What's new

Japan firm obliges Filipino workers to waive its responsibility for deaths

Edison Chen

Reaction score
Country
China
1_1.jpg

A Japanese nursing-care service provider requires Filipino job applicants sign a statement absolving the company of any responsibility should they die in Japan, the statement obtained by Kyodo News showed Saturday.

”...in case of loss of life of the undersigned through natural circumstances while in Japan, I release, waive and forever discharge Juju Corporation, its officers, directors, representatives or employees from any action for sums of money or other obligations arising,” the statement said.

There have been complaints from Filipino employees about harsh working conditions, while another document showed Juju Corp. in Higashiosaka, Osaka Prefecture, had one employee work on night duty 13 times one month.

The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare has started a probe into why the company had its employees sign such a statement, written in both Japanese and English, as well as its working conditions.

Juju operates 13 facilities in Osaka and Nara prefectures in western Japan. It started hiring Filipino women around 2009.

According to Filipino women and documents regarding their contracts, an organization related to Juju distributed the statement to them when they were interviewed in Manila as part of a recruitment procedure.

A former Juju employee said she could not change jobs when she wanted to because she had owed the company hundreds of thousands of yen in travel and other expenses.

Hidekazu Kobayashi, head of Kyoei Group which has Juju under its umbrella, told Kyodo News that he declines to comment on the matter at this point.

Hong Kong, home to some 320,000 foreign maids, has seen several high-profile court cases lately in which domestic workers have alleged torture and abuse at the hands of their employers.

A report by Amnesty International issued last year also warned that Indonesian migrant domestic workers, account for nearly half of all helpers in Hong Kong, are at risk of serious human and labour rights violations in the city.

Interesting , i wonder the status of the workers in Hong Kong ! I think it is a necessary trade-off. Considering domestic workers coming to Japan will be paid substantially higher than if they were to work in Hong Kong, Singapore, or in the Middle East. Plus, this policy should be effective in turning away those who would come to the country for reason to sue the organization hiring them. These workers will , of course, be given medical care, which would be included in their employment benefits. So, no need for them to worry.

:)

Even with such anomalous waivers and policies, it won't stop Filipinos going overseas even if they know the risks... unless someone actually dies that the local government will only do something.

But even if the government would step in to do something, nothing will change, the Middle East is an example.

Working conditions in Japan must be harsh for these filipino maids. That's why over 320,000 work in HK. Despite some abuse by their employer most are quite satisfy.

Even with such anomalous waivers and policies, it won't stop Filipinos going overseas even if they know the risks... unless someone actually dies that the local government will only do something.

But even if the government would step in to do something, nothing will change, the Middle East is an example.

Yes, but given the degree of quality of life in Japan, i don't think your people need worry. Japanese employment firms do this , too, for even Japanese employees. In return, they can take part of a 401K, which will be offered, retirement benefits, and mandatory health benefits plans, which are included in the employment benefits.

Domestic workers salary in Japan pays Yen 151,965, = $1,500 a month.
I think in the Philippine equivalent it will be 63,000 Pesos (at 42 pesos per dollar)

This is very high , in Philippine standard, i think.

Working conditions in Japan must be harsh for these filipino maids. That's why over 320,000 work in HK. Despite some abuse by their employer most are quite satisfy.

We had limited in quota on domestic workers before, this explains the lower number. But recently we have increased it.

Also, unlike in Hong Kong, a lot of these Filipina workers eventually marry Japanese men. This is very common in Japan.

Yes, but given the degree of quality of life in Japan, i don't think your people need worry. Japanese employment firms do this , too, for even Japanese employees. In return, they can take part of a 401K, which will be offered, retirement benefits, and mandatory health benefits plans, which are included in the employment benefits.

I think in the Philippine equivalent it will be 63,000 Pesos (at 42 pesos per dollar)

We had limited in quota on domestic workers before, this explains the lower number. But recently we have increased it.

Also, unlike in Hong Kong, a lot of these Filipina workers eventually marry Japanese men. This is very common in Japan.

Only $1500? mm, why is salary so low in Japan? Or is it just for foreign domestic workers?

Way above high, the last time I worked (it was in a government agency as an encoder), the basic monthly salary is around PHP10,000 to PHP 20,000 or around Yen 20,000 to Yen 40,000 but this depends on the position. The salary on the private sector is the same as the stated salary is the minimum.

Only $1500? mm, why is salary so low in Japan? Or is it just for foreign domestic workers?

That is just for domestic workers. But that is high in comparisons to what they would make in their country, or even in Hong Kong, Singapore, Middle East.

Back to topic, I think there is nothing wrong with the statement, which says

.in case of loss of life of the undersigned through natural circumstances

natural circumstances. But of course legal professionals can interpret this phrase in different ways.

Way above high, the last time I worked (it was in a government agency as an encoder), the basic monthly salary is around PHP10,000 to PHP 20,000 or around Yen 20,000 to Yen 40,000 but this depends on the position. The salary on the private sector is the same as the stated salary is the minimum.

That is good to know ! I know that the salary they make may not be 'high' as compared to other professions here in Japan. However, don't think that their quality of life is low there, or that they are targetted. This is not the case. We in Japan know the kindness and compassion of Filipino caregivers, and Filipino nurses. And we are grateful that your people come to the country to work, and to offer much needed care-giving services to elderly, and sickly Japanese.

@Cossack25A1 ,

Also, I want to clarify that the salary of domestic worker / home-care giver in Japan is about US dollar equivalent of $1500/ month.

But, the Filipinos who come to Japan to work as Registered Nurses are paid at a standard Nurse's salary of Yen 350,000 / month. [That is around $3,500 / month ; at US Dollar equivalency].

So, the rate of pay increases as the technical skills is higher.

A qualified maid in Shanghai and Beijing earns that and more. By qualified I mean experience, references, and quality service. Even in my city of Dalian, it's 1000 at the very least for a semi qualified maid, meaning new on the scene.

But this is a non issue, they are working as maids, not the bomb squad, what could possibly cause death? Other than what's normal for all others, like accidents.

What I really don't understand is why people need maids and domestic help in the first place. Even if Im 80 years old, I would still cook my own meals and clean up after myself.

Should the day come when i cannot do these things, I thinks its more honorable to just leave the house one day and make myself disappear.

Wow I didn't know Filipino maids in Japan make that much. That's pretty good actually. We actually have a sitter for my grandma in the Philippines and she only gets 3,000 pesos a month. Now I feel bad.

Wow I didn't know Filipino maids in Japan make that much. That's pretty good actually. We actually have a sitter for my grandma in the Philippines and she only gets 3,000 pesos a month. Now I feel bad.

My grandfather (mom's father) lives with my parents back in Sapporo , and because my parents both work, they hire a care giver to take care of him. She also does general cleaning up, and she lives with them in our house. She has a room on the 2nd floor, practically part of the family. We pay her good, for the work she does. Around $2000 a month.

Filipinos that live in Japan work in a lot of fields. Many are in care giving, domestic help work, some work in skilled labor job like manufacturing work. And we have some that work in farms as farm help. But I would like to say that people shouldn't look at this in low standard, it is , afterall, honest work.

An in Japan, immigrant workers are guaranteed health insurance by employers. In fact, it is mandated by the state. So, it is unlike some countries where they pay certain amount, but health insurance and care is not included.

A qualified maid in Shanghai and Beijing earns that and more. By qualified I mean experience, references, and quality service. Even in my city of Dalian, it's 1000 at the very least for a semi qualified maid, meaning new on the scene.

But this is a non issue, they are working as maids, not the bomb squad, what could possibly cause death? Other than what's normal for all others, like accidents.

Well, that is understandable, since Beijing and Shanghai are both international cities. In fact, Chinese domestic workers living in these cities would make significantly more than the average CHinese does. Remember, average per capita of Chinese is $7,300 a year. That is $608 / month.

So, the Chinese maids in Shanghai / Beijing would be making more than the national average. Probably as much as twice or three times as much.

That is good to know ! I know that the salary they make may not be 'high' as compared to other professions here in Japan. However, don't think that their quality of life is low there, or that they are targetted. This is not the case. We in Japan know the kindness and compassion of Filipino caregivers, and Filipino nurses. And we are grateful that your people come to the country to work, and to offer much needed care-giving services to elderly, and sickly Japanese.

@Cossack25A1 ,

Also, I want to clarify that the salary of domestic worker / home-care giver in Japan is about US dollar equivalent of $1500/ month.

But, the Filipinos who come to Japan to work as Registered Nurses are paid at a standard Nurse's salary of Yen 350,000 / month. [That is around $3,500 / month ; at US Dollar equivalency].

So, the rate of pay increases as the technical skills is higher.
Is what this dude said is true that domestic worker make more in Japan than Hong Kong because I read before that the highest wage for domestic worker is in Hong Kong? Like for example the MAW included food allowable wage can included.

The Government announced today (September 30) that the Minimum Allowable Wage (MAW) for foreign domestic helpers (FDHs) in Hong Kong is to be increased by $90 from $3,920 to $4,010 per month, up by 2.3 per cent.

http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201309/30/P201309300438.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom