What's new

Iran censures Indian PM's remarks

Black Stone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Iran censures Indian PM's remarks

Iran has vehemently denied the Indian prime minister's claims that Tehran has nuclear weapons ambitions, calling the remarks 'unacceptable'.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi said that such remarks were surprising and unacceptable, since the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has confirmed Iran's non-diversion towards nuclear weapons.

The remarks were 'ambiguous' and 'surprising' since India, as a member of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), had earlier voiced support for Iran's nuclear program, Qashqavi added.

The NAM member states, which represent nearly two thirds of the UN members including India, have so far issued two statements in support of Iran's nuclear program.

However, at a press conference last week, the Indian prime minister said that his country did not want to see new nuclear weapons states emerging in the region.

He added that there was 'no question of supporting nuclear weapon ambitions of Iran'.

He also said that Iran was a signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and was thus entitled to all that was needed to develop a civilian nuclear program but had to fulfill all the obligations that go with the treaty.

Manmohan Singh's remarks come as the US Senate approved a nuclear deal between Washington and New Delhi, a non-signatory to the NPT, on October 1.

The pact, around $27 billion in trade, had already been approved by the House of Representatives and it is expected to be signed by President George W. Bush on October 8.

The deal would allow US companies to provide India with supplies and technology for its nuclear power industry.

Under the deal, India, which conducted nuclear tests in 1974 and 1998, will also be able to choose which of its nuclear facilities are open to inspection.

The deal has been facing opposition as critics say it would allow India access to fuel and technology without requiring it to sign the NPT as other countries must.

On September 30, India signed a controversial atomic energy pact with France which would pave the way for the sale of French nuclear reactors to New Delhi.

The PM is sounding more like America these days. Even though I hate Indian Gov't appeasement policy towards neighbors, but certainly diplomatically this was not the right step. PM should have remained neutral on Iran, like India has done in the past.

What Uncle wants, Uncle usually gets - especially when money is involved in any way.

This is an inkling of things to come for the naysayers who say that India will carry on with its independent foreign policies. As I mentioned in another thread, uncle will come collecting one of these days on the favours bestowed in the past, present and the future. There is no other way around it. If that means that you have to sour your own relations with a neighbor till kingdom come, so be it.

What Uncle wants, Uncle usually gets - especially when money is involved in any way.

I don't think this is the prelude of how India will react to every situation what Uncle Sam wants, but clearly there is a sign of Iran and India relations because of US. One good thing will come out of India and US relations, and that is appeasement attitude will lessen, which majority of Indian will favor.

This is an inkling of things to come for the naysayers who say that India will carry on with its independent foreign policies. As I mentioned in another thread, uncle will come collecting one of these days on the favours bestowed in the past, present and the future. There is no other way around it. If that means that you have to sour your own relations with a neighbor till kingdom come, so be it.[/QUTE]

You may have a point here, but the redeeming feature is that thee Cong is unlikley to form the next Govt. Whoever does will as always have an anti - previous govt agenda.

Actually, I do not think the PM did wrong either..having opposed Iran earlier too & seeing the ultimate agenda it has .. sometimes is ok to call a spade a spade.

I don't think this is the prelude of how India will react to every situation what Uncle Sam wants, but clearly there is a sign of Iran and India relations because of US. One good thing will come out of India and US relations, and that is appeasement attitude will lessen, which majority of Indian will favor.

The only thing coming out of this is like others in the circle of US influence, you will appease the US more and some others like Iran less. Can't say one is better than the other. Not sure what your idea of appeasement is...India has never appeased anyone (your hawks think it that way but so do hawks everywhere else). If you are referring to appeasement of Middle Eastern countries then know so that they have done quite a bit for India and the Indian economy and actually have helped out India in some rather difficult diplomatic situations.

Actually, I do not think the PM did wrong either..having opposed Iran earlier too & seeing the ultimate agenda it has .. sometimes is ok to call a spade a spade.

So you also took the bait hook, line, and sinker about the so-called Iranian agenda? :lol: What agenda btw? I guess after the nuclear deal with the NSG, Indians are all about NPT now (as long as it does not apply to them...the big out here for India is to scapegoat Iran since everyone is already piling crap on them in any case)..what a sham!...lets hold Iranians hostage to nuclear bias while you get away with all sorts of under-hand deals. I am sure these double standards will keep other countries religiously abiding by the NPT. :rolleyes:

This is an inkling of things to come for the naysayers who say that India will carry on with its independent foreign policies. As I mentioned in another thread, uncle will come collecting one of these days on the favours bestowed in the past, present and the future. There is no other way around it. If that means that you have to sour your own relations with a neighbor till kingdom come, so be it.

I see no change in the Indian Policy towards Iran and nothing wrong in what PM had said in the press conference in france.
the Indian prime minister said that his country did not want to see new nuclear weapons states emerging in the region.
He added that there was 'no question of supporting nuclear weapon ambitions of Iran'.

I dont think any country would like to see a nuclear weapon state emerges in the its regieon....
But India has always said that Iran has full right to develope its civil nuclear program....

He also said that Iran was a signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and was thus entitled to all that was needed to develop a civilian nuclear program but had to fulfill all the obligations that go with the treaty

whats wrong in his statements ........ these statements cant be called as a change in Policy.
other examples are.........
Just recently India has decided to vote with Russia against the kosovo's independece......
India has decided to extend its defence co-operation agreement with Russia for 10 more years.......
India has not change its stand in WTO talks because of n deal....

i think india made a wise choice in choosing it's allies. supporting iran for the last 30 years has proved nothing but worthless to india. then further the pipeline thing and increasing prices further pissed off the indian officials. so finally india made a choice and now the iranians have to pay for not doing enough to buy off a worthy ally.

So you also took the bait hook, line, and sinker about the so-called Iranian agenda? :lol: What agenda btw? I guess after the nuclear deal with the NSG, Indians are all about NPT now (as long as it does not apply to them...the big out here for India is to scapegoat Iran since everyone is already piling crap on them in any case)..what a sham!...lets hold Iranians hostage to nuclear bias while you get away with all sorts of under-hand deals. I am sure these double standards will keep other countries religiously abiding by the NPT. :rolleyes:

No one gives a flying **** if others abide by the NPT or not, these days its each man for himself ( with no " women & children first either !).

There is no bait to take as most would like to believe, just plain common sense, reasoning & national self interest. Before u take off debating this, let me pre empt u by saying that all issues need not / cannot be discussed openly.

You may have a point here, but the redeeming feature is that thee Cong is unlikley to form the next Govt. Whoever does will as always have an anti - previous govt agenda. .

So if the congress is not in power in near future and BJP and its other allied parties who are staunch opposers of US-Indo deal, are coming to power soon then what will be the status of this US-Indo Nuclear deal????

Is BJP going to carry it with all its condistions and articles as keeping in view all the international accords they will have no other option but to own the agreements.

But! in that case what will happen to vote bank of BJP and other rival parties of congress.

Its not the matter of calling a sapde a spade rather we all know its just protecing our own intrests. Till the time India was not an ally of US it was supporting Iran as bineg in Russian block and as soon as US had embraced India now its in Indian intrest to dicth Iran.
Simple as that.

The only thing coming out of this is like others in the circle of US influence, you will appease the US more and some others like Iran less. Can't say one is better than the other. Not sure what your idea of appeasement is...India has never appeased anyone (your hawks think it that way but so do hawks everywhere else). If you are referring to appeasement of Middle Eastern countries then know so that they have done quite a bit for India and the Indian economy and actually have helped out India in some rather difficult diplomatic situations.

What I mean by Appeasment is that India is very soft towards China and Bangledash towards border issues. Unlike Pakistan there is an issue of Kashmire, but with these two countries there is a constant border issues, and India gov't does not take a hard stance towards them.

The PM is sounding more like America these days. Even though I hate Indian Gov't appeasement policy towards neighbors, but certainly diplomatically this was not the right step. PM should have remained neutral on Iran, like India has done in the past.

The PM actually made a brave statement and what he said was reasonable and correct. No countries in this world including Iran's allies China and Russia would allow Iran to obtain nuclear weapons.

Staying neutral is not good either in that situation because when it comes to nuclear weapons, it's either a YAY or a NAY, there is no middle ground.

Although, this might seem like India is appeasing the US, but even if it's true, it is the right thing to do. India knows in the long run, siding with the US is better than siding with Iran.

India knows the US would benefit her more than what Iran can offer. The PM is only putting his country's interests first.

A brave and a wise thing to do.

So if the congress is not in power in near future and BJP and its other allied parties who are staunch opposers of US-Indo deal, are coming to power soon then what will be the status of this US-Indo Nuclear deal????

Is BJP going to carry it with all its condistions and articles as keeping in view all the international accords they will have no other option but to own the agreements.

Just remember the deal was initiated during times of the BJP. They were just peeved that their' thunder' was being stolen. I do not think there will be many ( or even any) changes if the BJP comes back 2 power. As would be evident , Ir respective of party politics, there is no compromise amongst the parties ( less the commies)when national interests are involved. They feel sorry abt the brownie points lost when someone else grabs the glory.
But! in that case what will happen to vote bank of BJP and other rival parties of congress.

Which vote bank is against the deal ? No one, the ppl are for it.. In any case , there will be enough time till the next elections to catch up with the vote banks.

Its not the matter of calling a sapde a spade rather we all know its just protecing our own intrests. Till the time India was not an ally of US it was supporting Iran as bineg in Russian block and as soon as US had embraced India now its in Indian intrest to dicth Iran.
Simple as that.

If calling a spade a spade serves national interests.. so be it.Here it did.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom