What's new

JF-17 Block I already upgraded ??

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
FB_IMG_1447932646223.jpg

This picture was taken by Tajikistan president jets pilot. The number on these suggest Jets are BLOCK II but picture on Tail is of Panther and Panther Squadron got BLOCK I. Can somebody explain this ?
@Windjammer @Oscar @DESERT FIGHTER @Horus @Arsalan

Yup blk 2. Pakistan usually announces its defence related news when it feels is the time, while they can continue operating in operational duties. Like the example of UCAVs which were under operation since 2012-2013.

The aircraft behind the first one probably reads "141" or "149". So it seems its a mix of Blk-I and Blk-II.

View attachment 273279
This picture was taken by Tajikistan president jets pilot. The number on these suggest Jets are BLOCK II but picture on Tail is of Panther and Panther Squadron got BLOCK I. Can somebody explain this ?
@Windjammer @Oscar @DESERT FIGHTER @Horus @Arsalan

Sqds get reequipped with new machines. Panthers were already using JF-17s, the Blk-II has no structural change, just better avionics, upgraded radar and stuff like that. So its very suitable to give the new upgraded machines to the Sqds which are already operating them, get from them the old ones and upgrade them to the new Sqd which will be raised.

This way the new machine gets tested by the pilots who are already in the field and the operational Sqds of JF-17s get the latest machine for front use.

Sqds get reequipped with new machines. Panthers were already using JF-17s, the Blk-II has no structural change, just better avionics, upgraded radar and stuff like that. So its very suitable to give the new upgraded machines to the Sqds which are already operating them, get from them the old ones and upgrade them to the new Sqd which will be raised.

This way the new machine gets tested by the pilots who are already in the field and the operational Sqds of JF-17s get the latest machine for front use.
But sir what about in-flight refueling probe did block II equipped with that.

Last edited:
But sir what about in flight refueling pods did block II equipped with that.

Yeah. Internal mechanism is there. Its removable. We may start seeing them in 2016. For now its being tested on 1 or 2 of the prototypes at Kamra. Once flight testing is done, they will get installed.

15-212

15 mean years 2015
2 means Block II
12 mean 12th Plane
so i guess 15 are already flying as we saw no 13 14 already in some videos and pics

By year end, hopefully 20 or more of the Blk-IIs will be in operation.

Tail Number is 15-272 which shows that this very aircraft is 2015 production which further implies that Panthers have been supplemented with Block IIs too.

am i blind or there is no refueling probe in JF block 2 ?
It has already been established that 29th aircraft onward of block II is planned for AAR probe.

The first Block 2 JF-17 Thunder combat aircraft made its maiden flight from the Pakistan Aeronautical Company (PAC) facility at Kamra on 9 February.

The aircraft (serial number 2P01) made three more successful flights before being taken to the paint shop in mid-February. The test flights came as a boost as PAC continues to look for a first export customer for its platform.

Air Commodore Ahsan Rafiq, Deputy Chief Project Director (Operations) JF-17 and a former commanding officer of the JF-17 Test and Evaluation Unit, described the Block 2 version as "an upgraded Block 1 with an air-to-air refuelling (AAR) probe, enhanced oxygen system [to allow the pilot to stay in the air longer], and improved electronic countermeasures system (ECS)".

The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) has a contract for 50 Block 2 JF-17s but as Air Cdre Ahsan pointed out, "the full AAR system will not appear until the 29th jet, which should fly later this year [at Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC) in China]."

In a further development that sends a clear signal that PAC and Chinese marketing partner CATIC intend business in the international arena, the Block 2 JF-17 will also have a two-seater version, which is now being developed at Chengdu according to the PAF's requirements.

"We know potential customers would like to see a two-seater, although it is not such a big deal for the PAF, which started flying several types, [A-5, F-6, F-7P and F-7PG] without a training version," Air Cdre Ahsan said. "This will give us the chance to show potential suitors how the jet can perform in the air."

Block 2 JF-17 makes first flight ahead of Block 3 improvements | IHS Jane's 360

I believe that No 16 units original aircraft may have been passed on to the newly converted No 2 Squadron.
It's also possible that No 16 also acts as R&E unit for the JF-17 hence it puts the new aircraft through their paces.

10608429_814385525293027_5063857178145901232_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom