What's new

Install Windows 10 for Free !!!

I use a desktop and a laptop. Desktop runs on Ubuntu. My laptop is Lenovo Y510p and used to run on Windows 8.1 till this morning, which got upgraded to Windows 10. ........

You might want to go through this thread
If it applies to you

What happened to Suse Linux.It was awesome back in the day...used version 8 & 9.

Still out there as openSuse v13.2 if you want to use it and want a ghirgit on your PC

Win 10 upgrade doesn't support clean install from ISO. you need to have a legit 7/8.1, and upgrade via official MS Update the first time, so that Microsoft has your HWID recorded on their authentification server. Only then, the next time you can delete previous OS, and clean install from ISO/Disc/USB, etc. Because of your previous upgrade has already left a HWID on their system, it will auto-authentificate, and will not ask you to enter the product key. You need to buy a retail Win10 license key, if you just want to install from an ISO image you downloaded from the web.
So it's like a Windows 8 to 8.1 transition.

I use a desktop and a laptop. Desktop runs on Ubuntu. My laptop is Lenovo Y510p and used to run on Windows 8.1 till this morning, which got upgraded to Windows 10. Post-upgrade any form of network connection is not working, WiFi or Ethernet. I checked the drivers in Device Manager, they are fine. Any idea what went wrong ?
Some driver issue why not have a dual boot laptop

You might want to go through this thread
If it applies to you

Still out there as openSuse v13.2 if you want to use it and want a ghirgit on your PC
Ah! Thanks.Anyone tried it ? I'm on a capped plan and it's a 5 gig download.

@fakhre mirpur I had a look at that Zorin Distro it looks good.Hows the support for the older Core i7-2630QM.Might install it on my backup Ubuntu SSD.

Ah! Thanks.Anyone tried it ? I'm on a capped plan and it's a 5 gig download.

@fakhre mirpur I had a look at that Zorin Distro it looks good.Hows the support for the older Core i7-2630QM.Might install it on my backup Ubuntu SSD.
It will run flawlessly on it

Some driver issue why not have a dual boot laptop

Yeah, I think this is what MS did wrong again. They should never ever try to push 3rd party drivers along with their auto-updates. They are trying to be like Apple, who has control over MacBook/iMac's hardware, whereas MS doesn't, it's freaking PC! made by many different manufacturers.

This auto-update thingy is gonna wreak havoc deep down the timeline, because MS wants too much control, both on consumers and manufacturers.

Yeah, I think this is what MS did wrong again. They should never ever try to push 3rd party drivers along with their auto-updates. They are trying to be like Apple, who has control over MacBook/iMac's hardware, whereas MS doesn't, it's freaking PC! made by many different manufacturers.

This auto-update thingy is gonna wreak havoc deep down the timeline, because MS wants too much control, both on consumers and manufacturers.
Thats why i use linux i have yet to find an external hardware that is not detected instantly by lubuntu i mean seriously windows 8 didnot detect my web cam but linux did

Most of my purposes are met by Windows only, so I don't need any. In fact even Windows Vista or XP will also do for me.
XP and vista dude ya got guts running these virus prone system

How many of you people know that one of the biggest contributor to the Linux kernel if not the biggest contributor is

Drum roll please

Microsoft

From Greg KH one of the maintainers of the Linux Kernel

@cloud_9 He works for Suse

Last edited:
I installed it but the Window is not active

it needs product key to be active i have 3 keys but neither of them are working now really confused :cry::cry::cry::cry:

:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

XP and vista dude ya got guts running these virus prone system
Yes...they are vulnerable. My old PC still runs on Vista, recently increased its RAM to 8GB. I use it for very selective tasks- editing images taken from my camera and a few trusted sites that I visit regularly. It's an old Core 2 Duo, 1.86 GHZ. But it does the job perfectly fine. So never felt any necessity to change.

Windows 10 upgrade has not been so smooth, there are issues of BSOD, crashes etc etc.
Ideally wait for few months to get some fixes.

Coming on linux, i remember using mulinux mulinux download | SourceForge.net
I could load it from single floppy :)

Yes...they are vulnerable. My old PC still runs on Vista, recently increased its RAM to 8GB. I use it for very selective tasks- editing images taken from my camera and a few trusted sites that I visit regularly. It's an old Core 2 Duo, 1.86 GHZ. But it does the job perfectly fine. So never felt any necessity to change.
try linux it will breath a new soul in your old system

try linux it will breath a new soul in your old system
Linux will not run Photoshop :P and no, I can't and will not use GIMP, Photoshop is better and more user friendly.

That's the problem. Not many commercial or free software are available for Linux. I think there is huge lobbying by Microsoft behind this. I was also told, Microsoft has covertly supported piracy to maximize the use of Microsoft-based solutions.

Back
Top Bottom