What's new

Iraqi who threw shoes at Bush to be released next month

Oh puleezze ..Saddam was a maniac and the US and its allies did the region a great favour by removing that tyrant. Bush's global economic policies were not the best of any US administration but his move to liberate the peoples of Afghanistan and Iraq will go do well in history.

Indeed..it'll do well.Putting 2 countries in civil war is indeed great for freedom :lol: .

Indeed..it'll do well.Putting 2 countries in civil war is indeed great for freedom

Ja if you look at the moronic leadership those countries had, he sure will go down well in history. Ummm Taliban and Saddam made every sensible person in the globe go "whoooaa"

Well, Iraq was illegal war..It was not sanctioned by UN unlike Afghanistan War.Besides, if you compare the current regime with Saddam then what difference did US invasion made?

Oh puleezze ..Saddam was a maniac and the US and its allies did the region a great favour by removing that tyrant. Bush's global economic policies were not the best of any US administration but his move to liberate the peoples of Afghanistan and Iraq will go do well in history.

same maniac was supported by US. add another maniac in your list BUSH.

@gambit

I was actually supportive of the War in Afghanistan, i do believe it was a justified war. Any place or anyone that protects Al-Qaeda members is/are a threat to society and the world, so getting rid of the Taliban was rightfully called for, in my opinion and i think the world pretty much were ready to back the Nato/US forces for this war. The Iraq War on the other hand was just absolutely uncalled for, the fact that people still believe that Saddam possessed Weapons of Mass Destruction after so many years is just being dishonest with yourself.

One of the best Oscar nominated documentary's, No End is Sight highlights some of the problems the Bush/Cheney administration faced before they even went inside Iraq. This is not a liberal hippie Michael Moore documentary but a proper well made, well thought out film with interviews from all the major players.

Now i do agree with Gambit about the point he made that democracy comes from within and people need to be given that option but if they don't want to accept it, than there is no point in pressurizing those people. There is no doubt that for places like Iraq and majority of the Muslim countries where people are still new to the concept of what Civil liberties and what freedom of speech really are. Its not something you can impose on people. Authoritarianism and looking towards a higher power for answers has pretty much been a cultural phenomenon in south east Asia and far east Asia including Thailand, Philippines and until recently Japan. You just can't expect people to change their ways overnight. Putting a stamp on the paper with your thumb filled with ink is nothing more than a good photo-op, it doesn't change the fundamental beliefs or culture of that society.

What you see in the Western World today has been the result of revolutions and uprising against monarchy's, fascism, religious clergy over the past hundreds of years. Our part of the world didn't really go through as much violence during the past 1000 years as Europe and Western Asia to bring about a complete revolution to our way of life, some people are just fine and happy with their archaic beliefs and traditions. They just think of Globalization as a threat to their culture and traditions and don't want to be a part of it. Personally i love change and diversity but who am i to say what people want or prefer.

Yes we had kings, monarchs, dictators and have had our shares of problems as well but people generally went along with their lives and stuck to their culture and old age traditions which have barely evolved to this day so going in guns blazing to promote democracy and your way of life will never work anywhere. You can not change peoples Faith and peoples culture and traditions instantly, these are things that take time and come from the grass roots.

@afriend

Now with the quite irrelevant post above lets get back to the topic. Majority of the killing in Iraq have not been caused by US Military Personnel rather has been the result of sectarian wars between the Sunni's and the Shia's duking amongst themselves. More than Half the casualties occurred from the Shia/Sunni Conflict which was basically a civil war. Don't blame the Americans in everything that happens in Iraq, though this civil war would not have occurred if they didn't attack Iraq in the first place but to blame America for the Shia's killing the Sunni's and vice versa is being unfair.

Most American military personnel don't go about killing people just for the heck of it, they are accountable to higher authority and are trialed in court for their actions. Just because a few of them act horrendously doesn't mean all military personel act the same way. With that being said first tell the Shia leaders who vowed to fight the scourge of sectarianism against Sunni's and vice versa. More civilians have died at the hands of these sectarian wars. The Shia and Sunni and other sectarian differences among Muslims are all man-made and they go against the creed of faith and the spirit of the divine message.

I have a documentary for you as well.. I suggest you watch it its an excellent film called Iraq in Fragments, it really goes deep to show how diverse iraq is in terms of its people and how they simply don't get along, you have the Shia's with their problems the Sunni's with their problems and the Kurds who want their land back. Its a very complex situation thats quiet hard to understand and grasp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom