What's new

Indonesia Aerospace Forum

Indonesia Presidential Superpuma Helicopter has been rolled out by PTDI after doing scheduled maintenance in the company. PTDI has MRO division for helicopter and planes. It includes engine maintenance in PTDI subsidiary (PT Nusantara Turbin dan Propulsi)

Current CN 235 Flying Test Bed use CN 235 -220 version. Previous CN 235 FTB use CN 235 older version.

CN 235 FTB older version.

FTB-2-1-e1586542030686.jpg

FTB-3-1.jpg

Current CN 235 FTB (Flying Test Bed)

CN235-FTB-1.jpg

Last but not least, Korea and KAI's plan of developing regional turboprop aircraft has been stranded for an obvious reason. On top of all the problems I've mentioned above, the most important problem is that there ain't no domestic market within Korea to justify the development of an aircraft of this kind.

This has been the major argument against developing regional jets in Korea, yet it has always seemed like a poor excuse to me. The flight between Seoul and Jeju has been the busiest air route in the world by a wide margin in the number of passengers for years if I am not mistaken (Gimhae to Jeju should be on the list as well). Officials have also discussed years of building a new airport in Jeju island as the existing one is overcrowded at the moment. Plus, there is a plenty of flights between Korea to Japan and China, covering relatively very short distances.

Yes, the aviation industry has recently been hit hard by the pandemic, but it is just outright dishonest and wrong to say there is no opportunity for Korean manufacturers to build commerical pessanger aeroplanes for those profitable routes.

The country has markets, monies, time and engineers. What Korea lacks is a long-term vision and ambition of developing local aerospace industries. I am afraid what you just said is more of sour grapes.

Last edited:
KF-X project on track but concerns grow about Indonesian involvement
by Jon Grevatt

Technicians from Indonesian aerospace firm PT Dirgantara Indonesia (PTDI) will soon be rejoining counterparts from Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) to undertake work on developing the Korean Fighter eXperimental (KF-X) multirole fighter aircraft, Janes has learnt.

PTDI technicians on the KF-X project – known as KF-X/IF-X in Indonesia – returned to Indonesia from South Korea in March when the Covid-19 epidemic was at its peak in the Northeast Asian country. An industry source has confirmed to Janes that these technicians are now “currently preparing to redeploy”.

fg_3262496-jdw-6979.jpg

An artist’s impression of the KF-X fighter aircraft. The first KF-X prototype is scheduled to be rolled out in April 2021. (DAPA)

Janes understands that at the end of 2019 the total number of PTDI technicians on the KF-X project in South Korea was about 100, with their work mainly focused on aircraft design and manufacturing processes. Their redeployment will be framed against requirements for social distancing and other Covid-19-related guidelines.

The move to re-engage PTDI technicians on the project comes against a background of progress on the development of KF-X prototypes but also continuing delays in efforts to reach a compromise on the scope of Indonesian financial participation in the programme. Another factor that could have an impact on Indonesia’s involvement are some concerns in Jakarta about the strategic value of its involvement.

KAI has confirmed that assembly of the first KF-X prototype is scheduled to be finalised in the second half of 2020, with a view to rolling out the aircraft in April 2021. The schedules confirm that the KF-X programme has not been affected by Covid-19 and is on track to start mass production in the mid-2020s.

However, Janes

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/...ut-concerns-grow-about-indonesian-involvement

First off, sorry to others that we are getting off topic. Should be the last post regarding this here.

This has been the major argument against developing regional jets in Korea, yet it has always seemed like a poor excuse to me. The flight between Seoul and Jeju has been the busiest air route in the world by a wide margin in the number of passengers for years if I am not mistaken (Gimhae to Jeju should be on the list as well). Officials have also discussed years of building a new airport in Jeju island as the existing one is overcrowded at the moment. Plus, there is a plenty of flights between Korea to Japan and China, covering relatively very short distances.

Yes, the aviation industry has recently been hit hard by the pandemic, but it is just outright dishonest and wrong to say there is no opportunity for Korean manufacturers to build commerical pessanger aeroplanes for those profitable routes.

The country has markets, monies, time and engineers. What Korea lacks is a long-term vision and ambition of developing local aerospace industries. I am afraid what you just said is more of sour grapes.

First, lets get to your original point.

The problems with Korea, Japan and China have been the fact that they try to build a commercial aircraft with 70~100+ seats straight way. They may learn a thing or two from Indonesian commercial aircraft programs.

So you've said that Korea, Japan and China should have followed the "Indonesian route", i.e. build a C 212 class regional transport first and then proceed to bigger planes. I have explained why that would be unnecessary or unrealistic. Then you come up with ICN-CJU, ICN-PUS or other regional short haul routes to China and Japan and argue that Korea does have the domestic market. Yes I agree because it was never my argument that "Korea doesn't have domestic or regional flight demands".

My arguments were mainly two things :

1.) If Korea builds a C 212 class aircraft like you suggest there would be no demand. Not even the bigger Q-400 class aircraft, because, once more like I've said, Korean airlines are phasing out those turboprop aircraft in favor of B737 and A220. It seems like you know a thing or two, but it's just obvious that Korean airlines are not interested in turboprops at all.

2.) Even if Korea proceeds and build C 212 class aircraft, gain experience and then build A220 class aircraft or even a B737 class aircraft one day, whose gonna buy it? Korea ain't China where it's a fixed outcome that the domestic airlines are gonna buy the domestic aircraft no matter what. If Korea builds an aircraft that has the same fuel efficiency and other deciding factors compared to the established market competitors from Europe and US it's simply going to be a miracle. If not, there is no incentive for, say Jeju Air or Korean Air to buy that Korean aircraft. So whose gonna buy it then? Japan was ambitious, they opted for something comparable to C series in terms of its performance. All composite fuselage was once discussed but dropped after all the delays. We know how it ended up.

Back to your point,

Yes, the aviation industry has recently been hit hard by the pandemic, but it is just outright dishonest and wrong to say there is no opportunity for Korean manufacturers to build commercial passenger aeroplanes for those profitable routes.

No, Bombardier pulling out of regional jet business and Embraer-Boeing business started before the pandemic, not after. It was just a global trend that the already market dominant Boeing and Airbus were starting to take notice in regional jet market all thanks to exponential growth of LCCs.

Its an investment that's likely going to take more than 20 years that's not gonna pay off and has a net negative outcome. How is Korea not going to become yet another Fokker but compete against Boeing and Aribus?

Also, KAI has changed its plan to building a new military transport aircraft for the ROKAF, not a commercial airliner. Like I've said before, commercial airliners are not crucial for national security but military cargo aircraft is.

I hope now that you understand that Korea does have market but not for turboprop or an aircraft with lower efficiency than Airbus or Boeing. That the taxpayer money from Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (who would have paid the government subsidies for an indigenous airliner) could be used wiser for something more crucial such as supporting fabless chip designing companies, something Korea lacks on. That time doesn't wait and the competition will only get tougher as Boeing, Airbus and China is entering the market.

What Korea does not lack is a long-term vision and ambition of developing local aerospace industries. What we do lack is funds and economy of size so that we could brute force like China.

You call it sour grapes but I call it realistic thinking. You just want to see new planes flying, that it's not your tax money but for me it's a different story.

Come back to me when any FCC or LCC in Korea buys a turboprop aircraft they phased out for regional routes. Else what I've said stands true.

So you've said that Korea, Japan and China should have followed the "Indonesian route"

Please, @dr.knowhow, that's a strawman argument. When did I say that? No need for quotation marks as I have never said "Indonesian route". I said Korea may learn a thing or two from Indonesia and this doesn't mean Korea should carbon-copy Indonesia's strategy. You comments on Korea of building EADS C212 is not something I suggested, but I have to clarify my position that I am very much in favour of designing & building indigenous utility & transport turboprop/turbofan military aircrafts that should eventually replace existing fleets of CN-235. You cannot seriously suggest that just having limited numbers of C-130 variants is good enough for Korean Airforce.

whose gonna buy it?
Many airlines which want to operate their flights from Korea for both domestic and international air routes. If the Korean government is bothered enough to push Korea's indigenous products by offering incentives to those airlines much as they are doing for other products made in Korea, it is entirely possibile, especially for those profitable domestic and international routes with relatively short distances. I will remind you that the route between Seoul and Jeju is the busiest air route in the world by a wide margin and some other routes within Korea and between neigbouring countries are on the same list as well. You implication that there is no market and no one is going to buy Korea-made aircrafts is more of sour grapes as you try to rationalize Korea's lack of ambition and vision of in aerospace industry. Yes, Japan has failed, not because they had no market nor technologies, but they mismanaged their project and is rocked by the global pandemic. Korea may learn from their mistakes, but it doesn't mean Korea is also bound to fail in developing indigenious aircrafts.

Its an investment that's likely going to take more than 20 years that's not gonna pay off and has a net negative outcome. How is Korea not going to become yet another Fokker but compete against Boeing and Aribus?

I am sure someone said very similar things in the past when Korea tried to build a highway and the automotive industry. I am sure they insisted that it wouldn't pay off. In fact, Korea is in the better position as they have money, technologies and humann resources to pull it off. Fokker? I think there is not a single air route from Schiphol Airport (or Netherlands) to anywhere in the world ranks in the top 10 businest air route in the world unless I am mistaken or even when Fokker folded. However, I think it would have been an interesting 'what if' Samsung had bought Fokker when the company had an opportunity.

Also, KAI has changed its plan to building a new military transport aircraft for the ROKAF, not a commercial airliner. Like I've said before, commercial airliners are not crucial for national security but military cargo aircraft is.

No, the company is still interested in developing both a commercial aircraft by utilizing a military cargo aircraft or vice versa. In fact, the industry cannot survive on incomes from military sales alone. Please note, that over 50% of KAI's revenues was generated from civilan sales in the last year. Sustainabilty of aerospace industry IS crucial for national security.

I hope you would understand that not all Made in Korea are best in the world, but they are still either employed by the government or pushed into private markets to protect her national interests. Why Aerospace industry is different? Espeically when KAI is still exploring an idea of developing a commercial aircarft. I don't disagree with you that Korea needs to spend more money to support fabless chip designing comapnies, but it shouldn't be a choice between two, but rather both industries should be on the list for investing.

In fact, I believe the pandemic presents a rare opportunity to late comers of aerospace industry. Many existing companies that have dominated the market are failing, inlcuding the industry's heavy weight, Boeing.

I am more than happy to discuss further if you can actually repuate my point that Korea has one of the busiest air route in the world and many other busy and profitable domestic and international air routes, which means there is clearly a market for Korea-made commerical aircrafts.

Come back to me when any FCC or LCC in Korea buys a turboprop aircraft they phased out for regional routes. Else what I've said stands true.

Again, this is strawman. I did not specifically say that Korea should build a turboprop aircraft only nor I have claimed that Korean airlines are buying turboprop aircrafts en masse. I am more than happy for Korea to build either turboprop or turbofans aircrarft for those profitable domestic & international air routes. However, it is the fact that KAI is still interested in turboprop aircrafts as their recent note indicates that Korean OEM Mid-size Civilian A/C is a turboprop aircraft. It seems like KAI may disagree with you assessment. Either ways, the domestic & international air routes from Korea will continue to present an opportunity for Korean aviation & aerospace industry. I again politely suggest you to repuate this point.

So far what you have offered seems like a very similar argument that Korean had argued why they shouldn't build a car industry many years ago when Korea actually had no market, no money, no enigneers and the automotive industry was dominated by Chrysler and others.

Last edited:
First of all, I should once more apologize to the forum members regarding the series of replies going off topic and thus withdrawing my previous statement that my last post would be the last one to do so.

Please, @dr.knowhow, that's a strawman argument. When did I say that? No need for quotation marks as I have never said "Indonesian route". I said Korea may learn a thing or two from Indonesia and this doesn't mean Korea should carbon-copy Indonesia's strategy. You comments on Korea of building EADS C212 is not something I suggested, but I have to clarify my position that I am very much in favour of designing & building indigenous utility & transport turboprop/turbofan military aircrafts that should eventually replace existing fleets of CN-235. You cannot seriously suggest that just having limited numbers of C-130 variants is good enough for Korean Airforce.

Many airlines which want to operate their flights from Korea for both domestic and international air routes. If the Korean government is bothered enough to push Korea's indigenous products by offering incentives to those airlines much as they are doing for other products made in Korea, it is entirely possibile, especially for those profitable domestic and international routes with relatively short distances. I will remind you that the route between Seoul and Jeju is the busiest air route in the world by a wide margin and some other routes within Korea and between neigbouring countries are on the same list as well. You implication that there is no market and no one is going to buy Korea-made aircrafts is more of sour grapes as you try to rationalize Korea's lack of ambition and vision of in aerospace industry. Yes, Japan has failed, not because they had no market nor technologies, but they mismanaged their project and is rocked by the global pandemic. Korea may learn from their mistakes, but it doesn't mean Korea is also bound to fail in developing indigenious aircrafts.

I am sure someone said very similar things in the past when Korea tried to build a highway and the automotive industry. I am sure they insisted that it wouldn't pay off. In fact, Korea is in the better position as they have money, technologies and humann resources to pull it off. Fokker? I think there is not a single air route from Schiphol Airport (or Netherlands) to anywhere in the world ranks in the top 10 businest air route in the world unless I am mistaken or even when Fokker folded. However, I think it would have been an interesting 'what if' Samsung had bought Fokker when the company had an opportunity.

No, the company is still interested in developing both a commercial aircraft by utilizing a military cargo aircraft or vice versa. In fact, the industry cannot survive on incomes from military sales alone. Please note, that over 50% of KAI's revenues was generated from civilan sales in the last year. Sustainabilty of aerospace industry IS crucial for national security.

I hope you would understand that not all Made in Korea are best in the world, but they are still either employed by the government or pushed into private markets to protect her national interests. Why Aerospace industry is different? Espeically when KAI is still exploring an idea of developing a commercial aircarft. I don't disagree with you that Korea needs to spend more money to support fabless chip designing comapnies, but it shouldn't be a choice between two, but rather both industries should be on the list for investing.

In fact, I believe the pandemic presents a rare opportunity to late comers of aerospace industry. Many existing companies that have dominated the market are failing, inlcuding the industry's heavy weight, Boeing.

I am more than happy to discuss further if you can actually repuate my point that Korea has one of the busiest air route in the world and many other busy and profitable domestic and international air routes, which means there is clearly a market for Korea-made commerical aircrafts.

Again, this is strawman. I did not specifically say that Korea should build a turboprop aircraft only nor I have claimed that Korean airlines are buying turboprop aircrafts en masse. I am more than happy for Korea to build either turboprop or turbofans aircrarft for those profitable domestic & international air routes. However, it is the fact that KAI is still interested in turboprop aircrafts as their recent note indicates that Korean OEM Mid-size Civilian A/C is a turboprop aircraft. It seems like KAI may disagree with you assessment. Either ways, the domestic & international air routes from Korea will continue to present an opportunity for Korean aviation & aerospace industry. I again politely suggest you to repuate this point.

So far what you have offered seems like a very similar argument that Korean had argued why they shouldn't build a car industry many years ago when Korea actually had no market, no money, no enigneers and the automotive industry was dominated by Chrysler and others.

Furthermore, I should then apologize to you as well @SgtGungHo, that there was my misunderstanding regarding your opinion.

Some excuses from my side is that, for me at least, the way you conveyed the Japanese and Chinese project was, say, a bit confusing in regards to that you were mentioning the size of the aircraft and setting Indonesia as the comparable model. Though it is also true that I have jumped to conclusion (that you were suggesting the East Asian countries should build a smaller aircraft, more specifically, something as small as the N219) too soon without concrete information.

Then again, I think it's safe to say both of us have quite some valid points here and there, although it might also be true that I am just a fox in front of the fence like you've said.

Funny(in a good way) how you have more optimism in Korea's aerospace industry as a foreigner than I do. (also I'm quite surprised for the amount of knowledge you have concerning these matters, like the failed Fokker-Samsung deal).

Back to the discussion, even after considering all those things you have pointed out (and yes, I do know that ICN-CJU and GMP-CJU routes are one of the busiest in the world and so are the few other routes connecting to nearby countries), I would still remain pessimistic.

Where we find ourselves disagreeing the most, at least from what I think, is if Korea would be able to sell those planes if they ever make one.

Once more, I agree there is no denying that the domestic market for Korean airlines for regional jets are present.

You are talking about government incentives for the aircraft but rest assured the development itself would include quite a huge sum of government subsidies in the first place. If it is really worth all that money, I'm not sure. That's the reason I've brought up the semiconductor industry as a comparison. It doesn't needs to be semiconductor but could be anything. Any industry that we could compare to the aerospace industry in terms of it economic ripple effect.

It's almost blatantly obvious that the Japanese and Chinese airlines would not buy a Korean plane so it's all up to the Korean airline industry to fill in their demands. If everything goes fine, breaking even will be easy and even making quite some profit would not be hard in the end. Though I'm not sure if that profit would ever be enough to justify all the investment. I guess you are but I've seen too many rosy dreams.

Let's say KAI has a bigger dream. Not only will they sell these aircraft to the Korean airlines but in international market in a bigger scale. How will it compete in the US market for example? How long will it take for it to achieve FAA approval? The extra cost of testing? Will it be able to succeed in the scope clause market like the E-jet did or will it face difficulties just like the CRJ? Wouldn't it be hard to fight against A220 in Europe?

The reason all this would matter is because the same argument would be brought up in the parliament, by the Ministry of Economy and Finance, by the citizen who have votes.

To your point that Korea lacks ambition, determination and long term plan, who exactly should have those? The MPs have their own background and industries they are related to, normal citizen would be happy riding the train to Busan and flying B737 to Osaka. Should we just hope for a president to show up who is somehow also an aerospace enthusiast?

You came up with the highways and cars Korea built and manufactured as an example but remember, those were the days when we had a dictator not an elected president. Same could be said to almost every important industry in Korea apart from the electronics industry. It was an easy question back then. Who should have ambition and determination? Mr. President. Simple.

With all that in mind, will it be easy for the government to pour more money into this already grandioso project?

The question is, do you think that a Korean commercial airliner could be sold, even domestically, without any additional government incentives?

You've said things made in Korea were employed by the government or pushed into private markets to protect her national interests and that is true historically, but on the other hand we also have cases like Surion when even governmental organizations like the police, CG and the fire department favored foreign models over it and only a handful were actually sold thanks to pressure from the upper echelon of the government.

I really am just not sure of all these uncertainties.

ps. About that plan of KAI,

I guess you also saw that presentation from KAI called "Status & Vision [...]" but I thought they were aiming for a jet powered OEM aircraft as seen in their image? That OEM thingy is a mere plan as of yet and what they actually are aiming for in the near-mid term is like I've said, a licensed, probably turboprop platform which they could use to build SOJ and MPA out of it and making a transport aircraft utilizing the expertise gathered throughout this process.

Last edited:
N 219 keep doing test flight. This is in Nusawiru, Pangandaran, West Java. PTDI use both his home base in Bandung and Nusawiru for N219 flying test. One of the reason of why Nusawiru is picked is because it is still in West Java but has less populated people, so much better in term of safety issue.

EeE0qE4UcAEElDv

Aircraft Component Testing Facility (LAPAN)
training-on-mastery-of-amphibious-technology-for-the-development-of-n219-aircraft-variant-21-638.jpg

N219 Amphibious program
upload_2020-7-31_3-57-35.png

Program and Planning (LAPAN)
upload_2020-7-31_4-7-37.png

GMF Aeroasia company profile. It is a state owned airplane MRO company and also the leading MRO company in Indonesia.

GMF AeroAsia gained a revenue of US$ 470 million last year
19 February 2019 11:49

JAKARTA. PT Garuda Maintenance Facility Aero Asia Tbk (GMFI) gained US$ 470 million in operating revenues throughout 2018. The revenue of the maintenance, repair & overhaul (MRO) company grew by 7% compared to 2017 (US$ 439 million).

Revenues earned from the Garuda Indonesia group reached 55%, while the rest of them came from other parties (outside the Garuda Indonesia group). In 2017, the revenue from other parties only reached 36%.

Iwan Joeniarto, Managing Director of GMF, said that the increase in other parties' revenues showed that GMF's consistency gained trust from airlines outside the group. "We continue to increase our revenue from other parties to prove that the quality and competitiveness of GMF should be considered in the MRO industry both at home and abroad," Iwan said in an official statement on Tuesday (19/2)

In addition, in 2018, GMF performance also showed a business shift which is in accordance with the company's work plan. This can be seen from the revenue from aircraft engine maintenance business segment which grew significantly by 61.5% year on year (YoY). "GMF gained revenues of US$ 116.5 million from aircraft engine maintenance. In addition, the growth was also experienced by the aircraft component business, which increased by 5.6% YoY," he said.

As a result, in 2018 GMF gained net profit of US$ 30.7 million. This figure is 40.06% lower compared to 2017 which reached US$ 50.95 million.

This decrease in profit was due to an increase in material cost which reached 28.04% to US$ 107.66 million and subcontractor cost which rose by 19.26% to US$ 113.83 million. (AM/AR)

https://www.idnfinancials.com/archi...-gained-a-revenue-of-US-470-million-last-year

The only university in Indonesia that has aerospace program is Bandung Institute of Technology, the best STEM university in Indonesia. It was built in 1920, during Dutch colonization. Aerospace program has been started around 1960's and Today the Aerospace program has bachelor, master, and doctorate programs. The university is owned by government of Indonesia. It is located in Bandung, West Java.

Bandung Institute Technology profile

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom