What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

I hate that they put Helipads on this;

Fl5BQRlWYAQHeUL

Why not give it more firepower capacity instead?
threy can give it more fire power if they design vertical launched cruise missile

Helipad provides for such capabilities as:

1. Search and rescue
2. Anti-submarine warfare
3. Anti-ship warfare
4. Close air support
5. Troop transportation
6. Cargo transportation
7. Reconnaissance and surveillance
And much more by both helicopters or drones

So it's not just for decor 🤔

You want the ship to be blind? Then go ahead and remove the helipad.
If you want to suicide your helicopter crew, you can continue with this way of thinking.

Before the helicopter discovers a ship it is already dead. We have other ships, like UAV launching ship that should be the eyes of the whole fleet. Not every ship needs to play every role by themeslves.

Helipad provides for such capabilities as:

1. Search and rescue
2. Anti-submarine warfare
3. Anti-ship warfare
4. Close air support
5. Troop transportation
6. Cargo transportation
7. Reconnaissance and surveillance
And much more by both helicopters or drones

So it's not just for decor 🤔
The first three are the only valid applications & only the first option is the one it can preform well, non of the helicopters in service are effective at anti-sub or anti0ship warfare.

A single bell helicopter can't do close air support and barely can load up a few men, and cargo.

for that helicopter actually don't need to land

never a good idea
So instead of ‘gibberish such as I don’t like it’. Please provide thoughts on why the engineers and tacticians have decided to install it. Let’s hear their arguments and then the discussion will have validity and depth. I trust their decisions obviously.

So instead of ‘gibberish such as I don’t like it’. Please provide thoughts on why the engineers and tacticians have decided to install it. Let’s hear their arguments and then the discussion will have validity and depth. I trust their decisions obviously.
Its not Good Idea to use helicopter for CAS in see because there is no place to hide and operating helicopter relay heavily on that , the helicopter if appropriately armed is good against small boat , but a question who except IRGC use helicopter in this nook of the wood ? Somalia pirates ? will shahid Soleymani corvete ever be used against them ?
helicopter can be used in anti submarine warfare , yes but a better use for them is countering sea mines .
search and rescue is a valid use for helicopters , but will it be part of the mission for this ship ? you must ask it from IRGC , that role is usually part of coastal guard duties
Anti ship warfare , i seriously suggest don't do that unless its against smaller one that don't have potent air defense or sonar
Reconnaissance and surveillance, well i can understand it in case of capital ships (perhaps its a capital ship for IRGC) then that make sense specially they are building smaller ones called Shahid Mohandess which have no helicopter nut twice missile . and if i recall correctly they want to build 2 of those type for each of this type . so that one probably provide the main anti surface capability and this one provide air defense and what helicopters are supposed to do.
Iran-New-Catamaran-June2022.jpg

A UAV or UCAV can do the job of Iran’s ancient helicopters. No real need for helicopter at this point. And submarine detection is a joke since PG is too shallow for massive US subs they literally have to float at surface when they pass thru.

A rail launched S-129 or M-5 or RQ-170 variant can do do much better work and firepower than these ancient MI or Bell helicopters that any opposing navy would easily spot on radar.

You have to remember Iran’s helicopters have very limited defense capabilities. Look at how easily one of the best attack helicopters in the world (Russian Ka Aligator) is getting downed by manpads in Ukraine. Imagine what would happen to an Iranian Bell or MI with very little counter defense measures when a navy ship launches an AD missile at it from 50KM away.

These helipads should be transitioned to UAV launch centers. Or a national project for a “stealth” designed chopper should be implemented. But we all know the limitations Iran has in this field specifically engine/propulsion.

Most important function of a helicopter on a ship is Anti submarine warfare..Imagine reports of an Israeli sub sighting in the Iranian waters arrives at HQ..A helicopter on the nearest ship deck will be able to cover 100 km radius from the ship..fly to the last know coordinate drop the sonobuoys ....triangulate and drop the Torpedo (s)..same goes for small manned or unmanned US submersibles..if the target is reported fast action is required and the target is going to evade ..
Watch the first 10 min of the movie "wolf's call"..it actually shows Iranian warship going for the French sub with her helicopter..Netflix movie..

Last edited:
Most important function of a helicopter on a ship is Anti submarine warfare..Imagine reports of an Israeli sub sighting in the Iranian waters arrives at HQ..A helicopter on the nearest ship deck will be able to cover 100 km radius from the ship..fly to the last know coordinate drop the sonobuoys ....triangulate and drop the Torpedo (s)..same goes for small manned or unmanned US submersibles..if the target is reported fast action is required and the target is going to evade ..
Watch the first 10 min of the movie "wolf's call"..it actually shows Iranian warship going for the French sub with her helicopter..Netflix movie..
Dolphin (Israeli submarine) cannot operate in PG nor does it need to with Jericho missiles range.

Any Iranian surface vessel leaving from PG to Indian Ocean for sub hunting is dead in a war.

True enough,and well said!.
If iran is to develop a credible blue water navy then it must have dedicated anti submarine warfare capabilities as well as credible naval air defence capabilities,either in the form of naval sams or better yet dedicated anti air warships.
Another potential threat where helicopters are of vital use is for the detection and destruction of naval mines,and this one has the potential to pose an even greater threat to irans tankers in the persian gulf than it does its blue water warships in the indian ocean,red sea and beyond
But I think that the navy has to both modernise and rationalise its entire helo fleet,which at the moment is a bit of a literal mish-mash of increasingly elderly western types and slightly newer russian ones.
A good starting choice for the navy would be something like the kamov ka-27,which is not only a far more compact helicopter than machines like the ab212,but also has much,much greater carrying capacity as well.
One of the big design flaws in the mouge class was the failure to include a helo hanger,either of the permanent type or even of the retractable type,which were in fact fitted to 2 of the old ww2 era destroyers that the us supplied to the vassal pahlavite navy.
Another interesting possibility to also think about,is the potential for the future naval drone carrier, currently under construction,to also be used as an amphibious warfare ship complete with transport,attack and gunship helos.One could imagine it operating mil-38s as transports,with ka-52s or mil-28s as attack helos and mil-35s as heavy gunships,plus of course a sh!tload of ucavs backing those up.
Ultimately tho`,its not just irans naval rotary wing air fleet that badly needs to be thoroughly modernised and rationalised,but also its entire fixed wing air fleet as well,hopefully the su35s will be merely just the first in a much larger series of purchases.

The only thing I can see, for adding a Helicopter pad to this class ship is they have future plans to add Newer Russian naval helicopters to their fleet, and want their platforms to accommodate them. You can acquire helicopters at anytime, but building a new ship takes alot of time.
Its not Good Idea to use helicopter for CAS in see because there is no place to hide and operating helicopter relay heavily on that , the helicopter if appropriately armed is good against small boat , but a question who except IRGC use helicopter in this nook of the wood ? Somalia pirates ? will shahid Soleymani corvete ever be used against them ?
helicopter can be used in anti submarine warfare , yes but a better use for them is countering sea mines .
search and rescue is a valid use for helicopters , but will it be part of the mission for this ship ? you must ask it from IRGC , that role is usually part of coastal guard duties
Anti ship warfare , i seriously suggest don't do that unless its against smaller one that don't have potent air defense or sonar
Reconnaissance and surveillance, well i can understand it in case of capital ships (perhaps its a capital ship for IRGC) then that make sense specially they are building smaller ones called Shahid Mohandess which have no helicopter nut twice missile . and if i recall correctly they want to build 2 of those type for each of this type . so that one probably provide the main anti surface capability and this one provide air defense and what helicopters are supposed to do.
Iran-New-Catamaran-June2022.jpg
What is this new Catamaran? Never seen this before. Where did you get this image from?

Edit: Found it.

Impressed at the pace of developments here.

These ships usually operate in a fleet, so their would be accompanying surface vessel with active Air defense.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom