What's new

ISRO Spy Case: HC Verdict a Severe Blow to State Government (and seculars)

ni8mare

Reaction score
Country
India
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM : Monday’s High Court verdict regarding the ISRO spy case has dealt a stinging blow to the UDF Government (secular party) which had chosen to close the file on a CBI recommendation for action against the three investigating police officers for “unprofessional conduct”.

And coming as it did on the 20th anniversary of the case, the verdict is a thumping yet painfully-delayed victory for former space scientist S Nambi Narayanan whose stand has now been doubly vindicated in a matter of days.

Only last week, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) had issued notices to Siby Mathews, K K Joshua and S Vijayan - the three police officers in question - as to why action should not be recommended against them.

Concluding that the spy case was a fabricated tale, the CBI had sent its report to the Kerala Government recommending disciplinary action against the three officers in April 1996. Siby Mathews, present State Chief Information Commissioner and then DIG Crime had headed the Special Investigation Team (SIT) which probed the case. Joshua was DSP, CB-CID, at the time and Vijayan, an Inspector with the Special Branch.

The file concerned came up before the then Chief Minister E K Nayanar in December 1997. The Home Department preferred to close the file, but Nayanar chose to wait. His argument was that the spy case was up before the Supreme Court and it was advisable to wait until the apex court gave its verdict.

The Supreme Court verdict came in 1998, acquitting all the accused. In the normal course of things, the spy case should have been a closed chapter then, and the state government should have acted upon the CBI recommendation. For 15 years, nothing happened.

Then, 43 days after it came to power, the present UDF Government - on June 29, 2011, issued orders closing the file by deciding not to take any action against the officers. The rationale; 15 years had passed and ‘’it is not proper or legal to take disciplinary action’’ after the lapse of such a long period of time. Nambi Narayanan moved the court against this decision. The hearing on it was completed on April 8, 2014, and judgment reserved. The verdict that has come six months later marks the end of one of several court battles fought by Nambi Narayanan in these 20 years.

It is significant that October 20, 2014, marks the 20th anniversary of the arrest of Mariam Rasheeda, a Maldivian woman, for overstaying her visa period. It was at the Vanchiyoor station that the arrest was registered on October 20, 1994. Over the next month, the arrest was linked to a spy ring and ISRO scientists Nambi Narayanan and D Sasikumaran were arrested on charges of leaking crucial ISRO data.

The case shattered lives and wrecked careers. Even the then Chief Minister K Karunakaran had been forced to step down, allegedly owing to a conspiracy within the Congress.
ISRO Spy Case: HC Verdict a Severe Blow to State Government -The New Indian Express

Good , there must be justice for the poor scientists and traitors need to be executed

Good , there must be justice for the poor scientists and traitors need to be executed

Hats off to Dr. Nambi Narayanan for pursuing this case against those monsters.

Put those morons behind bar for 100yrs for ruining life of a scientist who did nothing buy work his as$ of for his country.

I don't understand why the word 'secular' is being so wrongly used these days,synonymous to congress and everyone who is against BJP :hitwall:

I support Modi administration and like to see all religions equally, so what does that make me?
Agreed,there were few bad mangoes but it seems like everyone is being blamed,it being used every other day,even if it's meant to just troll. Let it go dil pe mat le :-)

Put those morons behind bar for 100yrs for ruining life of a scientist who did nothing buy work his as$ of for his country.

Agreed,there were few bad mangoes but it seems like everyone is being blamed,it being used every other day,even if it's meant to just troll. Let it go dil pe mat le :-)

No mate,it cannot be encouraged,it'll give a completely wrong picture for an outsider.

I don't understand why the word 'secular' is being so wrongly used these days,synonymous to congress and everyone who is against BJP :hitwall:

I support Modi administration and like to see all religions equally, so what does that make me?
Couldn't agree more. Many here now use the term "secular" as a derogatory term because of the Congress party but it was not their secular credentials that meant they let down their nation. There is nothing wrong with being secular in itself, in fact it is a most adorable trait. I would want all Indians to be secular especially the BJP.

Seriously @ni8mare, edit the title. This is getting really annoying now, to see people bashing "secularism" without any context whatsoever. WTF has secularism or communalism or islamism or hindutva got to do with this case?

I agree, it's upto @ni8mare now to edit the title,we can request him but not force him.
Couldn't agree more. Many here now use the term "secular" as a derogatory term because of the Congress party but it was not their secular credentials that meant they let down their nation. There is nothing wrong with being secular in itself, in fact it is a most adorable trait. I would want all Indians to be secular especially the BJP.

Its not just here, I am seeing this trend go up almost everywhere, especially in FB.

Its not just here, I am seeing this trend go up almost everywhere, especially in FB.
This felling of secularism has flown from FB to pdf,it remain the same for atleast a year or two,i guess it will take sometime for this issue to die down.

That makes you.. wait for it... 'SECULAR' in real sense of the word. But PDF secular in Congress secular, don't mind.

Nothing wrong with the title Most of the beneficiaries of this case are from a secular community (2% ).....

Liek some one told me....if you kept quiet when Congress was in office and did not speak up, you are guilty. Look at Shashi Tharoor? He gets removed from his seat because he agrees with some of Modi's policies. Instead of being united in India for once to help take us to the next level, Congress once again engages in BS tactics to slow down progress.

Congress never placed anyone outside of their family into a position of power. MMS was a puppet who did not speak up at all. I too support Modi and want equality....but ask yoursel aren't you brainwashed to think BJP is Anti Secular?

Congress'es secular credentials? Was it really a secular party or a party for only one community- the peacefuls?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom