What's new

Iranian Food...

What are these Zereshk made of? Are these available in Pakistan any where ???

What are these Zereshk made of? Are these available in Pakistan any where ???

Variations of rice, chicken and berries. It is for sure to be on the menu of any Iranian restaurant in Pakistan. I personally do not know of any hence I can't guide you further.

I only knew rice kebab and kebab rice as Irani food. :(

Hi, pasban,
I love that open air food place in north Tehran... up on the hill.
I remember where are those sweet and sour berry and plum jam (chutney)
More, Iran is really blessed with all sort of fruits.
Most funny food in tehran is perhaps that 10 inches high solid icecream in north Tehran.
That is real **** you are eating in the name of icecream.

Salam,

I'm not sure what place you are referring to. The north of Tehran is the Shemiran locality which has many different places to eat. Indeed, there are several varieties of fruits available in Iran but sadly with the notable exception of the banana, which has to be imported and so is priced higher.

The ice cream is a delight!

oay bus kar day zalima , roza hara ho gaya ... ahmed is right pasban is on torture tour at pdf

o' pra tusii sabar karo :tongue:

(I hope that was right. I have lived in Lahore but could never quiet master the rhythmical end-notes on the words as distinct from Urdu, which I do speak fluently but Punjabi, no. P.S: Would it be "sabar rakho" or "sabar karo")

All the food looks great, I want some now. I have never eaten Iranian food or Pakistani, Afghan, etc. I really want to try some now lol. Turkish food is really good too.

jalebi and fereni are not of indian origin ! nooooooooooo.

those are the only 2 things i am familiar with on this menu actually :)

Variations of rice, chicken and berries. It is for sure to be on the menu of any Iranian restaurant in Pakistan. I personally do not know of any hence I can't guide you further.

Actually I am only asking about the berries. The rest i have already eaten at an Iranian restaurant named Omar Khayyam in Blue Area Islamabad. Loved the food, MashaAllah especially the initial aroma.

Actually I am only asking about the berries. The rest i have already eaten at an Iranian restaurant named Omar Khayyam in Blue Area Islamabad. Loved the food, MashaAllah especially the initial aroma.

Actually, the zereshk (زرشک) is the berry. It is the dried fruit of Berberis vulgaris, which is widely cultivated in Iran. Iran is the largest producer of zereshk and saffron in the world. It is used in many different dishes especially those involving chicken. When made with rice, it is called zereshk polo and with the addition of chicken, it becomes zereshk polo morg. There are other zereshk products in Iran as well including jams and juices.

EDIT: Also, thank you for pointing out a restaurant. I spent some days in Islamabad. I was living in this district called Block F, which is a moments drive to the Blue Area. I had asked my hosts about any Iranian restaurant and they said they did not know of any. So I must ask you, is this place recent?

Last edited:
Pakistani food is very much similar, btw - some even have similar sounding names.

Really? Not from what i've seen. I've passed through Pakistani communities in England before like in Luton and some place in East London. Browsed around places to eat and tried out some of the food in these places and it was all the same as you'd find at an Indian joint. Did not find any similarities to Iranian food. The Indian/Pakistani kebabs are not similar at all and neither do i find any similarity between Iranian khoreshts and the 'closest' thing i guess you guys might have to that, which are curries. Even your bread is quite different, the only similarity being that Indians/Pakistanis call their bread 'naan' too.

I did however like these South Asian style lamb-chops i tried once. Dry, but enjoyable. Had this grilled-charcoal taste to them.

ای ایران;1085591 said:
Really? Not from what i've seen. I've passed through Pakistani communities in England before like in Luton and some place in East London. Browsed around places to eat and tried out some of the food in these places and it was all the same as you'd find at an Indian joint. Did not find any similarities to Iranian food. The Indian/Pakistani kebabs are not similar at all and neither do i find any similarity between Iranian khoreshts and the 'closest' thing i guess you guys might have to that, which are curries. Even your bread is quite different, the only similarity being that Indians/Pakistanis call their bread 'naan' too.

I did however like these South Asian style lamb-chops i tried once. Dry, but enjoyable. Had this grilled-charcoal taste to them.

Most Iranian food is really bland and without flavor. On the other hand mediterranean food is really nice. Just my preference. Yeah you are right, Pakistani food has very little in common with Iranian food, except perhaps the food of Balochistan and NWFP which I have heard is less spicy.

Once I had Gormeh Sabzi and the smell of that food reeks in your clothes. :rolleyes:

Most Iranian food is really bland and without flavor. On the other hand mediterranean food is really nice. Just my preference. Yeah you are right, Pakistani food has very little in common with Iranian food, except perhaps the food of Balochistan and NWFP which I have heard is less spicy.

Are you mad? All Iranian dishes have a distinct flavour to them. If you think Spanish food is overall tastier then you MUST be crazy. Greek food is actually close to Iranian cuisine. Italian is different, but just as good.

Anyway. If you are used to eating spicy food all the time, then i can kind of understand why you'd consider Iranian food 'bland' since we like to use herbs and stuff, and leave out all that spicy stuff that kills off any taste a dish might have, along with your taste-buds too.

Once I had Gormeh Sabzi and the smell of that food reeks in your clothes. :rolleyes:

If it spills on you then yeah, i can imagine..

ای ایران;1085604 said:
Are you mad? All Iranian dishes have a distinct flavour to them. If you think Spanish food is overall tastier then you MUST be crazy. Greek food is actually close to Iranian cuisine. Italian is different, but just as good.

Anyway. If you are used to eating spicy food all the time, then i can kind of understand why you'd consider Iranian food 'bland' since we like to use herbs and stuff, and leave out all that spicy stuff that kills off any taste a dish might have, along with your taste-buds too.

If it spills on you then yeah, i can imagine..

Why would I be mad? Check some of my previous posts you will get some idea. Many Pakistani and Indian members here call me Iranian or Iranian wannabe. :lol: I am great admirer of Iranian culture, but I don't like Iranian food and I mentioned it that it is my personal preference. Perhaps because the one I tried here in Minnesota was not a good one.

From Mediterranean food I meant Levant food - Leb, Pali food etc. It is very delicious. And don't call me crazy, I didn't resort to personal attacks.

Why would I be mad? Check some of my previous posts you will get some idea. Many Pakistani and Indian members here call me Iranian or Iranian wannabe. :lol: I am great admirer of Iranian culture, but I don't like Iranian food and I mentioned it that it is my personal preference. Perhaps because the one I tried here in Minnesota was not a good one.

From Mediterranean food I meant Levant food - Leb, Pali food etc. It is very delicious. And don't call me crazy, I didn't resort to personal attacks.

Alot of Iranian restaurants in the West dont prepare fresh meals, especially for the khoreshts. Like all other types of restaurant they'll use tin/canned food and are likely to start preparing/cooking meals in the mornings and use these throughout the day. This is a problem with all restaurants these days, Italian, Iranian, Greek… whatever. Thats why food eaten at restaurants often falls below expecations, especially if there is no competition around the neighbourhood.

Back
Top Bottom