. The often published figure of 8700kgf or 19200 lbf is just emergency thrust during take-off. It can be used only during take-off(Extremely useful in Scramble Missions). However technically, it is still the maximum thrust. But one has to read the fine print to know this maximum thrust is not the normal AB thrust. The only engine which has a new thrust is the brand new RD-33MK engine with close to 19,900 lbf ~ 9000kgf.

Since you are new to the forum, just to let you know, we have on this forum some very senior as well as reliable and authentic members whose initial disclosures of few tit bits about JF-17 program came out to be true later on through official sources, reason being they know people from within the organization which is making JF-17 planes and have know how of the program, thus if they say the thrust of the variant JF-17 is getting is more then what is being publicly stated, it for sure is reliable for us, may be not for Indian members, which is very understandable. By the way we are not here to prove it to Indian members, we are here for our own learning and knowledge purposes and since these tit bits from such members has come true, there is nothing wrong in believing them, you guys can't, none of our problem, we are not here to make you guys believe it.

By the way, the RD-33MK series of engines came out way back in 2001, so why can't the RD-93 engines supplied much later have the same or near to specifications as RD-33MK ?? Who knows Russians may have provided the higher thrust version to us, but lower stats are being published for obvious reasons. So you guys keep thinking whatever you want and let us think what we want to.

Myth: JF-17 has a TWR of 1.1.
Reality: JF-17, well, it can have a TWR of 1.1, but if that's the case then a Mig-21 will have a Thrust to Weight ratio of 1.08. We all know that is not the case. Mig-29 is the first soviet fighter to have a TWR(thrust to weight ratio) more than 1. The only possibility of JF-17 having TWR of 1.1 is when it is loaded with around 950kgs of fuel with no weapons. That is well below the half of fuel capacity!! So whoever said JF-17 has 1.1 TWR is either smoking weed or the JF-17 has additional thrust in the form of Klingon anti-gravity engines.

Having said that, there is no standard rule of calculating TWR. Some take, full fuel weight, others take half fuel with some weapons, and some add a constant weight, while others even take MTOW of the aircraft!! So technically JF-17 having a TWR of 1.1 isn't wrong, it's just that, no one uses such a method. If PAC uses such a method, then by that method a Mig-21 will have a TWR of 1.08 and Mig-29 will have a TWR of a Rocket!

Then again, should we be taking what you have to say or the words of the pilot flying the JF-17 who would definitely know what he is talking about ??

And to just let you do some math, the loaded with weight of JF-17 is shown as 9,100KG, with full fuel + 2 wing tip missiles.

So now take out the piece by piece of this 9,100KG weight, you have empty weight of 6,411KG, 2,300KG fuel and the rest 389KG goes for the 2 wing tip missiles. So it means the missiles are being taken as approx 190KG per piece, isn't that too much for a WVR missile ?? It is, as the PL-5EII version being used on JF-17s weight just 83KG per piece, thus a massive reduction of the weight of the 2 wing tip missiles from 390KG to just about 166KG for 2 WVR missiles, a massive 223KG reduction in the weight for just wing tip missiles. From my calculation it seems, the weight of the wing tip missiles was taken for a BVR range missile which are in the 190-200KG weight category, as there is nothing else which can justify a 190KG wing tip missile.

So, now limited usage of composites has already started and it has led to few hundred KG further weight reduction, so with such massive weight reductions as demonstrated by the wing tip missile weight calculations, its very plausible that JF-17s TWR is more then 1, especially with the engine thrust to be little higher then what is expected by people on the forums.

Myth: JF-17 is extremely close to Mig-29 was said by Pogosyan.
Reality: RIA Novosti didn't quote that sentence. Pogosyan only mentioned it is a threat to Mig-29 in the Market. This thing was reported by Russia's Dork media- Russia Today. They mis-interpreted which was earlier reported in RIA. They even mentioned FC-1 is a copy of the Mig-29. Seems like Russia Today has as much knowledge as India's NewsX.

What is the myth about this ?? This is a statement which can be taken as what you like or want to hear. Twisting of some statement, what is the myth about this ?? Why are you Indians making myths from nothing ?? JF-17 giving Mig a run for its money is more then enough to tell what JF-17 has evolved into, which is a fact not myth, how you, we or the Russian news agency wants to portray it doesn't makes it a myth. We Pakistani members are well aware that Mig-29 is superior in certain aspects, while JF-17 holds its ground in certain others, it is for the operator to decide which one suits its better compared to its requirements and what the planes are offering.

Some people have repeatedly asked for JF-17s Specs. There is a lot of confusion because PAC Kamra website hasn't been updated in half a decade and Wiki blindly quotes that. But CAC/PAC has put up the most up to date recent specs in Farnborough(also on IDEAS 2008).

Height: 5.1m
Width: 8.5m
Length: 14m
Empty Weight: 14,520lb
Speed: 1.6 Mach
G's: 8
Maximum Thrust: 8700kgf or 19,200lbf

Yeah lot of confusion in this regard, here see these two websites of the official manufacturer and you will find contrast in them also.

Pakistan Aeronautical Complex....

and compare it with this one:

Pakistan Aeronautical Complex....

So buddy, don't make myths out of yourself, we Pakistani members have not made myths out of anything, so shouldn't you.

We have some very respected, senior and knowledgeable and even ex-PAF members and they know what they are talking about and what tit bits they give out about JF-17 regarding its specifications, we believe them, you guys can't, no worries, we are not forcing you to.

Back
Top Bottom