What's new

Japan's PM hints at semiconductor subsidies as part of wider growth plan [including a fab using IBM's historic 🏆 world's first 2nm wafer tech]

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like Japan wants to be the next Taiwan...

Japan will join the ranks of nations betting on silicon-fuelled growth after prime minister Fumio Kishida yesterday instructed his cabinet to put together an economic stimulus package that includes tax breaks for capital investment and R&D related to semiconductors.

The PM's Monday pitch included labor market reforms, further digital transformation, environmental reforms, and overall growth of Japan's industrial capacity through investment promotion and backing startups. The plan was developed in response to tepid growth.

Kishida rated semiconductors as a strategic investment for their potential to bring growth to rural areas, and to boost wages.

The Japanese government has previously sought to boost domestic chip production, which currently centers around the supply of manufacturing equipment – including deep ultraviolet lithography (DUV) machines.

In May, the PM signed the Hiroshima Accord – an agreement with the UK to cooperate on semiconductors. Japan previously agreed to back US chip sanctions.

The country managed to draw in investments last May from Micron Technology, Kyocera and reportedly Samsung, which collectively pledged billions to build and expand chip plants. Meanwhile, IBM agreed to allow Japanese government-backed chipmaker Rapidus Corporation commercialize its 2nm process technology for mass production.

With or without the future stimulus, Japan appears set to score one major silicon investment: multiple reports suggest Mitsubishi Chemical Group plans to build and operate a chipmaking materials plant in the nation by March 2025.

Although the manufacturing giant has not confirmed details, Fukuoka Prefecture is rumored to be the preferred location for the estimated $6.7 million photoresist polymer plant.

However, when The Register approached Mitsubishi Chemical a spokesman told us this was "speculation and is not based on any institutional decision by us."

Mitsubishi Chemical already has another photoresist plant in Yokohama, which singlehandedly has supplied around 90 percent of the global photoresist market, according to Nikkei Asia. ®

Rapidus ramps as construction begins on 2nm wafer fab​

Rapidus has reportedly received 370 billion yen ($2.5 billion) in government subsidies, and has solicited the help of IBM to produce chips on its 2nm gate-all-around transistor tech, which it demoed in early 2021.

I think this is the death of ASML and TSMC.

The latest TSMC 3nm is flawed (see Apple latest chips).

Once TSMC perfecting their 3nm chip, Japan will strike with 2nm chips.

Subsidies are inevitable. COVID caused supply chain issues and China's aggression in Asia motivated technologically First World countries to realize that they cannot depend on Asia -- in general -- for semicon products. Not every First World country can have their own native semicon industry, of course, but what they can do is create a strategic semicon alliance where they can rely on each other -- on fair trade -- for semicon products. That movement is on the way and irreversible.

I think this is the death of ASML and TSMC.

The latest TSMC 3nm is flawed (see Apple latest chips).

Once TSMC perfecting their 3nm chip, Japan will strike with 2nm chips.
You mixed up. Asml is machine manufacturer, while Tsml uses Asml machines to make chips. Two different things.
10 or 3 or 2nm is the wide of structure that equals the wave length of the light source. Only Asml makes such machines. no company in Japan can’t make it. Japan, Germany produce components. Asml machines are light cannon in principle.

Japan keeps betting on the wrong thing to be the next best thing, when a gambler is on a losing streak, they tend not to cut losses, rather they keep raising the bet on even less odds in hope of turning the tide, Japan is like that, trapped in the circle. IBM tech may be fine but we've seen so many of their patents failed to evolve from lab environment to actual mass production, which usually is the hardest part

Japan keeps betting on the wrong thing to be the next best thing, when a gambler is on a losing streak, they tend not to cut losses, rather they keep raising the bet on even less odds in hope of turning the tide, Japan is like that, trapped in the circle. IBM tech may be fine but we've seen so many of their patents failed to evolve from lab environment to actual mass production, which usually is the hardest part

I would assume Japan has already confirmed the tech is scalable before spending crazy money on a full-sized factory.

Look at how Huawei supposedly scaled up their chip source quickly.

I would assume Japan has already confirmed the tech is scalable before spending crazy money on a full-sized factory.
you should take a look at how much money they put into the bet on hydrogen fuel cells. crazy bettors is waht they are, always trying to turn things around with a one time bet, the hit on pearl harbor was just another example

I wouldn't write fuel cells off just yet. While I don't think it is practical for consumer cars it may be for other vehicles.
If we can produce hydrogen as cheap as extract lithium then fuel cells have a great future. hydrogen are fast superior to lithium battery. It is more than 100 times energy density per mass equivalent. An electric car can drive 5,000 miles instead 500 miles with a charge.

But that’s off topic here.

If we can produce hydrogen as cheap as extract lithium then fuel cells have a great future. hydrogen are fast superior to lithium battery. It is more than 100 times energy density per mass equivalent. An electric car can drive 5,000 miles instead 500 miles with a charge.

But that’s off topic here.
some people still think plasma TVs are superior to LCDs even to this day, makes no difference. Market already made its choice, same as EV.
I wouldn't write fuel cells off just yet. While I don't think it is practical for consumer cars it may be for other vehicles.
test-run hydrogen trucks and bus route have been reporting negative profit on a daily basis, they are to be scrapped soon

v2-d637ba050215d077bfd649a0f35349a0_720w.webp

These days everyone in free market economy is talking about -- subsidies. Meanwhile they are also threatening to ban Chinese goods such as PV because they allege GoC subsidize PV makers.

I thought West has become a central plan economy and SOE.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom