What's new

Iranian Space program

You tell me.
You shared the news, I asked you. If you don't know, you can say that. We have not seen any private SLVs in Iran so it is currently unclear how any private company would place something into orbit. But hopefully these companies have been working on SLVs and can reveal it in due course.

You shared the news, I asked you. If you don't know, you can say that. We have not seen any private SLVs in Iran so it is currently unclear how any private company would place something into orbit. But hopefully these companies have been working on SLVs and can reveal it in due course.
I think the way it's works with private sector is that they build the sat on private funds , ISA will launch the sat for them and buy the sat services from the private company..photos, comms relays etc...good arrangement..the SLV will remain in Government/ military domain for now.

I think the way it's works with private sector is that they build the sat on private funds , ISA will launch the sat for them and buy the sat services from the private company..photos, comms relays etc...good arrangement..the SLV will remain in Government/ military domain for now.
I thought the shared tweet said the private company would put the satellites into orbit. But what you say makes more sense (even though Iran already has a backlog of satellites that need to be launched).

the private company would put the satellites into orbit.
My interpretation:
Private company may decide to put the sat into orbit using Russian or Indian or who ever they decide which has most reliable and economical SL services...
Actually if this interpretation is correct it creates some fire under ISA to have reliable launch servics.

I respect the Iranians, they have some brilliant minded people who takes science seriously. Had listened to some presentations but unfortunately they had got out of their country and works in the west funded by the foreign government.

I respect the Iranians, they have some brilliant minded people who takes science seriously. Had listened to some presentations but unfortunately they had got out of their country and works in the west funded by the foreign government.
The brain drain problem applies to whole Asia but Iran is one of the most impacted, with things such as USA/EU and even states such as UAE (for southern Asia and West Asia) making it easy for Russian, Iranian, Chinese, Indian etc that have qualifications to apply for a work visa. I'm pretty sure all those nationalities works for US military programs/R&D etc

Sanctions>easy visa rights for workforce and brains

If people with qualifications and skill wants to work outside or has an opportunity to work outside of Iran whether it has a better pay or more rights, its their strict right, no one can do anything about their decision.

The brain drain problem applies to whole Asia but Iran is one of the most impacted, with things such as USA/EU and even states such as UAE (for southern Asia and West Asia) making it easy for Russian, Iranian, Chinese, Indian etc that have qualifications to apply for a work visa. I'm pretty sure all those nationalities works for US military programs/R&D etc

Sanctions>easy visa rights for workforce and brains

If people with qualifications and skill wants to work outside or has an opportunity to work outside of Iran whether it has a better pay or more rights, its their strict right, no one can do anything about their decision.
The ‘brains’ that left IRI could do without. Just like it does today. The train has left the station for those who left, think of leaving, and can’t leave yet have little to give other than nagging and asking for handouts.

The ‘brains’ that left IRI could do without. Just like it does today. The train has left the station for those who left, think of leaving, and can’t leave yet have little to give other than nagging and asking for handouts.
This line of thinking is extremely ignorant and harmful. Iran lost so many of its best minds who went to amass skills and wealth abroad. They should be encouraged to return and invest in Iran, not shunned. You are clueless.

Private space launch companies is very good news but the update seems a bit misleading - what SLV does this company plan to use?

you are confusing space based services to only mean SLV. There are companies that make satellites for private sector there are companies that make the delivery mechanism for satellite and everything in between. I'm speaking in generality to the global private space based race, but it applies to Iran’s Silicon Valley as well.

It appears Omidfaza is a company that provides satellite services (building and consulting) to private sector.

In iran no private sector company is allowed to make rockets for obvious reasons. You think IRGC is gonna deliver rocket fuel or other precursors to a private company? Lol. Great way to have Mossad spies build bombs in Iran easier.

My interpretation:
Private company may decide to put the sat into orbit using Russian or Indian or who ever they decide which has most reliable and economical SL services...
Actually if this interpretation is correct it creates some fire under ISA to have reliable launch servics.

0% chance of India launching even an Iranian pencil into space.

Look at Chabahar. Shah wanted to build it 1970’s. We gave it to India to build what 2 decades ago? It’s a joke to this day.

So when is the next launch? Should be consider Simorgh as a retired SLV? No launch since December 2021!

And what happened to Zuljanah SLV? Last flight test was in June 2022!

So when is the next launch? Should be consider Simorgh as a retired SLV? No launch since December 2021!

Relax, our Korean friend

Civilian program is dead, IRGC program is all that matters now. 2 more launches by the end of the year (March 2024). One of them will be an orbital launch attempt of Qaem-100

Simorgh is retired. It’s being replaced by Sarir which is Simorgh with a redesigned second stage. The main problem with all Iranian SLVs but Simorgh and Safir in particular was they were very weak and payloads (when succesfully launched) would fail to gain enough velocity for insertion in proper orbit.

As for Zoljanah, the jury is out on that one.

Qaem-100/150 is a weak SLV but can at least put something into orbit.

The whole program (both IRGC and ISA) sucks to be honest. Started pre 2008 and after 15 years still not even able to reach GEO or even a high payload LEO.

The results so far would be “decent” if the year was 1970. But in 2023 with such advancement in AI, rocket technology, 3D printing, and advanced computer and electronics it’s abysmal.

Qaem-100/150 is a weak SLV but can at least put something into orbit.
So far Qaem-100 didn't put anything in orbit. And I don't think Qaem-105 is "weak". 200kg payload to LEO in a mobile and compact (and very advanced) design is a very important SLV for Iran

The whole program (both IRGC and ISA) sucks to be honest.
No doubt ISA's program has been a failure after a promising first few years (9th country to independently place satellite into orbit, sent monkeys to space and recovered them alive, 4/6 launch success rate for Safir SLV, but all downhill since then).

IRGC program is not a failure:

2020: First launch of Qased SLV (25-40kg to LEO, 3/3 orbital launch success rate so far)
2023/24 (TBC): First successful orbital launch of Qaem-100 (80kg to LEO, 0/1 orbital launch success rate so far)
2024/25 (TBC): First successful orbital launch of Qaem-105 (200kg to LEO)

This is still a plausible timeline and very impressive if achieved considering IRGC only entered the space game in 2020.

They initially promised a first test launch of Qaem-105 by March 2024 - given the recent orbital launch failure of Qaem-100 it's likely this was pushed back but if the upcoming Qaem-100 orbital launch (recently promised by March 2024) is successful then I think we will also see a Qaem-105 (test) launch in 2024. Qaem-100 --> Qaem-105 should not be a huge challenge given the modular design (only difference is adding a second Raafe stage).

Zoljanah uses older tech but has some promise - the first/second stage engines are even more powerful than Raafe. ISA should focus on Zoljanah and IRGC on Qaem-105 - they should both reach 200kg payload to LEO capability around c. 2024-2026.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom