What's new

Iran desires a role in CPEC: Iranian Ambassador

ISLAMABAD: Iran is desirous of participating in the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) which is one of the greatest projects in the history of the region, Iranian Ambassador Mehdi Honardoust said on Friday.

Give it about 5 more years, you'll hear this same news from India too, guaranteed!!

Can somebody tell me how exactly is Iran going to join CPEC when half of Pakistan hates Shia more then India, another portion would love to see Pak gave a Iran a good thrashing - on the border?

And Turks? You guy's real? Those East Asian's have threads opened on alluding to their superiority in intelligence. Looking at this thread maybe they have a bloody point.

Half of Pakistan hates Shias!? :hitwall: i'm Pakistani and sunni and not one of my family or friends have any issue with shias. May be you need to stop hanging out with fanatics :disagree:

As for Iran, it's their pro-India attitude that pis*es us off sometimes. But I don't think their any sane Pakistani who wouldn't like better relations with them.

Give it about 5 more years, you'll hear this same news from India too, guaranteed!!
I would like to believe that. I really, really do. But as long as hawkish Modi led BJP Gov: stays in power with infamous ideologies of Ajit Doval, i.e., "Offensive Defense", its not gonna happen. Period.

Iran already has a rail corridor to China, freight wagons have already run back and forth. Sending good over the Himalayas to Iran via CPEC makes no sense to me. This China-Iran rail corridor already serves the Central Asian states.

Its not about a "rail link that already exists", its about 30-40% of the entire global consumer base that this project will bring together that has never happened before in the human history. Between China, Pakistan, Russia and Central Russian states, its about 1.7 billion people. If India and ME come in, that would be about 3.2 billion people connected through road, rail, ships and airways at a very short distance!! Imagine that and the possibilities.

Then comes the priority trade agreements with the Chinese, Russians and the Pakistanis (free trade, or duty free, etc, etc). All of these are what Iran wants. The Iranian rail and road, only serves a limited purpose for them. Why would you not try to make an extra $ 200 billion by formally joining something, but continue to make much less, lets say $ 50 billion that you make with the existing links? Makes no common sense. Everyone wants a bigger piece of a big juicy pizza :enjoy:

Also, Iran knows China ONLY trusts Pakistan. So her existing rail network, etc, won't be welcomed directly into the CPEC. So if I was to guess, Iran would extend that link to Pakistan to make it a portion of the CPEC going from Pakistan into Iran.

Don't forget the strategy, the Chinese want their "Iron Brother" to maintain control over the CPEC. That means, others like Iran, Afghanistan, Russia, etc, will join in, but Pakistan will be the center of the universe for this CPEC. Russia can have her own future ambitions and the Iranians are just as friendly towards the Indians. So there is no way the Chinese would want to deal with that.

So welcome to the new Pakistan built by the current Pakistani government, and a top 15th global economy by 2026!!

I would like to believe that. I really, really do. But as long as hawkish Modi led BJP Gov: stays in power with infamous ideologies of Ajit Doval, i.e., "Offensive Defense", its not gonna happen. Period.

Hawkish Modi is "hawkish" because of India's business position. Indian businessmen (many I've met recently at American-Indian business association) are itching to join the CPEC. They are smart people and know how easily they can market to 3 billion people connected via a road. But currently, they are milking the US. So they want to find the right time to get into CPEC so their relationship with the US isn't hurt. After all, whatever they are today (economy wise), the US has a 90% role in it since 1995!

Its not about a "rail link that already exists", its about 30-40% of the entire global consumer base that this project will bring together that has never happened before in the human history. Between China, Pakistan, Russia and Central Russian states, its about 1.7 billion people. If India and ME come in, that would be about 3.2 billion people connected through road, rail, ships and airways at a very short distance!! Imagine that and the possibilities.

Then comes the priority trade agreements with the Chinese, Russians and the Pakistanis (free trade, or duty free, etc, etc). All of these are what Iran wants. The Iranian rail and road, only serves a limited purpose for them. Why would you not try to make an extra $ 200 billion by formally joining something, but continue to make much less, lets say $ 50 billion that you make with the existing links? Makes no common sense. Everyone wants a bigger piece of a big juicy pizza :enjoy:

Also, Iran knows China ONLY trusts Pakistan. So her existing rail network, etc, won't be welcomed directly into the CPEC. So if I was to guess, Iran would extend that link to Pakistan to make it a portion of the CPEC going from Pakistan into Iran.

Don't forget the strategy, the Chinese want their "Iron Brother" to maintain control over the CPEC. That means, others like Iran, Afghanistan, Russia, etc, will join in, but Pakistan will be the center of the universe for this CPEC. Russia can have her own future ambitions and the Iranians are just as friendly towards the Indians. So there is no way the Chinese would want to deal with that.

So welcome to the new Pakistan built by the current Pakistani government, and a top 15th global economy by 2026!!

Hawkish Modi is "hawkish" because of India's business position. Indian businessmen (many I've met recently at American-Indian business association) are itching to join the CPEC. They are smart people and know how easily they can market to 3 billion people connected via a road. But currently, they are milking the US. So they want to find the right time to get into CPEC so their relationship with the US isn't hurt. After all, whatever they are today (economy wise), the US has a 90% role in it since 1995!

From a location point of view , Gwadar is better located than any port

Iran , UAE and India have been trying to sabotage the development of Gwadar , each for its own motive

The more people the better. India does not want pakistan to become stronger through CPEC and American does not want china to be stronger. Turkey and iran will just increase reassurance of the completion and if Russia joins then your looking a middle finger to the US and india. :tup:

I love your optimism, but I disagree.

Cheap safe reliable infrastructure will always win over anything else.CPEC corridor as far as I am concerned will only serve Pakistani and southern Afghan market.

Our FTA with China has only benefited one side.

You talk of markets, best market with 1.3 billion people with similar culture and tastes is on our doorstep, we need to be like Chinese and trade and put our differences aside, won't happen too many vested interests will stop it, but is my belief.

Anyway current CPEC investment stage one is over 15 years, so hopefully we can analyse together then :-)

Gentlemen, enjoy the news. Lots more is on the way. Things will open up gradually.

Russia-China-Pakistan-Iran-Turkey

The above, whatever name you may give it, alliance / block / group etc, is an upcoming reality.

Pakistan stands to benefit immensely in all this. Ignore the enemy's rants, stay motivated and United AND carry on.

Great news. It seems that the Iranians are realizing the importance of CPEC. If Turkey and Iran both get on board, it would be a game changer. Not only would it bring development to the region, but stability too. CPEC would bind the countries together somewhat. Everyone could benefit.

ISLAMABAD: Iran is desirous of participating in the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) which is one of the greatest projects in the history of the region, Iranian Ambassador Mehdi Honardoust said on Friday.

During a visit to the capital office of Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI), the Iranian envoy said his country has the capability to help the development of Pakistan’s economy through energy supply and construction of roads, railways dams and others area.

“At the same time, Pakistani textiles, rice, surgical goods, sports goods and agricultural products are in great demand in Iran,” he added.

However, Mr Honardoust acknowledged that trade and commerce between the two countries has been restricted due to lack of banking channels.

“Bilateral trade will get a boost after resolution of problems regarding banking which would disappear soon,” he added.

During his first visit to the FPCCI’s Islamabad office, the Iranian ambassador was welcomed by President FPCCI Abdul Rauf Alam, VP FPCCI Zafar Bakhtwari, former presidents ICCI Khalid Jaweed, Ijaz Abbasi, Chairman Coordination FPCCI Malik Sohail and others.

Mr Honardoust said that Iranian gas is the cheapest, fastest and most dependable source of energy for Pakistan.

“This project should be initiated at a fast track and soon Iran would complete its part of the pipeline at the cost of $2 billion,” he said.

Mr Honardoust dispelled the impression that international sanctions would restrict the IP gas pipeline project and said that many countries including China, India, Turkey, Japan and South Korea continued to buy energy from Iran during and after sanctions.

Speaking at the occasion, Mr Alam said Pakistan and Iran has already decided to increase annual trade volumes between the two countries to $5bn by 2021 for which efforts are needed.

Gwadar and Chabahar Ports are not rivals but they would supplement each other making the region centre of maritime trade, he said.

“Besides Pakistan can increase electricity imports from Iran but for which Tehran must reduce the price to make it competitive and attractive,” he added.

Published in Dawn, September 10th, 2016
http://www.dawn.com/news/1283098/

Iran was expected to ultimately join the CPEC project. For Iran, the CPEC is more than just trade infrastructure. Bitterly bitten by Western imposed sanctions for extended duration, Iranians desperately need a viable and reliable economic partner having a vastly overlapping security paradigm - a partner that not only becomes a long term buyer of Iranian oil but can also be able to shield Iranian interests at UNO. If Iranians enter into such a partnership with Chinese, CPEC will provide a readily available infrastructure to facilitate that partnership. Chabahar will then become a supporting port to Gwadar. The trade volume handled by the CPEC is expected to be much more than required to keep both Gwadar and Chabahar working to their full capacity. That will allow our Iranian brothers protect themselves from any future UN sanctions and Pakistan will secure its western border with Iran to make it free of Indian terrorists such as disgraced terrorist monkey Kul Bhoshan Jhadev. Chinese will partially achieve their energy security and enjoy vast trade venue. In other words, it's a win-win situation for all three countries China, Pakistan, and Iran. Only the enemies will badly lose.

Can somebody tell me how exactly is Iran going to join CPEC when half of Pakistan hates Shia more then India, another portion would love to see Pak gave a Iran a good thrashing - on the border?

And Turks? You guy's real? Those East Asian's have threads opened on alluding to their superiority in intelligence. Looking at this thread maybe they have a bloody point.
Please think like a Kaptaan...You already know the answer.

Well, it's never been mentioned in our media. And by definition CPEC (China-Pakistan Economic Corridor) will be between China and Pakistan.

We will join another project of China, as far as I know. And that was, if I recall correctly, the Silk Road Project. Here is more info on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Belt,_One_Road#Silk_Road_Economic_Belt
Remember the ECO initiative? Gul Train? b/w Turkey, Iran and Pakistan? That train as well as roads will be connected with already existing infrastructure of CPEC's western route. That train starts from istanbul-tehran-quetta in Pakistan. quetta is capital of Balochistan province where gwadar port lies. Yr trade from Oman, UAE, Far East and East Asia through sea can be done through this port. Even Romania and Bulgaria are also interested in this ECO initiative and its connection to CPEC. Because after istanbul next railways stop is Sofia, Bulgaria. One Road and One Belt initiative is different and more focused on Turkic World of central Asia.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom