What's new

Indianisms - Common errors we make in English

The list is endless... we Indians are unstoppable..

1. Paining

This is definitely at the top of my list. I hear this word everyday… “my head is paining”, “I have paining in my back”. My ears feel a little pain every time I hear it. I had a long discussion with my Hindi teacher about the word “paining” after she used it to translate a phrase from Hindi to English. A literal translation would have been “pain is happening to me”, but the translation in correct English is “I am in pain”. These differences in the way English and Hindi are put together is probably what has given rise to this new word.

2. Eve Teasing

For completely different reasons, I find the term “Eve Teasing” to be quite offensive. It effectively means the harassment of women, whether that be verbal or physical abuse. However calling harassment “Eve Teasing” merely makes it sound like it is a lesser offence than it is.

3. Loosies

When I went through my 6 weeks of gastroenteritis, let’s just say I experienced way too many loosies! During that time I went on a conference in Sikkim and unfortunately was quite unwell. My colleagues took such good care of me, but I did find it rather confronting to be asked every hour “have you done another loosie? How many loosies have you done today?”.

4. Prepone ( Among theTop of the Pops )

I must admit, the first time I heard this word it actually took me a while to understand what it meant. To “prepone” something means to bring it forward (rather than postponing it). When you think of it that way, I guess it is actually a logical evolution of language.

5. Felt Up

This phrase gave me one of the best laughs I have had in ages this week. In an email I was reading at work, quite a senior member of a large corporate said “I have felt up some of my colleagues and we have decided….”. For their sake, I hope their colleagues don’t lay a sexual harassment suit on them!

6. Today Afternoon

This one is definitely just a direct translation from Hindi to English, for example “I will see you today afternoon” rather than “this afternoon”.

7. To do the needful

I don’t have a need to do much, but if you want something done here, then apparently it is “needful”. According to Wikipedia (Do the needful - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) this is an old English phrase that seems to have remained part of the language in India, whilst disappearing from the Queen’s English.

8. The same

This phrase drives me nuts! Rather than refer to something that has previously been referred to as “it”, “it” is referred to as “the same”. Confused? Here is an example I saw recently: “I do not understand what you mean, please revert regarding the same”

9. Updation

No that’s not “updated” or “updating” but rather something that needs “updation”. One of my current consulting roles involves working for an event where people have to update specific information about themselves every day, so I hear this word several times a day, which is probably why it has made my top 10.

10. Clicking a picture

Last, but certainly not least, this is one of the few Indian English terms that has now permeated my language and I love it. Rather than “taking a picture” you “click a picture”. Even in the age of digital cameras, my camera still makes that great clicking sound…. So yes I now click pictures too.

..and here is another side.

Ten Amusing Reasons Why English is Difficult

We polish the Polish furniture.

He could lead if he would get the lead out.

A farm can produce produce.

The dump was so full it had to refuse refuse.

The soldier decided to desert in the desert.

The present is a good time to present the present.

The dove dove into the bushes.

I did not object to the object.

The insurance for the invalid was invalid.

Many of these sound familiar, although I have learned the correct usage of quite a few of them now. Another mistake that I see often, even here on pdf is that many Indians don't know the difference between "few" and "a few". They use "few" to mean "a few".

We all I am sure are familiar with these - One sees them every day.

- Entry From Backside Only, refers to a phrase commonly used on signposts in India to indicate the rear entrance of a building !

- Teachress - a female teacher.

-Timepass - a trivial activity that passes the time.

-She freaked out last night - she had a good time.

-So & So has left for his heavenly above - a death notice.

-Hue and Cry notice - title of police missing person newspaper advertisement.

-Don't do nuisance in public - government admonition against urinating in public

Some Inlish Abbreviations

Subsi = subsidiary

Supli = supplementary

Soopi = superintendent

Princi = principle

Gen. Sec. or G. Sec. = General Secretary

Soc. Sec. = Social Secretary

Lab *** = laboratory assistant

We all I am sure are familiar with these - One sees them every day.

- Entry From Backside Only, refers to a phrase commonly used on signposts in India to indicate the rear entrance of a building !

- Teachress - a female teacher.

-Timepass - a trivial activity that passes the time.

-She freaked out last night - she had a good time.

-So & So has left for his heavenly above - a death notice.

-Hue and Cry notice - title of police missing person newspaper advertisement.

-Don't do nuisance in public - government admonition against urinating in public

Some Inlish Abbreviations

Subsi = subsidiary

Supli = supplementary

Soopi = superintendent

Princi = principle

Gen. Sec. or G. Sec. = General Secretary

Soc. Sec. = Social Secretary

Lab *** = laboratory assistant
Dont worry my friend English is not our mother tongue. I realised this fact after travelling to different parts of world, we Indian and Pakistanis try to speak or write perfect english. No other country bothers; bottom line is to convey your point of view correctly.

The list is endless... we Indians are unstoppable..

1. Paining

This is definitely at the top of my list. I hear this word everyday… “my head is paining”, “I have paining in my back”. My ears feel a little pain every time I hear it. I had a long discussion with my Hindi teacher about the word “paining” after she used it to translate a phrase from Hindi to English. A literal translation would have been “pain is happening to me”, but the translation in correct English is “I am in pain”. These differences in the way English and Hindi are put together is probably what has given rise to this new word.

This particular thing reminded me of one incident. One of my friend used to ask the teacher whenever he has stomach ache or pretend to "Sir, my stomach is head aching"!!

I am working with a renowned UK bank, during our voice n accent training we had a special session for Indianisms.

I see a lot of Indians/Pakistanis using "than" in place of "then".

Using double past tense like "I did went there".

Indianism at work..

MYz7w21.jpg

Indian English is an embarrassment. Hamari Pakistani Angrezi ko be badnaam kar daitay ho.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom