What's new

Islamisation fears at top Pakistan university

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read whole Quran and orders of Hijab are mainly in Surah Noor and than Surah Al Ahzab are more orders

Brother jalabib doesn't means hijab,, But if someone does hijab its better for her but should not be forceful

Are you reminding us of BABERY MOSQUE?

i do not understand anything.

The structure was not a mosque nor its demolition has made any harm to Islam.

If you want to give a straight forward answer, You are well come.

i see how much regard you have for the law of the nation , you are right anyway ! however it does not represent me nor i support any such stupidity .. if he likes to call himself muslim he can do so i have no problems

Fair enough, I do however

As does our state

our laws

and the vast majority of our people

the campus is huge, the hostel and the facilities are distant.. 4 mosque are fine. I have been there. if it helps build another 4 mosques or convert the halls into makeshift prayer halls.. it only helps the people there to attend the prayers quickly and get back to work then fine.

You know well that there's no beef with the mosque itself , the problem like ever is misplaced priorities . We do not do what is necessary and a must but invest all money , time and energy at something which doesn't have a serious need .

Fair enough, I do however

As does our state

our laws

and the vast majority of our people
very dangerous precedence... imagine what will happen if the majority of the wold population declares the very existence of Muslim a danger to the humanity and peace of the world? and puts plans into action that make our genocide of Ahmedis & shias as a child play?

i do not understand anything.

The structure was not a mosque nor its demolition has made any harm to Islam.

If you want to give a straight forward answer, You are well come.
The babri masjid is more important than any temple in the whole sub continent

its destruction is a travesty any actions taken against any temples

back in late 90s, in Islamic University Islamabad the (self financed) students of the business administration arranged a seminar and invited speakers from different other universities including LUMS. the main campus (bank in the days... behind Faisal Mosque) was packed with students ..and the seminar started and as the female speaker from LUMS came to the podium..

the Jamat Islami students of other faculties that were not attendees or participants.. broke into the hall chanting and kicked the podium and started insulting and harassing the guests and organizers saying female speakers where banned and it was haram.
all the guests left in disgust and anguish and vowed to ban any correspondence with IIUI and completely disregard the existence of business faculty and students of IIUI due to this medieval mentality exhibited by jamat Islami thugs
the same thugs struck again when they destroyed the concert of Ibrar ul Haq and the business students had to suffer substantial amount of money because of those gun totting thugs who decided that concert couldnt take place without their prior permission.
the same thugs with such mentality now exist in our judiciary and civil administration, media and general public and the results are in front of you all to see, despite having suffered over 50,000 losses at the hands of TTP... the killers are still considered "brothers" and when the drones put an end to these serial killers... same Jamat Islami declares these human butchers as shahid.

how the heck they have so much power and money despite having such little presence in pakistani politics ? can they generate so much revenues from donors inside Pakistan or is it foreign funding ?

very dangerous precedence... imagine what will happen if the majority of the wold population declares the very existence of Muslim a danger to the humanity and peace of the world? and puts plans into action that make our genocide of Ahmedis & shias as a child play?

Won't that happen anyway before judgment day

Pervez HoodBouy is a good scientists and assets for us in universities but being a BAHAI practitioner his religious thoughts and anti Islam stance made him idiot.

last i heard pervez hoodbouy was a shia ! did he changed sects ?

You know well that there's no beef with the mosque itself , the problem like ever is misplaced priorities . We do not do what is necessary and a must but invest all money , time and energy at something which doesn't have a serious need .
let me quote an irrelevant example but related in the priority or "intention" sense

you have a group of laborers working on a dihari or "day" labor... they will continuously take breaks to take a pee and will when ever you blink you will see them absent from work because ...well its prayers and then pee and then tea or drink and then pee and then prayers.

same guys if paid on the progress of their work will forget all these breaks... so the priorities will change. religious obligation will take a back seat now because money is not secured. ( a lot to do with Niyaat.. Allah Doesnt need Mosques and prayers just for the name sake does He?)

who are they trying to fool? me or Allah?

Almighty has designed each individual as unique, even identical twins can be differentiated using natural differences. Why so many hidden identification marks have been kept by God in humans. It is very easy to see through his vision, as he knew that his creation will devised methods to conceal their identities. Face is the first identity so that people can differentiate between Friends & foes, mother/sister & wife.

In this modern time even the technology and tracking systems are dependent on superior identification methods like finger, lip , iris, DNA, etc. If God has embedded identity to such a deep extent to ensure that each individual is identified correctly how can he order for concealing the basic identification technique.

Hijab is, what is defined as minimum requirement for woman's attire during Hajj. Beyond that is people's own transgression in the religion. An an unnecessary misinterpretation of divine message of the holy book.

What @Zarvan refers to does not exist in Surah -e- Al Ahzab.

@Azlan Haider

last i heard pervez hoodbouy was a shia ! did he changed sects ?
He never was, maybe Ismaili

''At Quaid-i-Azam University there are four mosques, but still no bookshop"

Islamabad (AFP) - The Pakistan studies lecturer is in mid-flow when his students stand and rush for the door -- his class interrupted yet again by the call to prayer.

"They won't come back for at least 30 minutes and some of them even decide not to return to class," Sajjad Akhtar said, gathering his notes and sitting down to wait for his students to return.

At Quaid-i-Azam University, rated the best public university in Pakistan and the best Pakistani university in Asia, this is an everyday reality across all academic departments.

The university grants a 15-minute break for prayers but any student is allowed to get up as soon he hears the call to prayer in what critics call a chaotic interruption of academic life.

They say increased Islamisation in Pakistan's top teaching institutes and among the growing middle classes is helping to dumb down academic standards and restrict students' social life.

"At Quaid-i-Azam University there are four mosques, but still no bookshop," says Pervez Hoodbhoy, a nuclear physicist and one of Pakistan's most prominent academics who used to teach there.

Established in 1965 in the new federal capital Islamabad, it was considered a liberal campus until 1977 when controversial military ruler Zia-ul-Haq seized power.

During his 10-year rule, until his death in a plane crash in 1988, Zia embedded a conservative form of Islam into politics and affairs of state, and ushered in sharia law to run alongside the penal code.

Trade unions and student bodies were banned in educational institutions, and Arabic and Islamic studies were made mandatory for all students until university level.

Additional marks were given in exams to students who learned the Koran by heart. Over the subsequent generations, the trend has got deeper and more embedded.

"There are far fewer students today who can sing and dance, recite poetry, or who read novels than 20 years ago," Hoodbhoy told AFP.

"The university is very much like a school for older children, where rote-learning is considered education.

"There's no intellectual excitement, no feeling of discovery, and girls are mostly silent note-takers, you have to prod them to ask questions."

Strolling through the various departments, most female students wear the hijab -- the tight headscarf that hides all their hair and an import from the Middle East -- and none wear jeans.

None dare sit next to a man, a common sight at more liberal privately-run universities which have become the preserve of the elite as schools like Quaid-e-Azam cater to the lower and middle classes.

Though no specific place is allocated for men and women in the central cafeteria, both genders sit as far apart as possible.

Hifza Aftab, a hijab-wearing MBA student, says there is no such thing as a "liberal" girl at the university.

Any young woman who arrives on campus without wearing a hijab or the looser dupatta traditional to Pakistan quickly changes the look in two or three months, she says.

"A liberal girl would get notorious throughout the whole university," she said.

It was not always thus. Jamil Ahmed, who graduated in 1991, told AFP that in his days the hijab was rarely seen and male and female students would mingle.

Hasan Askari, a former professor at Punjab University, said students are becoming increasingly attached to religion and drifting away from rational thinking.

"The increasing Islamisation has affected quality of education as today, teachers stress more on conspiracy theories than logic," he said.

Last year a private school in Lahore dropped human reproduction from the biology syllabus after an outcry in the conservative Urdu-language press claiming it was "obscene".

Quaid-i-Azam University Vice Chancellor Masoom Yasinzai admitted academic standards had slipped over the years but insisted it was a country-wide problem and not to do with the growing focus on religion.

"Here at Quaid-i-Azam University, academic standards are not falling at an alarming rate," he said, adding that the expression "Islamisation" was being used out of context.

"We have given students the freedom to practise their religion and I think practising religion is one's individual choice."

With sectarianism and violence against minorities on the rise in Pakistan, some fear encouraging a religious mindset in universities is storing up problems for the future.

"If you have a very dominant view and very authoritarian worldview which this curriculum is teaching you, that 'You are Muslims, Islam is a good religion and other religions are not good,' that value system will create a social crisis in the society," education analyst Farzana Bari told AFP.

At one of the mosques on campus, a number of religious books are on display on the bookshelves and free for students to take away.

One of them, entitled "Put an end to obscenity" has pictures of a computer, CD player and a drum set on its cover with a red cross on top of each.

The book explains how playing music during marriage ceremonies affects "the next life" and how angels pour melted copper into the ear of anyone who listens to music or the female voice.

At the mosque, cleric Habib-u-Rehman Saleem says floods and earthquakes are God's punishment for gay sex.

"Males started to sleep with males and females started to sleep with females," he tells a group of male students.

"Some people are trying to create an environment like that of the West here, but God willing the students are religious and they will never let any such conspiracy succeed."

Touseef Ahmed Khan, chairman of the Federal Urdu University in Karachi, said he could see no change coming soon.

"A whole generation was Islamised and those who started their academic career during the Zia regime are now retiring from their jobs," he said.

"This phenomenon of Islamisation has been there for three decades, you cannot reverse it in one year -- it will take decades to do so."

Islamisation fears at top Pakistan university - Yahoo News

What is the meaning of best pakistani university in Asia?? :woot::woot::woot:

Is there any best pakistani university in Africa, Europe, America, Australia and Timbuktu??? :woot:

@Panther 57
Maudodi has interpreted this verse as making it compulsory to cover face for women
Almost all other major Sunni interpretations of this verse are different from that of mawdodi
So are the Shia interpretation

But for the Jamati Scum ,
Jo ameer sahib ne keh diya , wohi hukm e khuda !!
bloodie liars , bloodie idiots

@Panther 57
Maudodi has interpreted this verse as making it compulsory to cover face for women
Almost all other major Sunni interpretations of this verse are different from that of mawdodi
So are the Shia interpretation

But for the Jamati Scum ,
Jo ameer sahib ne keh diya , wohi hukm e khuda !!
bloodie liars , bloodie idiots
Here is the actual translation of the verse Sura-e-Al Ahzab 33:59. Please see the highlighted portion

O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused.

Here it is clear that the garment which will cover their body in such a fashion that it will not provoke men, yet be identified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom