What's new

India's Mars mission sparks another UK aid row

Poor Little Rich Country
BY PATRICK FRENCH | JUNE 24, 2011

How do you categorize India, a nation that is at once fantastically wealthy and desperately poor?

india_4.jpg

In May, the Indian government announced that it was giving $5 billion in aid to African countries in the interest of helping them meet their development goals. "We do not have all the answers," Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said, "but we have some experience in nation-building, which we are happy to share."

The British could be forgiven for being annoyed with Singh's largesse. Britain, after all, currently gives more than $450 million a year in aid to India, and has plans to continue doing so for at least the next few years. The British economy is bumping in and out of a recession, while India's gross domestic product is growing at more than 8 percent a year. This has put the British government in the rather bizarre position of having to sell bonds in order to donate money to Asia's second-fastest-growing economy, even as the latter is itself getting into the philanthropy business.

The policy is unpopular with most of the British press, which argues that because India has a space program and some flamboyant billionaires, it does not need aid -- especially when Britain cannot really afford it. (When the Labour government was voted out at last year's general election, the departing Finance Minister Liam Byrne left a one-line note on his desk for his successor: "I'm afraid there is no money." It was a joke -- but it was also true.) Nevertheless, Britain still sees itself as a donor nation, with all the obligations and international prestige that entails. This comes in part from a sense of postcolonial guilt: Prime Minister David Cameron spoke recently of a "sense of duty to help others" and the "strong moral case" for giving aid.

The situation suggests just how dramatically the economic rise of Asia has undone centuries of experience, and the expectation that the West will retain the hegemony it has had for the past 400 years. It is increasingly difficult to classify whether a nation is rich or poor, and terms such as "the Global South" and "the Third World" have to be heavily qualified to take into account the fact that large sections of the population in countries like China, Brazil, and India now have a purchasing power matching that of people in "the West."

In 1951, the American diplomat Bill Bullitt described the condition of India in Life magazine: "An immense country containing 357 million people," he wrote, "with enormous natural resources and superb fighting men, India can neither feed herself nor defend herself against serious attacks. An inhabitant of India lives, on average, 27 years. His annual income is about $50. About 90 out of 100 Indians cannot read or write. They exist in squalor and fear of famine." Today, it would be hard to make such an absolute statement about India. Poverty certainly remains a chronic problem, but it exists alongside pockets of substantial wealth. An Indian's life expectancy at birth now stands at 67 years, and continues to rise. It is necessary perhaps to think in a different way, and to see that a country like India, like Schrödinger's cat, exists in at least two forms simultaneously: rich and poor.

The most important change of the last two decades, since the beginning of economic liberalization, has been the transformation of middle-class Indian aspiration. Although the stagnant days of the controlled economy and the "Permit Raj" -- when important decisions depended on a bureaucrat's authorization -- had their own stability, they also stifled opportunity and individual talent. Members of the professional middle class frequently preferred to seek their fortune in more meritocratic societies abroad.

The modern Indian middle class has a new chance to shape its own destiny in a way that was not previously possible. You can move to your own house using a home loan and live outside the joint family; you can buy a car that is not an Ambassador or a Fiat; you can travel abroad and see how people in other countries live; you can watch your politicians accept bribes or dance with prostitutes on television in local media sting operations while surfing your way to Desperate Housewives or Kaun Banega Crorepati, an Indian adaptation of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? Businesspeople who have succeeded on their own merits overseas, such as PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi, are presented as national heroes.

Poor Little Rich Country - By Patrick French | Foreign Policy

it's better for Britain that they donate their peanut to someone else. We really don't need this. But the same peanut is watermelon for others. I don't want to take the name of these countries, majority of member, who is blaming and making fun of india mars mission, they really need this donation.

well geez, if they can afford things like this, they should not receive any aid from anyone..

i know if it was my money i would not be happy about it... maybe india should suspend such programs and concentrate on poverty and other problems... it is only fair.... why should UK pay aid when they obviously just use it to have a mars mission... UK should suspend all aid and use it to have their own mars mission

Prime Minister David Cameron believes that if ever Britain were to have an Indian-origin Prime Minister, he or she would be from the Conservative Party.

“We were the first party to havea woman Prime Minister [Margaret Thatcher], we were the first party in [Benjamin] Disraeli to have a Jewish Prime Minister and when I look at the talent behind me I think we are going to be the first party to have a British Indian Prime Minister,” he boasted speaking at the launch of the Conservative Friends of India here.
Mr. Cameron praised the British Indian community for its contribution to its adopted country and said the Indians had the same values — strong family ties, sense of community and enterprise — as the Conservative Party.
“Shared values”
“The values that you bring are our shared values,'' he said, adding, “There are so many British Indians who had put in hard work to make Britain whatit is today.”
Addressing a hall packed with Indian immigrants — men in boring suits, women in designersaris and dresses — Mr. Cameronadmitted that the Conservativeshad not done enough to cultivate the Indian community.
“For too long, we just presumedthat they would join us on the basis of shared values, but we need to do more to bring them in,” he said.
The Conservative Friends of India — the brainchild of the Indian-origin peer Lord Dolar Popat — had his and his party's “100 per cent backing,” he declared describing it as the “start of a beautiful relationship.”
He said he was “proud” of his party's Indian-origin MPs and hoped that their numbers would grow in the coming years.
Mr. Cameron said his government attached huge importance to Britain's relationship with India. It was already “incredibly strong” but he wanted to make it the “strongest-ever.”
He said people often tended to think that the Indian economy was just based on call centres. “Nothing could be farther from the truth. The Indian economy is there as a dynamo to the world economy,” he said.
Mr. Cameron flagged up terrorism as an area where the two countries could work more closely to fight it. Both had beenvictims of terror attacks and needed to “stand up to together” to combat them.

The Hindu : News / National : First British Indian PM will be a Tory, says Cameron

The Hindu : News / National : First British Indian PM will be a Tory, says Cameron

Britain has the type of economic problems that if someone may take them out of their mess, British may offer him even Catherine also, I do have an experience :agree:. right now they are looking on India for a help and ready for anything Indians may negotiate from them :pop:

also, as prostitution is illegal in India but the Western born British/American people like Sunny Leone may come to India now. so I think, British would now start sending their women to india, (who usually change with many like Catherine who already had many in past), in the same way as Sunny Leone. the british women, who may first earn little bit like Sunny Leone to help the falling British economy. and at the same time, when one of their prostitute type women get pregnant, then British would make that kid, the future British Prime Minister :cheers:

Long ago India rejected this aid as "peenut".This is not aid from UK to the people
of Republic of India.This is Aid deplomacy.

well geez, if they can afford things like this, they should not receive any aid from anyone..

i know if it was my money i would not be happy about it... maybe india should suspend such programs and concentrate on poverty and other problems... it is only fair.... why should UK pay aid when they obviously just use it to have a mars mission... UK should suspend all aid and use it to have their own mars mission

Long ago India rejected this aid as "peenut".This is not aid from UK to the people
of Republic of India.This is Aid deplomacy.

If India doesn't want our aid, stop it now, Cameron told after country labels £280m-a-year donations as 'peanuts'

David Cameron was under intense pressure last night to slash the £1billion in aid Britain gives to India after the country said it no longer wanted the money.

India's finance minister Pranab Mukherjee said the booming country should 'voluntarily' give up the £280million a year it receives from Britain.

He told the Indian parliament: 'We do not require the aid. It is a peanut in our total development spending.'

It also emerged that in a leaked memo dating from 2010 India's then foreign minister Nirupama Rao suggested India should not accept any further aid from Britain's Department for International Development because of the 'negative publicity of Indian poverty promoted by DFID'.

Sources in Delhi suggested British officials begged India to accept the aid. :tsk: One commented: 'They said British ministers had spent political capital justifying the aid to their electorate.

The timing of the latest revelations is particularly embarrassing for ministers, coming in the wake of India's decision last week to reject the British-built Typhoon fighter jet as preferred candidate for a £13billion defence deal. :meeting:

British foreign aid: India tells Britain 'we don't need the peanuts you offer us' | Mail Online

it's better for Britain that they donate their peanut to someone else. We really don't need this. But the same peanut is watermelon for others. I don't want to take the name of these countries, majority of member, who is blaming and making fun of india mars mission, they really need this donation.

check my post #256, in the language of their own Foreign Policy Expert, what British had done with India till 1951 and where India stands right now? and, why would we help them to bring India in the state of 1947 again??????

after my valuable experience with the British Origin Politicians of US/UK/Australia/Canada, I always advice that, "if you find snakes and a British origin Politician/Diplomat then first kill that British Origin Politician/Diplomat and later think for the snakes." no one would give his hands to 'evil intentions' of British origin politicians of US/UK/Australia/Canada....:disagree:

there is no meaning to cheat ourselves and giving space to these snakes will only harm India, the nation and its people. like, if they offer little bit aid for the poor then its simply means that they want to cheat you on the other side, you get the point? while Indian Middle Class itself pay heavy subsidies for its poor, then why you need foreign interference in your country :undecided:

check, what British had done with India till 1951 (1947):

:lol: you would think for a country that has more poverty than Africa would give first priority to increasing the living standards, but not the Indian regime. I can understand building a military for protection (even though they are spending way beyond what they would need), but I just cannot get my head around all the moon and mars missions. All to massage the ego.

To make things worse, India is still a net debtor nation, runs a large current account deficit, rising debt levels, currency is collapsing. You would think first priority would be to cut spending and sort out the economic troubles, but not the Indian regime. They want global fame all the while their people suffer and the economy goes down the drain.
Congratzzz!!!
You just earned 50 cents+50% bonus(for using words like India is still a net debtor nation, runs a large current account deficit, rising debt levels, currency is collapsing)

You earn heck of a lot of money by writing BS here while we have to really burn our brains for earning our daily bread.I am really getting so jealous of you

Pathetic Chinese Jokers ruin every thread on this forum while even their kids are planned by Chinese communist party:rofl:

India's Mars mission is a puff of hot air。

It is NOT going to happen in 2013 or in 2023.

So what's the big fuss?:azn:
Only 25 cents for you .Next time use words like India is still a net debtor nation, runs a large current account deficit, rising debt levels, currency is collapsing,,dalits

$280 million is
peanuts.jpg
for a $1.8 trillion economy

The British did not divided British India into Pakistan and India. Its the choice of the people. Actually, India illegally occupied princely state of Hyderabad. Read up on operation Polo to learn the illegal invasion that should be condemned and rectified.
A damned monarch wanted to stay as a british dominion.
People wanted to join India.
Do you know any thing about democracy???

Poor Little Rich Country
BY PATRICK FRENCH | JUNE 24, 2011

How do you categorize India, a nation that is at once fantastically wealthy and desperately poor?

india_4.jpg

In May, the Indian government announced that it was giving $5 billion in aid to African countries in the interest of helping them meet their development goals. "We do not have all the answers," Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said, "but we have some experience in nation-building, which we are happy to share."

The British could be forgiven for being annoyed with Singh's largesse. Britain, after all, currently gives more than $450 million a year in aid to India, and has plans to continue doing so for at least the next few years. The British economy is bumping in and out of a recession, while India's gross domestic product is growing at more than 8 percent a year. This has put the British government in the rather bizarre position of having to sell bonds in order to donate money to Asia's second-fastest-growing economy, even as the latter is itself getting into the philanthropy business.

The policy is unpopular with most of the British press, which argues that because India has a space program and some flamboyant billionaires, it does not need aid -- especially when Britain cannot really afford it. (When the Labour government was voted out at last year's general election, the departing Finance Minister Liam Byrne left a one-line note on his desk for his successor: "I'm afraid there is no money." It was a joke -- but it was also true.) Nevertheless, Britain still sees itself as a donor nation, with all the obligations and international prestige that entails. This comes in part from a sense of postcolonial guilt: Prime Minister David Cameron spoke recently of a "sense of duty to help others" and the "strong moral case" for giving aid.

The situation suggests just how dramatically the economic rise of Asia has undone centuries of experience, and the expectation that the West will retain the hegemony it has had for the past 400 years. It is increasingly difficult to classify whether a nation is rich or poor, and terms such as "the Global South" and "the Third World" have to be heavily qualified to take into account the fact that large sections of the population in countries like China, Brazil, and India now have a purchasing power matching that of people in "the West."

In 1951, the American diplomat Bill Bullitt described the condition of India in Life magazine: "An immense country containing 357 million people," he wrote, "with enormous natural resources and superb fighting men, India can neither feed herself nor defend herself against serious attacks. An inhabitant of India lives, on average, 27 years. His annual income is about $50. About 90 out of 100 Indians cannot read or write. They exist in squalor and fear of famine." Today, it would be hard to make such an absolute statement about India. Poverty certainly remains a chronic problem, but it exists alongside pockets of substantial wealth. An Indian's life expectancy at birth now stands at 67 years, and continues to rise. It is necessary perhaps to think in a different way, and to see that a country like India, like Schrödinger's cat, exists in at least two forms simultaneously: rich and poor.

The most important change of the last two decades, since the beginning of economic liberalization, has been the transformation of middle-class Indian aspiration. Although the stagnant days of the controlled economy and the "Permit Raj" -- when important decisions depended on a bureaucrat's authorization -- had their own stability, they also stifled opportunity and individual talent. Members of the professional middle class frequently preferred to seek their fortune in more meritocratic societies abroad.

The modern Indian middle class has a new chance to shape its own destiny in a way that was not previously possible. You can move to your own house using a home loan and live outside the joint family; you can buy a car that is not an Ambassador or a Fiat; you can travel abroad and see how people in other countries live; you can watch your politicians accept bribes or dance with prostitutes on television in local media sting operations while surfing your way to Desperate Housewives or Kaun Banega Crorepati, an Indian adaptation of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? Businesspeople who have succeeded on their own merits overseas, such as PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi, are presented as national heroes.

YOur history books dont teach how CHina and INdia both were very rich? It takes time but we will catch up....dont worry about us...worry about yourself....Why not provide solutions to our problems.

It seems like British brain has contracted just like their empire.They think that India is run by their $200 million aid:rofl:
Boom! Indian space scientists watch in horror as rocket explodes minutes after take-off | Mail Online
look at the top rated comments....

'All our Aid up in smoke in one fell swoop .'

'That's what I call a multi million pound firework show, all indirectly paid for by us.'

'surprise surprise, It usually lifts off the coast of bay of bengal and falls into the Arabian sea. This time it is worse ,into bay of bengal itself!'

'They developed nuclear weapons and now space rockets all with our foreign aid. If they spend money on such things THEY DO NOT need our money, that foreign aid should be stopped and spent on the UK.'

'And these are the self-proclaimed techno-geniuses that Vince Cable claims are so vital to our economic future? The ones who gave us all those wonderfully successful public I.T projects and the Commonwealth Games?'

'Can we stop giving them foreign aid now?'

'Better send them some more foreign aid then!!!!'

'well at least our next 1BN UKP Aid will help to build another rocket!!! Why when a country can afford these luxuries do we still pay them AID. Stop all monies to any country which HAS an army (weapons are expensive), Jets (expensive) and Nuclear anything ( Ships, Power Stations). If they can afford these ( we cant at the moment) then we should NOT BE SENDING ANY MONEY joolz'

'Yeah, well, after living in India for almost a decade, I'm used to this kind of stuff-up on every level, every day. No biggie over here, folks!'

What do British Cheerleaders here say about this???

It seems like British brain has contracted just like their empire.They think that India is run by their $200 million aid:rofl:
Boom! Indian space scientists watch in horror as rocket explodes minutes after take-off | Mail Online
look at the top rated comments....

'All our Aid up in smoke in one fell swoop .'

'That's what I call a multi million pound firework show, all indirectly paid for by us.'

'surprise surprise, It usually lifts off the coast of bay of bengal and falls into the Arabian sea. This time it is worse ,into bay of bengal itself!'

'They developed nuclear weapons and now space rockets all with our foreign aid. If they spend money on such things THEY DO NOT need our money, that foreign aid should be stopped and spent on the UK.'

'And these are the self-proclaimed techno-geniuses that Vince Cable claims are so vital to our economic future? The ones who gave us all those wonderfully successful public I.T projects and the Commonwealth Games?'

'Can we stop giving them foreign aid now?'

'Better send them some more foreign aid then!!!!'

'well at least our next 1BN UKP Aid will help to build another rocket!!! Why when a country can afford these luxuries do we still pay them AID. Stop all monies to any country which HAS an army (weapons are expensive), Jets (expensive) and Nuclear anything ( Ships, Power Stations). If they can afford these ( we cant at the moment) then we should NOT BE SENDING ANY MONEY joolz'

'Yeah, well, after living in India for almost a decade, I'm used to this kind of stuff-up on every level, every day. No biggie over here, folks!'

What do British Cheerleaders here say about this???

We told them....we don't need it....... but they still provide it......We won't mind it
Rap.gif

I have said it once。 And I shall say it again:India's Mars Mission is NOT going to happen in 2013!

So stop the trash talking and get back to work。:azn:

I have said it once。 And I shall say it again:India's Mars Mission is NOT going to happen in 2013!

So stop the trash talking and get back to work。:azn:
Do you know what is the full of HTPB?what is the formula for oirbital velocity?
now dont search google/baidu:lol:
Do you think you are the Space technology expert here...
He is celebrating coz he got a NOC from Chinese government for having kids.:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom