What's new

Is the term "Gora" a racial slur or not?

TruthSeeker

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
United States
I see many members of the PDF use the term "gora" readily and often. Is this term not a racial slur? Who is a gora? Light-skinned people of European descent no matter where they were born? Or is the term used for a narrower group, i.e. only people of British descent (including Americans, Australians, Canadians, etc.)?

Gora is someone with white skin(Europeans/Caucasians/Westerners), and its definitely a racial slur.

If Kala(Black) is a racial slur, then Gora(white) is too. Unless people have somehow decided that Gora is better than Kala, hence not offensive.

I see many members of the PDF use the term "gora" readily and often. Is this term not a racial slur? Who is a gora? Light-skinned people of European descent no matter where they were born? Or is the term used for a narrower group, i.e. only people of British descent (including Americans, Australians, Canadians, etc.)?

its not a racial slur, as it has no negative connotation. Its more to denote 'them'.. as opposed to 'us'...
btw .. 'kala' means black people.. many use that word.. lol.

I consider neither as racial, the way they are used.

its not a racial slur, as it has no negative connotation. Its more to denote 'them'.. as opposed to 'us'...
btw .. 'kala' means black people.. many use that word.. lol.

I consider neither as racial, the way they are used.

It has negative connotations.

All in the context bro. All in the context.

Gora and desi and Kala

European origin, subcontinental, African

simple as that.

really? like how, in usage?

Gore log is used to stereotype people who drink a lot, or women who are "loose". The desi community in Oz uses Gora in that context too. So there is definitely some negative connotation.

Gora is someone with white skin but it was never intended as a racial slur ... its like calling someone Desi ...even chinki was not a racial slur until people made it one... People these days are searching for ways to get offended.. No offense meant at OP

Gore log is used to stereotype people who drink a lot, or women who are "loose". The desi community in Oz uses Gora in that context too. So there is definitely some negative connotation.

absolutely not.... GORA has no negative connotations ... please do not make something which is not a racial slur a racial slur....

@JonAsad How did you come to such a conclusion ? :disagree:

@TruthSeeker The direct translation of Gora is "Whites" .... Now you can use the word for racial discrimination but the word itself means nothing negative... it just simply denotes "WHites"...nothing more

Last edited by a moderator:
absolutely not.... GORA has no negative connotations ... please do not make something which is not a racial slur a racial slur....

Tell me why Gora is not a racial slur and Kala/Kalu is? Both refer to your skin color right?

Hmmm... I don' think so yara.... I call wifey Gori all the time out of love. :D

Btw, I am more "gora" than her! :P

Gora is someone with white skin(Europeans/Caucasians/Westerners), and its definitely a racial slur.

If Kala(Black) is a racial slur, then Gora(white) is too. Unless people have somehow decided that Gora is better than Kala, hence not offensive.

Is it? :what:

Sabb demagh ka fatoor hai. :D

Calling someone Gora is racial discrimination not a racial slur-

Tell me why Gora is not a racial slur and Kala/Kalu is? Both refer to your skin color right?

Direct translation of Gora is white...the word "white" is not an racial slur and so is not Gora.... Just because the word can be used with other words to form a racial slur does not make the word itself a racial one... It simply denotes skin color ...if you are considering a word which simply denotes skin color as racial slurs..you are just inventing new problems....

It should be simple racial slurs usually target an ethnicity-

Since "Gora" is no ethnicity it cant be a racial slur-

Look at it this way.....Even thou Pathans are fair skinned, we donot refer to them as Goras, because the word Gora is mostly used for westerners. As for Kala we dont use it to determine their nationality rather its mostly used to describe the complexion.

Back
Top Bottom