What's new

Islamabad: The Centaurus Corporate Complex

Very naive. The government of Pakistan is not investing this money. Private enterprises are. Are you suggesting that real estate companies disband this project and distribute the money amongst the poor?

In the absence of your imaginary utopia, the next best thing is for private enterprise to spend money on projects that create construction, manufacturing and service jobs. How much of the cement and steel used in the $350M Centaurus will be flown in from Europe? None. It's all going to be done here in Pakistan.

How many Americans, Europeans or other non-Pakistanis will be employed at the hundreds of shops, offices and the hotel? A handful if any. All these jobs are for Pakistanis.

So I don't see what your gripe is. Unless you're a communist
. In which case... tough. :pakistan:

your a thinktank member, id have thought of all the people on this web you guys were decent enough to start an argument without attacking the guy and actually presenting logical arguments.

With that being said,

I am not against the project, nor do i say that it wont be useful...and i dont say this because of the points you made...All the advantages of this hotel are more symbolic than material, it will create an environment of renewed confidence within islamabad that will entice the foreign companies to a confident and luxurious business environment. But thats where it ends, Islamabad is already the clubhouse for the high and mighty of Pakistan, and this venture is nothing more than that.

In the absence of your imaginary utopia, the next best thing is for private enterprise to spend money on projects that create construction, manufacturing and service jobs. How much of the cement and steel used in the $350M Centaurus will be flown in from Europe? None. It's all going to be done here in Pakistan.

As i mentioned in my post, there are much bigger and better projects that these companies can be involved in that will actually help pakistan. Our transport system is in ruins, these companies could bring in Pakistan the strong infrastructure of roads that is vital to any country. It would create more jobs, help the farmers get their stuff to the markets on time, reduce their costs, increase pakistan's government awareness within their own country, would prove to be a much valuable asset to the defense infrastructe within the country... bring people together...and yes it will also use steel from Pakistan.

So I don't see what your gripe is. Unless you're a communist
. In which case... tough. :pakistan:[/QUOTE]

I've lived in Islamabad, have my house there..but the stark difference thats evident when you crossover from faizabad is too much...for twin cities they have nothing in common, and same goes for the rest of the cities in pakistan. Im not a communist nor a fanboy

your a thinktank member, id have thought of all the people on this web you guys were decent enough to start an argument without attacking the guy and actually presenting logical arguments.

Let's be fair here... I am not *attacking* anyone. The argument you were making is basically a communist argument, i.e. the government determines how all capital is spent and instead of private enterprise investing money as it deems fit, the money should be distributed to "feed" the poor. Look it up. This is a 100% communist argument. I genuinely think it is also naive. Why do you take this as a personal attack?

I am not against the project, nor do i say that it wont be useful...and i dont say this because of the points you made...All the advantages of this hotel are more symbolic than material, it will create an environment of renewed confidence within islamabad that will entice the foreign companies to a confident and luxurious business environment. But thats where it ends, Islamabad is already the clubhouse for the high and mighty of Pakistan, and this venture is nothing more than that.

So the 1+M people that live in Islamabad are all ****** rich/"high and mighty"?

Will the "renewed confidence" in Islamabad's "business environment" that you concede the Centaurus will undoubtedly create involve jobs for the elite alone? There won't be jobs created for middle class and lower-income folks?

If it pleases you, then yes, the Centaurus is nothing but a $350M "clubhouse" that will only employ billionaires - for the construction, upkeep, retail shops, hotel staff etc. All of them will be "high and mighty"...

As i mentioned in my post, there are much bigger and better projects that these companies can be involved in that will actually help pakistan. Our transport system is in ruins, these companies could bring in Pakistan the strong infrastructure of roads that is vital to any country. It would create more jobs, help the farmers get their stuff to the markets on time, reduce their costs, increase pakistan's government awareness within their own country, would prove to be a much valuable asset to the defense infrastructe within the country... bring people together...and yes it will also use steel from Pakistan.

I am sorry, but I'm clearly missing something. I don't get where you're coming from. Here is how I see it:

1. This is a commercial project
2. The companies involved *chose* to put their money in it - they were not forced to do so
3. All the companies involved were driven by financial incentives - as they should be in a capitalist society - and probably evaluated other alternatives for their dollars. They concluded that the Centaurus project was the best use of their money.

What, then, is your argument? That they should have used their money for something more useful? Ok. Well, they didn't. It doesn't make the Centaurus a waste, or as you put it, a "clubhouse".

Please read your original post which made me respond in the first place. You presented two stark options. Option 1: Centaurus Option 2: Feeding 7 million people. This is not only a false choice, but as I originally said, if you genuinely believe that feeding 7 million people with corporate investment dollars was even an option, also naive.

the amount of money they're putting in this thing can be used to bailout various little businesses that are struggling to stay afloat, those farmers who feed this nation...build the transport infrastructure, it'd bring way more jobs..this hotel at most will serve as a clubhouse for foreign diplomats and government crooks.

I am sure the government has other plans for that, but if I am not wrong, Pakistan's main income is its service sectors right?Maybe its trying to bring them back. Furthemore, with the bombings reducing gradually each day, its time Pakistan attract foreigners.

5903fe6b00d6ff5dd896bb141b6fa66c.jpg

9c9853fd05a091691c7c7868e0d017c9.jpg

f8d4744c62df0fedbcd793c8a870d790.jpg

Looking at the hotel building n helipad

283b3e0f9770bda5b0261b9b861c5b4f.jpg
wasnt it supposed to be the top of the tower

they havent even started that 7 Star hotel building. that little tiangle thing you are seeing is their marketing office.

they havent even started that 7 Star hotel building. that little tiangle thing you are seeing is their marketing office.

They have started it... end 2012 completion. They are working on piling right now. inshaAllah this will be a magnificent structure when it is completed... by far, the most remarkable modern structure in South Asia.

ISLAMABAD, Apr 1 (APP): Turkish President Abdullah Gul Thursday lauded the under-construction mixed-use project of The Centaurus and described it as a milestone towards economic prosperity of brother Islamic country.He expressed these views in a meeting with Sardar Tanvir Ilyas Khan, President Pak-Gulf Construction Limited, a joint venture of Al Tamimi (Saudi Arabia) and Sardar Builders (Pakistan) executing the multi-billion project, who called on the visiting President here, said a press release.

The Turkish President said it was pleasing that such a gigantic project is being executed with full pace in Pakistan and assured for all out cooperation for the interior designing of The Centaurus to be executed by a Turkish firm.
Pak-Gulf had signed an agreement with Turkish firm for interior designing the complex.

Abdullah Gul also offered Pak-Gulf to invest capital in Turkey as well and assured for maximum cooperation in this regard.

President Pak-Gulf thanked Turkish President and said his visit to Pakistan along with his business delegation will strengthen trade ties between two brotherly states.

He said Centaurus will be an icon in Islamabad and will usher a new era in economic sector, adding that the interest shown by Turkish President and business delegation is pleasant gesture for Pakistan’s business community.

The Complex comprises a five-storey shopping mall, two 28-storeys each luxurious apartment towers, a 28-storey corporate tower and a 37-storey seven star hotel.

PGCL has already engaged the world renowned companies Atkins as project designer, China State Construction Eng. Corp. main contractor for the construction. The complex is designed by Atkins, whose portfolio includes the Burj Al Arab and Jumeirah Beach Hotel in Dubai, and the Bahrain World Trade Center in Bahrain.

this project is taking forever to complete

this project is taking forever to complete

High rises do take some time because of various intervals in between in regards to planning, execution and finance. Only place where things were done quickly was Dubai but look what happened there.

Old case of more money than brains.

They have started it... end 2012 completion. They are working on piling right now. inshaAllah this will be a magnificent structure when it is completed... by far, the most remarkable modern structure in South Asia.

Hey man i was wondering if you had any info on the projects in karachi, especially the port tower ?

I wanted to make a thread about these projects but dont have any documents and what-not...do you have any sources ?

Hey man i was wondering if you had any info on the projects in karachi, especially the port tower ?

I wanted to make a thread about these projects but dont have any documents and what-not...do you have any sources ?

You can find all details of all these projects on this site

Mehfil Pakistan - SkyscraperCity

some updated pics from the same site

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom