What's new

Japan firm obliges Filipino workers to waive its responsibility for deaths

Is what this dude said is true that domestic worker make more in Japan than Hong Kong because I read before that the highest wage for domestic worker is in Hong Kong? Like for example the MAW included food allowable wage can included.

You have to also take into consideration that I'm basing the wage on the United States Dollar. Not the Hong Kong Dollar.

Remember that 1 United States Dollar = 7.75 Hong Kong Dollar

So, 4,000 Hong Kong Dollars = 516 United States Dollars.

In Japan, home care workers have a monthly salary of around 150,000 to 202,000 Japanese Yen = 1,500 to 2,000 United States Dollars. Which in turn is equivalent to 11,625 to 15,500 Hong Kong Dollars.

Mind you, a salary range of $1500 to $2000 (United States Dollars) a month is well below the poverty line for Japanese society. But for foreign and domestic workers, it is considered well paying for them. Most of them usually send their salary to their beneficiaries in their home countries. And $1000 goes a long way to send their kids to school, and expenses for their families.

You have to look at it in their context.

To give perspective, of how home care workers make in comparison to other professionals in Japan: Annual Salary:

Medical Doctor's salary is around = 15,000,000 Yen to 20,000,000 Yen . This is about $150,000 to $200,000 (United States Dollars)

Civil Engineer [Bachelor's education w/ experience] = 4,164,000 Yen. This is equivalent to around $41,000 (United States Dollars)

Human Resource / Management = 8,400,000 Yen to 9,600,000 Yen. This is equivalent to around $82,000 to $95,000 (United States Dollars)

To give perspective, of how home care workers make in comparison to other professionals in Japan: Annual Salary:

Medical Doctor's salary is around = 15,000,000 Yen to 20,000,000 Yen . This is about $150,000 to $200,000 (United States Dollars)

Civil Engineer [Bachelor's education w/ experience] = 4,164,000 Yen. This is equivalent to around $41,000 (United States Dollars)

Human Resource / Management = 8,400,000 Yen to 9,600,000 Yen. This is equivalent to around $82,000 to $95,000 (United States Dollars)

How about the professors' salary in JP's university, compared to US standard? I know some American professor earn more than $300,000.

How about the professors' salary in JP's university, compared to US standard? I know some American professor earn more than $300,000.

It depends on the status of the instructor.

Assistant Professor , without tenure, would make around ¥ 4,561,000 = $ 45,000 [United States Dollars]

Associate Professor , with tenure ould make around ¥ 7,000,000 = $70,000 [United States Dollars]

Professor, with tenure would range in the level of specialization, but it would be around ¥ 9,000,000 to ¥ 10,000,000 = $90,000 to $100,000 [United States Dollars].

------

What about in China? Can you give me an estimate of average Chinese salaries?

Last edited:
It depends on the status of the instructor.

Assistant Professor , without tenure, would make around ¥ 4,561,000 = $ 45,000 [United States Dollars]

Associate Professor , with tenure ould make around ¥ 7,000,000 = $70,000 [United States Dollars]

Professor, with tenure would range in the level of specialization, but it would be around ¥ 9,000,000 to ¥ 10,000,000 = $90,000 to $100,000.

------

What about in China? Can you give me an estimate of average Chinese salaries?

LOL, China? Looks like our data is not that good. I don't know much about the college salary. I only know some thing about the financial industry, it depends on region and the nature of the company. In trust fund industry, the average salary is 598,000 RMB, that is nearly $100,000 USD. In commercial bank industry, it's 253,000 RMB, which is $40,000 USD. In investment bank, it's 274,000 RMB, nearly $44,000, and forget about the insurance industry, too low. This is just industry avg, some earn very high in eastern coast cities or capital cities, while some earn rather low in inland small cities.

LOL, China? Looks like our data is not that good. I don't know much about the college salary. I only know some thing about the financial industry, it depends on region and the nature of the company. In trust fund industry, the average salary is 598,000 RMB, that is nearly $100,000 USD. In commercial bank industry, it's 253,000 RMB, which is $40,000 USD. In investment bank, it's 274,000 RMB, nearly $44,000, and forget about the insurance industry, too low. This is just industry avg, some earn very high in eastern coast cities or capital cities, while some earn rather low in inland small cities.

Thanks a bunch, Ed. It looks to me that China is moving in the right direction. Excellent. :-)

While Filipinos working as domestic helpers will not decreases, had the Philippine government remove the 60/40 economic restriction which is in the Constitution, the Philippines will not suffer a "brain drain" as most professionals leave the country to seek jobs that are not available in the Philippines due to foreign investors unwilling to invest in a country where they have only 60% ownership of their investments, thus no jobs are made save for the BPOs which is on 6-month contractual basis at start.

While there are certainly similar jobs that requires professional are found in the country, these companies are made by local companies which gives a monthly salary of around PHP11,120 (US$255 or PHP 133,440 or US$3056 per year) which is the minimum wage, it is not enough to cover the family expenses due to soaring prices, thus the only option is to find a similar job outside the country that gives better salary.

While Filipinos working as domestic helpers will not decreases, had the Philippine government remove the 60/40 economic restriction which is in the Constitution, the Philippines will not suffer a "brain drain" as most professionals leave the country to seek jobs that are not available in the Philippines due to foreign investors unwilling to invest in a country where they have only 60% ownership of their investments, thus no jobs are made save for the BPOs which is on 6-month contractual basis at start.

While there are certainly similar jobs that requires professional are found in the country, these companies are made by local companies which gives a monthly salary of around PHP11,120 (US$255 or PHP 133,440 or US$3056 per year) which is the minimum wage, it is not enough to cover the family expenses due to soaring prices, thus the only option is to find a similar job outside the country that gives better salary.

Sana nga (i hope so) anyway let me just add that we have jobs here but unfortunately the skills job ratio is why off and low salaries so many people are force to go outside the Philippines but great majority do come back

Sana nga (i hope so) anyway let me just add that we have jobs here but unfortunately the skills job ratio is why off and low salaries so many people are force to go outside the Philippines but great majority do come back

One of the solutions is to remove the economic restrictions so that the investors could come here without any doubts and create jobs that the professional Filipinos have been looking outside, possibly with the same amount of salary offered. Protectionism will not save the country, rather it is like shooting ourselves on the feet.

Back
Top Bottom