What's new

Israel considers apologizing to Turkey

silko

Reaction score

Israeli defense officials have said they are considering apologizing to Turkey to revive trade and lucrative defense exports and to prevent possible lawsuits by Turkey against Israeli commandos, something the Israeli foreign minister earlier claimed would occur if Israel did apologize.

The Israeli Defense Ministry officials told Haaretz that they support the idea of offering an apology to Turkey to resolve the crisis that froze ties between the former allies, but recent failed attempts at reconciliation between the countries show little sign this could be possible.

Turkish-Israeli ties were badly strained last May after Israeli naval commandos killed nine Turkish civilians aboard the Mavi Marmara ship, which was carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza to breach Israel's naval blockade. Turkey demands an official apology and compensation to families of the victims. Israel says its soldiers acted in self-defense.

The primary body pushing the idea of reconciliation with Turkey is the Israeli Defense Ministry, which wants to revive billions of dollars in frozen arms deals and exports with Turkey. Defense Minister Ehud Barak repeatedly called on the Israeli side to display a resolute position on burying hostilities. Barak, who has been touted as the most pro-Turkish minister in the current Israeli coalition government, said earlier this month that “reconciliation with Turkey is drawing near” and that Israel is very interested in “putting the past behind us.”

But Israel's hawkish Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman is against the idea of apologizing to Turkey, claiming that this could lead to lawsuits against Israeli officials and commandos.

Haaretz reported on Sunday that discussions between Israeli defense and Justice Ministry officials over the past few weeks have suggested that a cautious apology could prevent possible lawsuits by Turkish organizations against Israel Defense Forces (IDF) officers and bring the affair to an end. The two countries have made bold moves in the past few weeks to normalize relations before the release of the UN's Palmer report on the Mavi Marmara incident. Israel and Turkey also planned to release a carefully-worded statement that would replace the report, which blames both Turkey and Israel for wrongdoing.

The draft report finds Israel's claim legitimate in attempting to stop the flotilla, but slams the Jewish state for using excessive force against civilians. The report was initially scheduled to be released in May but was repeatedly delayed to give the two countries a chance to make peace.

However, reconciliation attempts collapsed after Turkey said it will not back down from its request for an official apology. Israel has said apologizing to Turkey is “unacceptable.”

According to the Haaretz report, defense officials claim that Israel has a major stake in improving relations with Turkey in light of Turkey's standing in the region, its past economic relationship with Israel and the opportunity to renew defense-related exports to Turkey.

just some questions in general and some to the israelis.

what is pro-X? does that mean that you support them?

how does israelis in general look at lieberman? ehud barak tries to fix the friendship while lieberman says no! isn't it in israels interest to have a good realtion with turkey?

Damn right they wil apologize. They should have dont this a long time ago.

Hopefully this will all be over so the relationship will be stabile again
Regards:coffee:

Pro-"x" is they are in favor of "x".
It has been claimed multiple times but some low officers in some ministry or another that an apology is on the way but it`s pointless to regard each article as the truth.
If, for some odd reason, Israel does apologize, i will never vote for these parties again.

Those terrorists deserved to die and they are burning in hell as we speak.

That being said, i`m for restoring relations with Turkey but Erdogan and his party is way too Islamist and way too Pro-Iran to ever reconcile with them.
The weapons we could sell them today might be used against us tomorrow.

you can say erdogan is a backstabber if you want to, but using your weapons against you?

i am sure he wouldnt do that! and i am amazed you think turkey will go to war against israel!

why wouldn't you vote for likur(?) if they apologize? they do that because it is in interest of israel! it is god for you and us. it is a win-win situation! :tup:

Pro-"x" is they are in favor of "x".
It has been claimed multiple times but some low officers in some ministry or another that an apology is on the way but it`s pointless to regard each article as the truth.
If, for some odd reason, Israel does apologize, i will never vote for these parties again.

Those terrorists deserved to die and they are burning in hell as we speak.

That being said, i`m for restoring relations with Turkey but Erdogan and his party is way too Islamist and way too Pro-Iran to ever reconcile with them.

Simply because iran and turkey does not agree with the zionism movement doesnt make 'To' islamic, Before the Flotilla killing i had many discussions with Israelis which supported Erdogan for bringing to much more rights and democrasy to the country but now they see him as an Terrorist loving monster. Turkey and Iran are Definilty not the only one who disagree with israel there where protests from all over the world from Tokyo to New Delhi Till New york and many more, Does that make them 'To' islamic?. These people you call 'Terrorist' never harmed someone in there lives didnt know helping innocent civils was a crime.

Turkey is definily NOT supporting iran they only think that the country should have the right to produce nukes for defence mesures. If israel did it why couldnt they do it? Turkey is to secular...

you can say erdogan is a backstabber if you want to, but using your weapons against you?

i am sure he wouldnt do that! and i am amazed you think turkey will go to war against israel!

why wouldn't you vote for likur(?) if they apologize? they do that because it is in interest of israel! it is god for you and us. it is a win-win situation! :tup:

Erdogan already threatened to intervene on behalf of Lebanon if a third war erupted between Israel and Hezbollah. That was a threat to use force.
If we sell Turkey of today our sophisticated weapons then tomorrow they might be used against us, understand?
I wouldn`t vote for likud again because Turkey owes Israel an apology for sending on purpose this organization knowing just how violent they were, as the UN investigation found out, Erdogan`s government was directly involved.

It would be the end of Likud if they apologized.

Can NATO go Against Isreal in any Possible war With Turkey??? Becoz turkey is a founding member of Nato.

Can NATO go Against Isreal in any Possible war With Turkey??? Becoz turkey is a founding member of Nato.

i doubt so. they got uncle sam wathcing over them!

beside, israel has to attack turkey not turkey attack israel. if im not wrong that is what nato says. if israel is stupid enough to do that, wich i am sure they arent. i think eventually what will happen is TALK!

I still do not understand why you take these zionists seriously. They are totally fed up with brainwashing their kids from school and onwards. Israeli tourists around the world are known for their extreme bad behaviour and rudeness, and stealing hotel things. Israel has sadly become worse than Hitler's Germany. Experiencing genocide doesn't give you the permission to execute genocide on other people.

Trying to bring food and toys to poor children and families is terrorism while killing these people are heroic acts. Way to go Israel, way to go. You can convince yourselves of your "heroic" acts, but the world is watching a country slowly digging its own graves.

I still do not understand why you take these zionists seriously.
Yeah leave us alone and deal with ur own problems.

They are totally fed up with brainwashing their kids from school and onwards. Israeli tourists around the world are known for their extreme bad behaviour and rudeness, and stealing hotel things. Israel has sadly become worse than Hitler's Germany. Experiencing genocide doesn't give you the permission to execute genocide on other people.
We never done any genocide unlike u.

Trying to bring food and toys to poor children and families is terrorism while killing these people are heroic acts. Way to go Israel, way to go. You can convince yourselves of your "heroic" acts, but the world is watching a country slowly digging its own graves.
First of all Palestinians dont need any food and toys, its not Somalia.
Secondly there was not any food or toys on Marmara.

I still do not understand why you take these zionists seriously. They are totally fed up with brainwashing their kids from school and onwards. Israeli tourists around the world are known for their extreme bad behaviour and rudeness, and stealing hotel things. Israel has sadly become worse than Hitler's Germany. Experiencing genocide doesn't give you the permission to execute genocide on other people.

I dont know which Israelis you met..But they are one of the most chilled out people .

Met a bunch of them in Goa, Mumbai..
Two were starting their own image processing software firm..

Very friendly and ofcourse they loved smoking the greens :cheesy:

Had a great time with them..

And who gives you the right to determine what the Palestinians "need" or don't need. Israel only fights battles where the opponent is inferior and ill-equipped. It bombs cities with densely inhabited civilian populations. It works deceptively, even attacking the unarmed USS Liberty for hours and trying to blame it on the Egyptians, but when they fail to sink, they ridiculously claim that they did not know who's ship it was. Even though it was found that the American supplied aircraft they were were using to bomb, radioed home to confirm the target, as it was American.

A day will come when Israel and the zionists will be made to pay for their crimes against humanity. Even conscientous Jews protest against the zionist state.

Back
Top Bottom