What's new

INS Arihant : Updates & Discussion

LOL. For a cylinder lying horizontally the width is the same as the height :cheesy:....... does that help ?

But subs are not cylinders and are not completly round.

They are not square because the flat front surface would present a HUGE resistance to motion. They aren't round , either, except maybe submersibles, they are shaped to minimize the power it takes to push 'em thru the water
By the way, submarines are like rockets in that they both move thru a fluid, either water or air. The first rocket scientists figured that the rockets had to 'cut' the air at high speed, so they designed pointy noses on them (look at some pix of old rockets from like the 1940's, the V2 for ex.,) ...oops, later experiments and analysis showed that a blunt round nose worked better...same for subs.

Shows how much those smarty pants rocket scientists knew.

But subs are not cylinders and are not completly round.

Are you TRYING to sound stupid ? most subs ARE cylindrical. Its for the same reasons most ROCKETS are cylindrical. That shape has the least amount of drag. Same goes for shape of civilian passenger aircraft's.

Your external link talks about the NOSE of the Sub.

Are you TRYING to sound stupid ? most subs ARE cylindrical. Its for the same reasons most ROCKETS are cylindrical. That shape has the least amount of drag. Same goes for shape of civilian passenger aircraft's.

Your external link talks about the NOSE of the Sub.

I meant the subs are not exactly round, not all subs.

For example

EtmTFGy.jpg

Typhoon-hatches.jpg

This is typhoon class SSBN.

As you can see its not completely round.

I was just suggesting same could be the case with Akula i.e its width may exceed its height (significantly).

@Capt.Popeye @Oscar

INS Arihant : The Complete Discussion | Page 22

Last edited:
I meant the subs are not exactly round.

For example

EtmTFGy.jpg

Typhoon-hatches.jpg

I was just suggesting smae could be the case with Akula i.e its width may exceed its height (significantly more).

Yes, I agree that its never a perfect Cylinder. My point was you can estimate the width based on the height. It would never be significantly more.

Yes, I agree that its never a perfect Cylinder. My point was you can estimate the width based on the height. It would never be significantly more.

The wiki says beam of INS arihant is 15 M while that of Chakra is 13.5 M, while there length is nearly same.

One of the figure or both figures are wrong.

I meant the subs are not exactly round, not all subs.

For example

EtmTFGy.jpg

Typhoon-hatches.jpg

I was just suggesting same could be the case with Akula i.e its width may exceed its height (significantly).

@Capt.Popeye @Oscar

INS Arihant : The Complete Discussion | Page 22

The reason these subs are not around is because they use double pressure hulls within that outer hull. Essentially its like a sideways 8.

The reason these subs are not around is because they use double pressure hulls within that outer hull. Essentially its like a sideways 8.

I know that Typhoon and many other russian designed subs are double hulled.

That is why I was saying that not all subs are completely round.

Indigenous nuclear powered submarine INS Arihant to head out for sea trials

Sandeep Unnithan New Delhi, Saturday, December 13, 2014
arihant-story_350_121314032445.jpg

India's quest for a secure seaborne nuclear deterrent is set for a giant stride when its first indigenously constructed nuclear submarine the INS Arihant begins sea trials next week.

Naval sources indicated a casting-off date of Monday, December 15, and preparations are currently underway at the Shipbuilding Centre, Visakhapatnam to ensure a smooth sail out for the 6,000-tonne nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN).

"It will be a surfaced sortie, but a great milestone nevertheless," naval officials told India Today.

It has been a slow crawl for the Arihant since she was launched at the shipbuilding centre in Vizag on July 26, 2009. It was four years before the next major milestone could be crossed, in August 2013 when the 83MW reactor onboard the submarine went critical.

Navy chief Admiral Robin Dhowan told mediapersons on December 3 that the submarine would commence its sea trials "very soon" and attributed the five-year time lag to the complexity of the platform and its equipment. Sources say the navy chief Admiral Dhowan wanted Prime Minister Narendra Modi to be present at the cast-off, but it failed to materialize because of scheduling reasons.

Naval officials say the sea sortie marks the first in a series of steps-submerged sea trials and weapon firing trials which the submarine will have to cover before she is ready for induction into the navy, a process which could take another year.

The navy plans a fleet of five SSBNs, all of them capable of firing nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles from under the sea. Two more Arihant class submairnes are being fabricated at the SBC in Vizag and are likely to be inducted over the next five years.

India currently operates one nuclear submarine, the INS Chakra (the ex Russian sub 'Nerpa') taken on a ten-year lease from Russia in 2012. One of the items on the agenda of recent summit-level talks between Russian President Putin and Prime Minister Narendra Modi is believed to have been the lease of a second SSN, the unfinished 'Iribis', left unfinished after the breakup of the Soviet Union.

INS Arihant coming out of Visakhapatnam harbor for Sea Acceptance Trials

image1.JPG

6dwlnHE.png

INSArihant_K_R_Dee_2245047f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom