What's new

it is time we apologised to the ethnic Chinese in India

If we could live side by side for the past 5000 years without warring with each other, I dont see why we cant overcome 48 years of troubled relations.....

We need more of the below.....

How do you plan to go about learning the language buddy?....

You can start with the curses....thats how I venture into any new lingo....LOL!!!

Yes there has been a lot of mutual respect over the last 5000 years. :cheers:

Our religion for example (Buddhism) came from the Indian subcontinent... as well as Shaolin Kungfu, and even the name "China" is derived from Sanskrit. (The Chinese name for our country is 中国 which means Middle Kingdom, we don't call it China). So there has been a lot of cultural exchange in the past.

To learn a language I think the best thing is "Rosetta stone" software, it simulates the way a child learns a language for the first time. I think it's the best language learning tool out there...

I think there are also many Hindi classes available too in China, like the one below. :tup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually interested in learning how to speak Hindi or Urdu. I think they are beautiful languages. :tup:

I think it is very important for the future, that the people of Asia learn to cooperate with each other and respect each other. :cheers:
And I'm hoping for a stint in China after my current assignment...guess I'll finally get to see the forbidden city & the olympic staduim....:azn:

Our Govt should have apologized long back ago,Just because common Indian is not aware of 1962 or presence of ethnic Chinese community in Kolkata doesn't mean we should continue ignoring this issue.

And I'm hoping for a stint in China after my current assignment...guess I'll finally get to see the forbidden city & the olympic staduim....:azn:

Yeah buddy, the Forbidden city is nice. Tienanmen square is great too, despite what happened there in 1989.

If you go to Beijing a good phrase to learn is "Tài guì le" (too expensive) which is great when out shopping, because they will charge high prices to foreigners.

I'm from Hong Kong, and I get charged high prices in Beijing too... even though I am Chinese lol. :lol: Great city though, I love it!

Last edited:
Our Govt should have apologized long back ago,Just because common Indian is not aware of 1962 or presence of ethnic Chinese community in Kolkata doesn't mean we should continue ignoring this issue.

I don't think it's really necessary to apologise.

Bad things happen all over the world, here in China a lot of bad things happened too in the past 50 years.

Twenty million Chinese died to the Japanese army in WW2, and half a million of us were killed in race riots in Indonesia. Many more of us died due to our own failed economic policies in the 50's-70's.

In comparison, the story in the OP isn't really a big deal. Most people haven't even heard of it!

@Hafizzz

what's ur problem why u keep on posting old articles or reviving old dead threads????????????

If u have any personal complications then, You should consult doctor.

I don't think it's really necessary to apologise.

Bad things happen all over the world, here in China a lot of bad things happened too in the past 50 years.

Twenty million Chinese died to the Japanese army in WW2, and half a million of us were killed in race riots in Indonesia.

In comparison, the story in the OP isn't really a big deal. Most people haven't even heard of it.

I am stating from the perspective that,those ethnic Chinese were Indian citizens, I find it difficult to swallow the fact that my Govt had to displace these people as if they were refugees :angry:,refugees in ones own country :frown:, and creating situation for them to migrate away.

Its true that my Govt didn't commit any horrific crimes by slaughtering them or something,but still such treatment for one own countrymen is condemnable and regrettable.Also historically India has been a sanctuary for those who came here seeking asylum,Zoroastrians,Jews etc.

I just hate it when innocent minorities become victims of my Govt mistakes.However i'm happy despite such trouble some of them decided to stay.:smitten:

Last edited:
I just hate it when innocent minorities become victims of my Govt mistakes.However i'm happy despite such trouble some of them decided to stay.:smitten:

I agree too, I'm happy that many of them stayed. :thinktank:

It will foster increased cultural awareness from both sides, and give us a better understanding of each other. That is surely a good thing!!!

I am stating from the perspective that,those ethnic Chinese were Indian citizens, I find it difficult to swallow the fact that my Govt had to displace these people as if they were refugees :angry:,refugees in ones own country :frown:, and creating situation for them to migrate away.

1962 was a traumatic experience and the nation probably had to be comforted by scapegoating someone other than the army for losing the war. So it seems like they chose Nehru and Chinese people.

Yes there has been a lot of mutual respect over the last 5000 years. :cheers:

Our religion for example (Buddhism) came from the Indian subcontinent... as well as Shaolin Kungfu, and even the name "China" is derived from Sanskrit. (The Chinese name for our country is 中国 which means Middle Kingdom, we don't call it China). So there has been a lot of cultural exchange in the past.

To learn a language I think the best thing is "Rosetta stone" software, it simulates the way a child learns a language for the first time. I think it's the best language learning tool out there...

I think there are also many Hindi classes available too in China, like the one below. :tup:

YouTube - Chinese Students Learns Hindi

I agree...Rosetta Stone is by far the best tool....

Though I feel one cannot be truly fluent in a language until he speaks it with the natives of that language....

A lot of my friends have become quite fluent in Spanish and French having lived there for a year during their study abroad program....
Maybe you should come to India....if at all possible...

I feel the govts of India and China should promote tourism....esp since so many buddhists exist in China that would be very interested in visiting the Buddhist holy sites etc.....many like yourself....

PS: If you dont mind me asking, your English is quite good.....How did you learn English....I usually dont see many Chinese born and raised in China being so proficient.....

I feel the govts of India and China should promote tourism....esp since so many buddhists exist in China that would be very interested in visiting the Buddhist holy sites etc.....many like yourself....

PS: If you dont mind me asking, your English is quite good.....How did you learn English....I usually dont see many Chinese born and raised in China being so proficient.....

Yes my family is Buddhist, and thus we have a very good impression of India. You're also right that there are a lot of Buddhist cultural relics in India that could become a very big attraction for Chinese tourists. I think a lot of Chinese people want to visit India, but due to tension between the Chinese/Indian governments there aren't many direct flights. Hopefully that will change soon!

(I grew up in Hong Kong and went to an International school, that is why I have a good grasp of English. Thanks for asking though. :cheers:)

I actually have quite a few friends who speak Hindi so I can learn from them too. There are actually a LOT of Indian students in Hong Kong, usually the children of rich businessmen who come here to work for financial companies. In my class during high school at least a quarter of the students were South Asian, and around a quarter were Westerners/Japanese so it's a good mix. :thinktank:

Last edited:
Yes my family is Buddhist, and thus we have a very good impression of India. You're also right that there are a lot of Buddhist cultural relics in India that could become a very big attraction for Chinese tourists. I think a lot of Chinese people want to visit India, but due to tension between the Chinese/Indian governments there aren't many direct flights. Hopefully that will change soon!

(I grew up in Hong Kong and went to an International school, that is why I have a good grasp of English. Thanks for asking though. :cheers:)

I actually have quite a few friends who speak Hindi so I can learn from them too. There are actually a LOT of Indian students in Hong Kong, usually the children of rich businessmen who come here to work for financial companies. In my class during high school at least a quarter of the students were South Asian, and around a quarter were Westerners/Japanese so it's a good mix. :thinktank:

Hong-Kong and Singapore are the fastest growing city states (HK a city state since it largely functions outside the domain of CPC..Pls correct me if Im wrong)....with the best Per Capita GDPs in asia.....most cosmopolitan with tons of FDI.....

My parents have a home in Singapore and they do visit HK quite often....they only have the best to say about the city....esp the food...
I havent been there since I was 16 and hope to visit soon.....

My boarding school back home actually played against HK schools in Rugby and Cricket....the teams showed the cosmopolitan nature of the city with kids ranging from Chinese, Indians, Pakistanis, British and in some cases Fijians as welll......

Would love to find time to revisit!

Hong-Kong and Singapore are the fastest growing city states (HK a city state since it largely functions outside the domain of CPC..Pls correct me if Im wrong)....with the best Per Capita GDPs in asia.....most cosmopolitan with tons of FDI.....

My parents have a home in Singapore and they do visit HK quite often....they only have the best to say about the city....esp the food...
I havent been there since I was 16 and hope to visit soon.....

My boarding school back home actually played against HK schools in Rugby and Cricket....the teams showed the cosmopolitan nature of the city with kids ranging from Chinese, Indians, Pakistanis, British and in some cases Fijians as welll......

Would love to find time to revisit!

Thank you my friend. :cheers:

You're right, Hong Kong and Singapore are very racially diverse, I think that is one of the reasons we are doing well.

Singapore and Hong Kong show how well Chinese and Indian people (and others too) can get along with each other, and how successful they can be if they cooperate with each other.

Hopefully the future of Asia will be like this for all of us! As someone once said, "The only thing that will save humanity is cooperation".

P.S. You're right, Hong Kong has full autonomy and functions as a separate city-state. Politically and culturally though, we are a part of China. I like the arrangement!

Last edited:
"By 1981, Tangra's population had shrunk to 10,500. Now it has dwindled to 3,000 and is still falling."

Any body can tell why the democratic GOI's action/reaction on this?

Is it standard ethnic cleansing?

The remaining Chinese in India should leave India for China, HK, Taiwan, Singapore or Macau because who knows what will happen to them if another war breaks out between China and India or else they might end up....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom