What's new

J-11D

I just had a bit of free-time ... even if surely not the best job, I 'cleaned' the J-11D-image a bit !

J-11D prototype - maiden flight 29.11.15 - clean.jpg

I just had a bit of free-time ... even if surely not the best job, I 'cleaned' the J-11D-image a bit !

View attachment 217932

This bird is prettier than the previous J-11 series

Shenyang J-11 fighter jet (Image from wikipedia.org)

It is reported to have better active phased array radar, use more composite materials in its wings and tail, and be capable of firing more advanced air-to-air missiles like PL-10 and PL-15.

I just don't understand why it is equipped by PL-10 instead of a newer Missile Type. For example PL-12. Can someone explain this? PL-8, PL-10, PL-12, PL-15, what is the different?

@Horus @fatman17 @Oscar Our Chinese friends are claiming J-11 D to be better than SU-35. Are they right in massive delusion Please reply me

Well, everybody claim that's their toy is better than the others, so why not? Being delusion or not, J-11D is the pride of China. So, there is nothing wrong for some Chinese people to claim it as the best aircraft in the world. Just like Russian who claim their fighter as the best, French claim Rafale as the best, and the American claim F-22 as the top and unbeatable.

True or not, that's depend on the user. Even the mightiest Fighter in the world can't do anything if being thrown into combat against an equal adversary who has more support, training, combat experience, and better operation formation

Last edited:
I can't help myself, but why do I still have that strange feeling that the new radome does not follow the external lines of the original one but has indeed a new shape ?? :what: It looks much more J-10B-sytlish than flankerish ???
Right, Yankee has said J-11D used radar may be from CETC 14th institute,and I agree with him for two reasons:
1. the shape is similar to J-10B but not J-16 as you said
2. CETC 14th institute has won most competition for radars of air superiority fighter such as J-10B and J-20

Right, Yankee has said J-11D used radar may be from CETC 14th institute,and I agree with him for two reasons:
1. the shape is similar to J-10B but not J-16 as you said
2. CETC 14th institute has won most competition for radars of air superiority fighter such as J-10B and J-20

Deino is not a Yankee. he is a crazy Chinese's fighter fan :) Just like me

This bird is prettier than the previous J-11 series

I just don't understand why it is equipped by PL-10 instead of a newer Missile Type. For example PL-12. Can someone explain this? PL-8, PL-10, PL-12, PL-15, what is the different?
PL-10 is a WVR missile and is the most advance version for PLAAF. PL-12 is a BVRAAM.

J20blackdragon explained Su-35 has only 1 advantage over the J-11D.....engines.

In everything else, J-11D is superior to Su-35.

J-11D is the best 4.5 generation fighter in the world. Closest competitor are Su-35 and Eurofighter. Rafale, F-16E, F-15,
F-18E are outclassed by the J-11D.

J-11 D Can any explain in detail How it is equal or better than SU 35 ??? @Horus @Oscar @Manticore @fatman17

The question of which is "better" can't be rectified in a simple paragraph, or even article for that matter.

Here is tentative knowledge regarding the two systems:

Both the SU-35 and J-11D have the following:
- greater use of composites
- upgraded electronics
- upgraded engines
- possible datalink upgrades to support air-to-surface weaponry

What the J-11D has that Su-35 doesn't:
- AESA radar

What the Su-35 has that J-11D doesn't:
- PESA radar
- Thrust vectoring

Whether one is more fitting than the other for a certain requirement is up to the buyer and the circumstances under which that purchase precipitated.

J-11 D Can any explain in detail How it is equal or better than SU 35 ??? @Horus @Oscar @Manticore @fatman17
J-11D airframe is made from 3D printer and has significant composite which not only make it stronger, more lasting and lighter. Russia Su-35 airframe is still using oldies pressing method and welding method to make their airframe.

China newest datalink is comparable to US Link 16 which ensure faster processing and relaying of data and as for Russia, I have not heard of them having similar Link 16 system.

J-11D airframe is made from 3D printer and has significant composite which not only make it stronger, more lasting and lighter. Russia Su-35 airframe is still using oldies pressing method and welding method to make their airframe.

China newest datalink is comparable to US Link 16 which ensure faster processing and relaying of data and as for Russia, I have not heard of them having similar Link 16 system.

Where do you get your information?

3D printing is nothing new, China uses it as do others. One of the pictures in the link showed a picture of one fuselage bulkhead claiming it is the worlds largest:

View attachment 218084

It obviously has to be joined together to the rest of the fuselage probably with a rivet system. Similarly these next pictures are from a factory that produces SU-30s:

sukkkk.jpg
suuuu.jpg
uyuyy.jpg

Clearly Sukhoi uses machining for their aircraft components but not everything is machines, just like it is impossible for everything in Chinese aircraft to be machined. As for link 16, it's another overhyped datalink. SU-30's have been long known to transfer radar data to multiple other aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom