What's new

Infrastructure Development in Pakistan

eee2aade31eccc0d3bfda1da7fbd81fd.jpg

0bd389fb2f444fbcb7df8040c22c8f66.jpg

Thursday, August 20, 2009
By our correspondent

Karachi

The United States envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan, Richard Holbrooke, has described the development works carried out in Karachi as ‘unbelievable.’ He said that the measures taken by City Nazim Syed Mustafa Kamal have surprised him.

He expressed these views after having a meeting with City Nazim at Governor House on Wednesday and later talking to media representatives after visiting a CDGK school in an underprivileged area near City Station in Saddar Town.

“I feel much pleasure on the development of Karachi; City Nazim’s measures are surprising,” he commented.

Richard Holbrooke said that the people of Karachi have benefited with these development works and this system should continue.

Holbrooke said that the steps taken for the promotion of trade and business in Karachi would further enhance commercial activities in this part of the world.

“It is a pleasure to meet students in this area of Karachi. When I asked them what they want to become after they grow up, some of them said they want to become doctor, engineer or want to join the Army. Listening to their aspirations has moved me very much.” He also thanked City Nazim for arranging this visit.

Holbrooke also met the business community representatives in Karachi.

“The Nazim has informed me about your problems and we will try to solve these problems, particularly energy crisis,” he said.

Holbrooke assured the traders of his full support for the solution of their problems.

On the occasion, City Nazim Syed Mustafa Kamal thanked the US envoy for visiting Karachi and taking out some time to meet the children and businessmen in the city.

He said that the people of Karachi have immensely benefited due to the present local government system and they want this system to continue.

Looking good Pakistan!!!

I always wanted to ask this, officially it says Pakistan's population is 180 million BUT....

.... but, of all the photos I've seen of Pakistan (which is a lot) it always feels empty of people. I know its more crowded than some places in the world, but no where as busy and bustling as many other places. Which brings me to this pondering, perhaps this 180 figure is fabricated. Just like India fabricates her statistics, Pakistan does the same to 'catch up'.

Now this isn't unusual. Firstly, being mainly rural and tribal, statistics on population is mostly guess work. Take for example India's new initiative at a National Identity card, which is mostly to track people, combat multiple-cards/fraud/lack-of-cards, etc. Another example is say in Algeria. I asked this man how many people in his homeland, he said 'officially 30 million'. Then he laughed, and continued '3 decades ago it was 30 million, next 3 decades 30 million'.

Basically, I doubt the 180 million figure because the agricultural land seems to meagre to support such a large number! This is just an interesting thought I want to pose to everyone here. :)

Looking good Pakistan!!!

I always wanted to ask this, officially it says Pakistan's population is 180 million BUT....

.... but, of all the photos I've seen of Pakistan (which is a lot) it always feels empty of people. I know its more crowded than some places in the world, but no where as busy and bustling as many other places. Which brings me to this pondering, perhaps this 180 figure is fabricated. Just like India fabricates her statistics, Pakistan does the same to 'catch up'.

Now this isn't unusual. Firstly, being mainly rural and tribal, statistics on population is mostly guess work. Take for example India's new initiative at a National Identity card, which is mostly to track people, combat multiple-cards/fraud/lack-of-cards, etc. Another example is say in Algeria. I asked this man how many people in his homeland, he said 'officially 30 million'. Then he laughed, and continued '3 decades ago it was 30 million, next 3 decades 30 million'.

Basically, I doubt the 180 million figure because the agricultural land seems to meagre to support such a large number! This is just an interesting thought I want to pose to everyone here. :)

The statistics are correct. Pakistan's population is rapidly growing and no we are not competing with India in terms of population growth. Pakistan is not as large as India so we cant have over a billion people in Pakistan.

Most of Pakistan's population live in villages. The villages are of course not as developed as cities so I'm not going to post pictures of villages.

The most populated city in Pakistan is Karachi followed by Lahore so these cities along with the capital, Islamabad, are the places where you'll see the most development, and I dont think many photographers take pictures of places where there's crowds of people in front of the camera.

Over-population is not good for the country because no Pakistani wants to deal with more of this:

The statistics are correct. Pakistan's population is rapidly growing and no we are not competing with India in terms of population growth. Pakistan is not as large as India so we cant have over a billion people in Pakistan.

Most of Pakistan's population live in villages. The villages are of course not as developed as cities so I'm not going to post pictures of villages.

The most populated city in Pakistan is Karachi followed by Lahore so these cities along with the capital, Islamabad, are the places where you'll see the most development, and I dont think many photographers take pictures of places where there's crowds of people in front of the camera.

Over-population is not good for the country because no Pakistani wants to deal with more of this:

Thanks friend for beautiful photos, but still not as crowded as China or Vietnam, or even Thailand or Philippines. Also first photo shows lanes on right to be empty, I take it to be rush hour to return home from work. It's just that I've been to so many places, and doing my calculations based on that, I still don't believe in 180 million figure -- which should be good news, as OVER-POPULATION is bad! :pakistan: Not sure if it is safe to visit Pakistan (as a non-Pakistani) now with the "war-on-terror", but would like to see with my own eyes. Do you think it is 'safe enough' for a foreigner to visit now??? :china::pakistan::pdf:

Oh, I would like to add that LA, Toronto, NY can be much busier that what you shown.

^^^^

As I said in my previous post, most of Pakistan's population live in villages. Punjab province alone has more than 80 million people and there are more villages in Punjab than there are cities.

As long as you dont go to a village near the Pak-Afghan border you should be safe in Pakistan.

:pakistan::china:

Last edited:
Port Grand set to be inaugurated on Aug 14

By: Waqar Hamza | Published: July 03, 2009

KARCHI - The Port Grand, which is being developed on sea, is Pakistan’s only short break food and fun destination which is offering an unrivalled selection of attractions for the whole family to enjoy together. It will be inaugurated on August 14, The Nation has learnt.
The General Manager Planning and Development Karachi Port Trust, Brig Jamshed Zaidi, told that it was to be completed in 2007 but has been delayed for 2 years and the reasons including the old bridge which was not sustainable, encroachers were not ready to vacate the place, Hindu community had also put the hurdles and were up to politicise the issue, but now it is ready.
Talking to The Nation, the Director Operations Port Grand Limited, Shahrukh Khan, said that some 12 to 13,000 people were expected to visit this grand segment all over the Asia which had been built with Rs2 billion. “The most interesting thing is that it is designed with latest technology, which has been used in Holland.” For security measures we have installed a camera which can smoke any explosive material within the range of 500 meters and make the culprits paralysed through its rays for 30 minutes, thus it is easy to cop with the security issue there, he added.
Khan said: “A tramway is also brought in for 1,200 meters long journey, the best feature of the Port Grand, however, the investment is foreign as there are many companies, which are opening their outlets here, coming to Pakistan for the first time.”
This world-class attraction has been designed and developed by the leading US architects, ‘Nework’ of New Jersey.
There are the hinterland areas which are a must visit such as the Napier’s Tavern, the Port House Galleria, or to get the sense of contemporary lifestyle at places like The Festival Boulevard, Garden Restaurant, Leo’s Loop, and the Bridge Art Lane.
The visitors are to choose from more than 50 restaurants with an endless variety of ethnic and international style, cuisine, cultivating everything from Gourmet Food, a cheesy steak, to the award winning ‘Nihari’ and ‘Kebab’. The ‘Chaat’ or fries or ‘Murgh Choolay’ are as important a part of Karachi’s street culture as the ‘Rubri’.
It includes dining precincts extended along the bridge and through the many wonders like the Central Rotary Park on the mainland, and there is a huge range of shopping choices, styles and experiences.

Port Grand set to be inaugurated on Aug 14 | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Looks like this project is still under construction and hasn't been completed by 14th August 2009 as promised.

56d36509ab6aa725acb87ec87a7d97df.jpg

Other developments in Karachi:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of these are civil projects.

What about Electrical, Mechanical projects.

Besides that I havent seen any single image about textile or agricultur industry

Most of these are civil projects.

What about Electrical, Mechanical projects.

Besides that I havent seen any single image about textile or agricultur industry

There's many news on development on those areas but very few pictures. Most of us posting in this thread are too obsessed about buildings I guess.

Here's an intersting news concerning our agricultural industry:

Friday, July 03, 2009
THATTA: Federal Minister for Food and Agriculture Nazar Mohammad Gondal on Thursday performed the ground breaking and foundation stone laying ceremony of the first palm oil mill in Pakistan.

The palm oil mill will be constructed at a cost of Rs59.743 million on an area of 300 acres by the Pakistan Oil Development Board near Ghulamullah town, some 20km from here.

Addressing the occasion, the minister said that Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto had taken keen interest in the cultivation of oil seeds and production of edible oil in Pakistan.

It was the government of Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto that had imported palm oil seedlings from Malaysia in 1996 and now President Asif Ali Zardari has taken up this project once again, he said, adding that the present PPP government was striving hard to serve the masses and fulfill the mission of Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and his daughter.

A sum of Rs2 billion is being spent on the import of edible oil every year, Gondal said adding that after the commissioning of this mill, large amounts of foreign exchange will be saved.

He said that that the land of Thatta and Badin district, especially coastal areas, are extremely suitable for the plantation and production of palm trees.

He said that each tree will give crops up to 25 years and the growers can earn Rs56,000 per acre from this crop each year. He noted that with the progress and prosperity of growers, the entire country will reap the benefits.

Back
Top Bottom