What's new

iPhone 15 Pro is powered by new industry-leading ‘A17 Pro’ chip

Looks like A17 Pro is underwhelming, worse efficiency compared to A16. Throttling during various stress tests, lower power efficiency.

A17.jpg

GPU-wise, it's even worse situation. Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 is ahead of A-series in terms of efficiency, I think significantly ahead.

A17_GPU.jpg

IMO, no matter whatever brand you are fan of, nothing justifies buying a new phone every year (unless off course you have too much money and don't know where to spend it). Any modern smartphone can easily stay relevant 2-3 years. Market is already saturated.

View attachment 953441

5 years as far as I am concerned. Or until the phone is physically broken.

A17 Pro GPU is clearly inferior to Qualcomm's last SoC. Apple is falling behind the GPU race.
South Korean blogger did detailed tests and results are clearly evident.

Apple-iPhone-15-Pro-Max-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S23-Ultra-3DMark-Wildlife-Extreme-GPU-Test-scaled.jpg

Also I mentioned about CPU throttling in A17 Pro, and as expected battery-life reports are not very encouraging.

was just reading that article lol. my current one is almost at the end of its life. lets see how I go with this one
I wouldn’t pay shit for the max. I don’t want my phone to bend. The normal pro is ok though but it doesn’t have 5 x zoom. Only reason I would update my current iPhone is to get the 5x zoom. I believe the new chip is a bogus scam.

I wouldn’t pay shit for the max. I don’t want my phone to bend. The normal pro is ok though but it doesn’t have 5 x zoom. Only reason I would update my current iPhone is to get the 5x zoom. I believe the new chip is a bogus scam.
I couldn't agree more. The only reason I bought that is for the bigger screen, I play a lot of games on the go and watch movies as well. The Ipad are too big for comfort use in metro

I couldn't agree more. The only reason I bought that is for the bigger screen, I play a lot of games on the go and watch movies as well. The Ipad are too big for comfort use in metro
Which games do you play?

Apple today announced that iPhone 15 Pro is powered by a new Apple Silicon chip, which Apple calls ‘A17 Pro’.

A17 Pro is fabricated using an industry-leading 3 nanometer process, housing a total of 19 billion transistors. Apple says the high-performance cores in A17 chip are up to 10% faster, and mean iPhone remains the fastest smartphone in the industry. However, the bigger focus this year is on the GPU performance.

The new six-core GPU in A17 Pro is faster than ever, up to 20% faster. Apple also says sustained performance for gaming is also significantly improved.

The A17 Pro chip also enables hardware-accelerated raytracing for super-accurate lighting rendering on iPhone 15 Pro. As a result, iPhone 15 Pro is the first smartphone to be capable of realtime raytracing.

A17 also includes a USB-3 controller, enabling up to 10 Gbps data transfer speeds over the iPhone 15 Pro’s USB-C port. This is up to 20x faster than the old USB-2 speeds supported by the Lightning port.

The A17 Pro chip is available inside the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max, which go up for preorder this Friday and go on sale in stores next week, on Friday September 22.

but at what costs?

@StraightEdge @Skull and Bones @Taskforce

got my hands on the device this morning. been using it till now.

Phone came with 75% precharged, moved the data from my older phone, did software updates, phone got a little bit hot for few minutes once the data got moved, it was back to normal. battery was at 58%.

Was playing Asphalt 9 for a while, but didn't get hot but the battery drained faster as well, my wifi got disconnected and I was using 5G and few apps were downloading/ syncing in the background. the battery was at 48% after 20 mins play + network.

went to the gym for an hour mobile was on 5G not much usage, The battery didn't drain much was at 47% when i reached home.

Now here comes the fun part, Installed Instagram, logged in and was watched some reels and responded to some messages, my phone got super hot and after 20 mins battery is at 28%.

Looks like what apple mentioned, most of the battery issues were related to the apps itself.

@StraightEdge @Skull and Bones @Taskforce

got my hands on the device this morning. been using it till now.

Phone came with 75% precharged, moved the data from my older phone, did software updates, phone got a little bit hot for few minutes once the data got moved, it was back to normal. battery was at 58%.

Was playing Asphalt 9 for a while, but didn't get hot but the battery drained faster as well, my wifi got disconnected and I was using 5G and few apps were downloading/ syncing in the background. the battery was at 48% after 20 mins play + network.

went to the gym for an hour mobile was on 5G not much usage, The battery didn't drain much was at 47% when i reached home.

Now here comes the fun part, Installed Instagram, logged in and was watched some reels and responded to some messages, my phone got super hot and after 20 mins battery is at 28%.

Looks like what apple mentioned, most of the battery issues were related to the apps itself.

Thanks for taking the effort to actually write this. I think for people using older gen iPhones/Android devices, iPhone 14 Pro is a better deal.

Thanks for taking the effort to actually write this. I think for people using older gen iPhones/Android devices, iPhone 14 Pro is a better deal.
That’s true 14 pro is a good deal considering the prices during the sale that’s going on in Amazon and Flipkart

Back
Top Bottom