What's new

Indian Space Capabilities

ISRO aborts GSLV-D5 launch after fuel leak

Following the detection of a fuel leakage barely an hour from lift-off, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) aborted its Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV), the GSLV-D5 mission that was to place in orbit the advanced communication satellite GSAT-14, from the Sriharikota spaceport.

The leakage was reportedly noticed during the loading of liquid propellants for the second stage. The 49-metre tall GSLV-D5 adopts a three-stage fuel cycle---the core solid stage, four liquid propellant strap-ons and second stage and a cryogenic upper stage.

This is the third straight time that the ISRO is being caught up in a cryogenic nemesis with its previous two GSLV missions with a home-wired cryogenic upper stage -- in April and December 2010 -- ending in failure.

"The countdown was progressing well, but about two before lift-off, we observed a leak in the fuel systems. Because of this, we are calling off the launch," ISRO Chairman K. Radhakrishnan later told a press conference.

A new date, Dr. Radhakrishnan said, would be finalised only after the ISRO team undertook a detailed assessment to identify the cause of the leak and the actions that need to be taken.

The immediate task of the ISRO team was to drain out the liquid propellants that was loaded for the second stage and the four liquid L40 strap-ons of the rocket. The GSLV-D5 has been hauled back to Vehicle Assembly Building.

ISRO aborts GSLV-D5 launch after fuel leak - The Hindu

Crap - more bad news :(

It would be at least two months before the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle D5 (GSLV D5) blasts off from Sriharikota despite a dismayed Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) working overtime to figure out what went wrong last Monday.

“Even if the defect is found to be a minor one, it would take at least two months. The stages (GSLV is a three-stage rocket) have to be dismantled for examination. If it’s a major problem, it might take longer,’’ an ISRO source said from Sriharikota.

Another factor that will have a say in deciding the new launch date is the forthcoming north-east monsoon. The August 19 launch had to be aborted less than two hours to lift-off after a fuel leak was detected in the second stage.

GSLV re-launch will take several months | idrw.org

It would be at least two months before the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle D5 (GSLV D5) blasts off from Sriharikota despite a dismayed Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) working overtime to figure out what went wrong last Monday.

“Even if the defect is found to be a minor one, it would take at least two months. The stages (GSLV is a three-stage rocket) have to be dismantled for examination. If it’s a major problem, it might take longer,’’ an ISRO source said from Sriharikota.

Another factor that will have a say in deciding the new launch date is the forthcoming north-east monsoon. The August 19 launch had to be aborted less than two hours to lift-off after a fuel leak was detected in the second stage.

GSLV re-launch will take several months | idrw.org

They will strip it and check it. Good , I don't want a F%^&*(g Long March fiasco in India.

girte hain sheh sawar hi maidan e jung mein........ :yahoo:

have faith man

I know they will correct it overtime .

But I am just sad that we will have to wait some more months to see the launch again .

According to ISRO it will take atleast 2 months , even if the defect is minor .

They will strip it and check it. Good , I don't want a F%^&*(g Long March fiasco in India.

China long march rocket is one of safest in the world. The last mishap is in 1996 while the last US rocket blow up in 2008, Russia in 2013 and India in 2011.

There is even EUROPE space agency intending to ask China rocket for manned mission to ISS in case Russia rocket screw up. Only the biased US is the one opposing it.

That or this :

Trying to use a 1996 old mishap to serve your agenda? Let me ask you is that any Chinese rocket blow up after that?

Let me update you. 2011 Indian rocket blow up. We chinese rocket are far safer and mature than yours. Agenda fail

Last edited by a moderator:
China long march rocket is one of safest in the world. The last mishap is in 1996 while the last US rocket blow up in 2008, Russia in 2013 and India in 2011.

There is even EUROPE space agency intending to ask China rocket for manned mission to ISS in case Russia rocket screw up. Only the biased US is the one opposing it.

Trying to use a 1996 to serve your agenda?

Let me update you. 2011 Indian rocket blow up. We chinese rocket are far safer and mature than yours. Agenda fail

Mate, there's a difference between a launch failure.

And a launch failure causing the deaths of hundreds of civilians.

Please don't draw a parallel when there isn't one.

Trying to use a 1996 old mishap to serve your agenda? Let me ask you is that any Chinese rocket blow up after that?

Your rockets blowed up in 2010 and 2011 .

And the last Indian rocket failure was in 2010 .

Are you really that naive?? you think CPC propaganda machinery will allow such news to get out? They were unlucky in 1996 due to presence of foreign delegates from the sat company.

I wonder how can one be so careless to build a rocket without range safety measures when the launch complex is situated inland with civilian population in the surroundings??

Back
Top Bottom