What's new

Is India’s Rise Actually Good for the West?

India’s leadership of the G20 this year is serving as a test of what kind of great power it aspires to be. Its record so far does little to inspire confidence that it can meaningfully contribute to a more peaceful and prosperous world. In fact, it gives much cause for concern.

The G20 foreign ministers’ talks in New Delhi earlier this month ended without a consensus statement on the Russia-Ukraine war. This was in contrast to the leaders’ summit in Bali, Indonesia last November, in which a joint communique recognized that “most members strongly condemned the war in Ukraine.”

India, a longtime ally of Russia now also courted by the West, continues to fence-sit on the question of Ukraine. Instead of leveraging its relationships for peace, it has supported Moscow’s war chest, ramping up imports of discounted Russian oil.

India has also used the moment to finger-point at Europe, rather than condemn Russian aggression. Last year, India’s foreign minister, Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, said, “Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe’s problems are the world’s problems.”

Jaishankar’s critique of Eurocentrism has merit. It’s also shared by many in the Global South, who bristle as the West has committed well over $100 billion in aid to Ukraine, but falls short in addressing challenges like climate change, the debt crisis, and food insecurity that are hurting poorer countries. Many of these problems have been exacerbated by the Russia-Ukraine war.

India has rightly put these issues on the G20 agenda this year. But it’s actually doing little more than paying lip service to them. The G20 finance ministers’ meeting last month concluded without any tangible commitments to debt-distressed countries like Sri Lanka.

In reality, India is using the G20 presidency and other global platforms to engage in sanctimonious posturing to gain space for the naked pursuit of its self-interest. It’s also leveraging them to project Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s image as a Hindu strongman at home.

India is no ally of the West or the Global South. It is a selective partner only out for itself. It seeks a multipolar world order in which the power of the West is diminished. Paradoxically, the U.S. and its allies are aiding India in reducing their global influence.

Policy elites in Washington and other Western capitals must come to terms with this reality. Naively, they see India’s rise as a world power as an indisputable good in countering China, so much that they ask for little in return. They give India the benefit of the doubt, even when it so brazenly pursues its interest at odds with their own.

If the behavior of India isn’t telling enough, its words are loud and clear. Jaishankar — India’s chief grand strategist — writes in his 2020 book that India should focus on “advancing national interests by identifying and exploiting opportunities created by global contradictions.” A top advisor to Modi, Jaishankar promotes a commitment-free foreign policy, arguing that India should leverage “competition to extract as much gains from as many ties as possible.” In other words, India is playing all sides against one another.

To its detriment, the West gives India easy wins without asking it to make real sacrifices or protect human rights. Its indulgence of India’s grandstanding and flaccid responses to taunting by Jaishankar and others also furthers Modi’s domestic Hindu nationalist agenda.

It allows Modi to not only project India as a vishwa guru or “world teacher,” but also furthers his own image as a mighty Hindu who is humbling the West and can act with impunity. Indeed, as civic and religious freedoms erode in India, Western governments balk at condemnation let alone punitive action.

The domestic symbolism of India’s global theatrics is lost on Western leaders. This is partly because the U.S. and other Western countries have failed to develop the institutional knowledge of the Hindutva (Hindu nationalist) ideology, lexicon, and networks. By contrast, there’s tremendous work on the Chinese Communist Party.

Case in point, when Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong cited India as a “civilizational power” this month, she inadvertently endorsed the BJP’s idea of a Hindu civilization or a “Hindu Rashtra,” in which Muslims are debased and erased.

Sadly, Western officials allow themselves to imagine a world in which the Hindutva ideology does not exist. They continue to proclaim that they are bound with India by “shared values,” as German Chancellor Olaf Scholz did last month, ignoring India’s very blatant authoritarian, majoritarian turn.

There is much to worry about when it comes to India’s future course. But the West is simply choosing to look away.

Source Link: https://globelynews.com/south-asia/is-indias-rise-actually-good-for-the-west/

In reality, India is using the G20 presidency and other global platforms to engage in sanctimonious posturing to gain space for the naked pursuit of its self-interest. It’s also leveraging them to project Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s image as a Hindu strongman at home.
OKAY
To its detriment, the West gives India easy wins without asking it to make real sacrifices or protect human rights.
RIGHT ( the kind of reforms/sacrifices west made China do while they were friends)
India’s grandstanding and flaccid responses to taunting by Jaishankar and others also furthers Modi’s domestic Hindu nationalist agenda.
OKAYYY
It allows Modi to not only project India as a vishwa guru
This is the real problem for the author

Short term, yes to deal with China, long term no!

Anyone who’s actually been around westerners will understand how they think. They believe they have a right to be on top and everyone else ranks below them. The rise of a stable country with a billion plus people puts incredible strain on the worlds resources. The West holds the power and controls the markets of commodity today. A rising, powerful India undermines that strategy as Indian politicians work to protect and build their country.
Having China and India both with a high percentage of the worlds population affects the west.

I can write an in-depth post here but those of us who grew up in the West and have been around westerners know and understand their mindsets and their strategy to divide and rule to ensure no nation can rival their dominance. It has served them well the last 500 years. As soon as China is neutralized, I can bet large sum of money that India will be next, and they will use Pakistan to again to bog India down, or exploit the ethnic and religious divide in india to accomplish this.

You Indians are too emotional, too much inferiority complex to deal with this unlike the Chinese or Pakistanis.

You still question why Pakistan gets all types of free goodies from the West. They don’t like us better, but understand the ROI of Pakistan to be used at a future date.

Just my honest analysis

Last edited:
Just like British far-right propped up RSS pre-partition and tried to subjugate Muslims, the west now is trying to bring indians as some kind of leader-of-the-global-south.
The history will repeat itself. Just like concept of akhand bharat was buried alive into the ground via the partition, the new akhand-bharat will be buried in himalayas, and indian ocean.

OKAY

RIGHT ( the kind of reforms/sacrifices west made China do while they were friends)

OKAYYY

This is the real problem for the author
Ahan, I see. The famous indian bloatedness.

Anyone who’s actually been around westerners will understand how they think. They believe they have a right to be on top and everyone else ranks below them. The rise of a stable country with a billion plus people puts incredible strain on the worlds resources. The West holds the power and controls the markets of commodity today. A rising, powerful India undermines that strategy as Indian politicians work to protect and build their country.
Having China and India both with a high percentage of the worlds population affects the west.

I can write an in-depth post here but those of us who grew up in the West and have been around westerners know and understand their mindsets and their strategy to divide and rule to ensure no nation can rival their dominance. It has served them well the last 500 years. As soon as China is neutralized, I can bet large sum of money that India will be next, and they will use Pakistan to again to bog India down, or exploit the ethnic and religious divide in india to accomplish this.

You Indians are too emotional, too much inferiority complex to deal with this unlike the Chinese or Pakistanis.

You still question why Pakistan gets all types of free goodies from the West. They don’t like us better, but understand the ROI of Pakistan to b used at a future date.

Just my honest analysis

Apart from your useless racist rant about India, which is quite expected from you, i agree rest of your analysis.

You are spot on. India will be encouraged fo China and Pakistan will follow as usual trajectory of being used bu West to ensure India is managed.

You still question why Pakistan gets all types of free goodies from the West. They don’t like us better, but understand the ROI of Pakistan to b used at a future date.

Just my honest analysis

Westerners think long term not short term. When I say long term I mean centuries, not decades. What most non-white people don't realize or don't want to realize is that westerners absolutely hate the idea of ANY non-white nation becoming too powerful to challenge them. Whites including russians ABSOLUTELY detest this. This is why there is so much anti-Chinese rhetoric from the west nowadays.

Apart from your useless racist rant about India

Is it really useless or racist though?
There’s documented examples of Indians obsession with Pakistan, Islam, Muslim and western women.

The inferiority complex is what drove you to test your nukes in 1998 because you wanted the world to respect you. Every interview your moronic FM gives, it screams “look at us, we’re big boys now!”

You can lie to me, but can you lie to yourself.

Find me any Islamic leader in the last 50 years that want to convert Ganges River as an Islamic site. You can’t! But you have Hindu leaders continually call for conquest of Muslim lands and religious site. You have Indians across SM rant and rant about Muslims, and the need to be taken serious.

I’m distracting this thread so this will be my last post on your countrymen’s behavior. You think you can play this “oh we’re harmless, so please let your guard down” charade, the reality is we will bury each and every one of you so far deep that you would need to reincarnate 50x to reach the surface in a human form.

India has a time period of 10-15 years to achieve some good things, but looks like we are determined to waste that opportunity. We have a young-ish population of median age of 28-29. This gives us a solid period of 10-15 years when we will have lots of new talents entering the job/occupation age. But we have not invested enough in education, and the population in general is becoming radicalised and divided. We waste money in cesspool like UP/Bihar who doesn't generate much income but keeps sucking all the money from the centre.
A few handful of good news like Apple manufacturing, Boeing service centre, Foxconn factory etc., are mere exceptions to the rule. The average graduate is not fit for job, nor the education is modern and practical. We still debate about whether Mughals are relevant in our history books instead of ensuring CAD/CAM are taught in every engineering college. The education and health sector are severely neglected. Irony is that idiots and retards like Smriti Irani were supposed to be education minister who has been faking her degree for years. Health ministry was led by harsh vardhan who is a bigger clown. The govt is more interested in research for benefits of cow dung.

West won't mind us because India is not a threat to west's order - they know we are totally depended on IT services export to US/EU. The moment India touches $10T GDP and starts becoming too big, the 1st victim will be our software services industry. I think we have to be careful from around 2035-ish period.

Westerners think long term not short term. When I say long term I mean centuries, not decades. What most non-white people don't realize or don't want to realize is that westerners absolutely hate the idea of ANY non-white nation becoming too powerful to challenge them. Whites including russians ABSOLUTELY detest this. This is why there is so much anti-Chinese rhetoric from the west nowadays.
And Pakistanis will be fighting against Chinese colonizers in Pakistan.

You still question why Pakistan gets all types of free goodies from the West. They don’t like us better, but understand the ROI of Pakistan to be used at a future date.

Just my honest analysis

You are right on except the Indian 'inferiority complex' part. Pakistan was able to once milk its alliance with the West from 1947 until into the 60s to make the fledgling new Pakistan more than survive. I think Indians would milk the West as much as they can and I think Indians know that if/when China is neutralized then a risen-India would be the next. And, yes, Pakistan has a central utility in that regard. BTW, sometimes I ponder who are the most important geopolitically-located countries in the world: Turkey, Iran or Pakistan. They all have very interesting neighborhoods.

The big threat for the West would be the Indian takeover of the American IT industry. While the manufacturing has become a Chinese dominance but that can be reverse fairly quickly. Not so with the IT industry. And one day India very well might use its IT dominance to keep the Americans from going too far.
Seems far-fetched? Perhaps right now, but I think very much possible in future.

India is too nationalistic to take up the required role and responsibility. She is simply not mature enough a nation.

The big threat for the West would be the Indian takeover of the American IT industry. While the manufacturing has become a Chinese dominance but that can be reverse fairly quickly. Not so with the IT industry. And one day India very well might use its IT
This is my beef with the Pakistan state. Our Chinese friends have a saying, for every crisis, there is an opportunity. Build up your IT and sell the idea to the US that we can be the backup in case anything “occurs” with the Indian IT industry. At the same time, hire some Telugu Hindus to start blowing themselves up in the center of their IT industry. Won’t be a first time a Hindu used suicide bombings to get their way. Hell, they invented this tactic in Sri Lanka in the 80s. 100% plausible deniability. If they dare try to start any issues, put your nukes on high alert with the local commander ability to launch.

Pus*y d*theads.

You are right on except the Indian 'inferiority complex' part. Pakistan was able to once milk its alliance with the West from 1947 until into the 60s to make the fledgling new Pakistan more than survive. I think Indians would milk the West as much as they can and I think Indians know that if/when China is neutralized then a risen-India would be the next. And, yes, Pakistan has a central utility in that regard. BTW, sometimes I ponder who are the most important geopolitically-located countries in the world: Turkey, Iran or Pakistan. They all have very interesting neighborhoods.

The big threat for the West would be the Indian takeover of the American IT industry. While the manufacturing has become a Chinese dominance but that can be reverse fairly quickly. Not so with the IT industry. And one day India very well might use its IT dominance to keep the Americans from going too far.
Seems far-fetched? Perhaps right now, but I think very much possible in future.

Pakistan should be a perfect example for South Asian countries including India while managing its relations with West..India can never attain the relationship of being an Israel or Ukraine for US…And i am sure BJP and our political circle are well aware about it…
Due to this reason, we keep our relationship with West on the basis where our interests merge with US…

India has a time period of 10-15 years to achieve some good things, but looks like we are determined to waste that opportunity. We have a young-ish population of median age of 28-29. This gives us a solid period of 10-15 years when we will have lots of new talents entering the job/occupation age. But we have not invested enough in education, and the population in general is becoming radicalised and divided. We waste money in cesspool like UP/Bihar who doesn't generate much income but keeps sucking all the money from the centre.
A few handful of good news like Apple manufacturing, Boeing service centre, Foxconn factory etc., are mere exceptions to the rule. The average graduate is not fit for job, nor the education is modern and practical. We still debate about whether Mughals are relevant in our history books instead of ensuring CAD/CAM are taught in every engineering college. The education and health sector are severely neglected. Irony is that idiots and retards like Smriti Irani were supposed to be education minister who has been faking her degree for years. Health ministry was led by harsh vardhan who is a bigger clown. The govt is more interested in research for benefits of cow dung.

West won't mind us because India is not a threat to west's order - they know we are totally depended on IT services export to US/EU. The moment India touches $10T GDP and starts becoming too big, the 1st victim will be our software services industry. I think we have to be careful from around 2035-ish period.

Democracy is not suitable for South Asia.
This comes from a person who love Scandinavian democracy, and it works effortlessly here because it suits the development and educational level of the grand society.

Democracy in South Asia actually help promote big mouthed politicians who are just good at fooling the vast uneducated peasant class.

While in places like China, Taiwan, Korea and Singapore you have strong meritocracy. East Asians generally are humble people who like to get things done. South Asians are braggarts who like to dream of lofty palaces but dont like to work for it. Not in a low-profile long perspective intelligent way anyway.

The solution?
A massive cultural revolution a la Chinese.
It means short term death and destruction but the Phoenix will arise from its ashes, and it will be a new society with far stronger ingredients.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom