What's new

Indian Navys first UAV squadron in place

miroslav

BANNED
Reaction score
Navy's first UAV squadron in place

We are now among the pioneers in UAV operations at sea: Admiral Arun Prakash
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* UAVs play a large role in maritime reconnaissance that is of paramount importance, it is pointed out
* The UAVs can be operated from any location and controlled from specially equipped ships
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KOCHI: The Indian Navy is among the first few in the world to induct Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) which enhance the force's surveillance capability, the Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Arun Prakash has said.

He was speaking after commissioning the first UAV Squadron (Indian Naval Air Squadron 342 comprising 12 Israeli-built Herons and Searcher Mark IIs) at the Southern Naval Command here on Friday.

"To maintain order at sea, it is imperative that we have a clear and continuous picture of what is happening in the waters around us. Maritime reconnaissance is thus of paramount importance to the Navy, as much in peacetime, as during hostilities. It is here that UAVs play a major role. The UAVs' small but potent sensor captures clear images of men and objects." The ability to operate these flying machines from remote locations, without a pilot, goes a long way in enhancing the surveillance capability of the Navy. The Squadron carries the sobriquet `Flying Sentinels' and is commanded by Cdr. R Kawatra.

The UAVs were inducted into the Navy at Kochi in early 2003 for the Intensive Flying and Trials Unit.

Admiral Prakash said the Indian Navy was one of the first to operate the UAVs out in the sea in a tropical environment where there is heavy rainfall. "After three years of intensive flying trials, we are now among the pioneers in the esoteric art of UAV operations at sea. INAS 342 is going to be an asset, which will enhance our maritime domain awareness manifold. The UAVs can be operated from any shore location and can be controlled from specially equipped ships. They can carry out reconnaissance hundreds of miles out at sea. This is yet another landmark in the growing friendship and cooperation between India and Israel," he said.

He said 53 years ago the first aviation unit of the Indian Navy was commissioned at the air station in Kochi. It is now called INS Garuda. "Since then, the Navy's aviation arm has made tremendous strides and honed its skills in, among other things, ship-borne anti-submarine warfare and airborne early warning. Naval aviation has kept pace in every way with the growth in stature and capability of the Navy to fulfil its role of safeguarding the country's maritime interests. The seas around the Indian peninsula have intense shipping activity. It is therefore essential that peace and tranquillity prevail on the sea lanes," said Admiral Prakash.

He inspected a ceremonial guard of honour. His wife, Kumkum Prakash, president of the Navy Wives Welfare Association, unveiled the commissioning plaque and formally named the UAV unit INAS 342.

Link

Miro

<div class='bbimg'>
746955de10e2cb4cc53706435e5ff46a.jpg
</div>

A Searcher-II UAV of the Indian Navy lies on static display. The UAV is used for surveillance and maritime recon duties. Behind the Searcher, a HAL Chetak search & rescue helicopter and a Do-228 maritime recon aircraft lie parked.

Miro

Originally posted by akula@Jan 12 2006, 03:53 AM
<div class='bbimg'></div>
[post=5294]Quoted post[/post]​

This was the pic I was looking for.

I had it in B&W.

Thanks for sharing it.

Miro

Originally posted by miroslav@Jan 15 2006, 11:35 AM
This was the pic I was looking for.

I had it in B&W.

Thanks for sharing it.

Miro
[post=5372]Quoted post[/post]​

Searcher II, isn&#39;t Isreali UAV? Are these UAVs some where near Pakistan if yes where?

Thanks

Originally posted by WebMaster@Jan 16 2006, 01:17 AM
Searcher II, isn&#39;t Isreali UAV? Are these UAVs some where near Pakistan if yes where?

Thanks
[post=5387]Quoted post[/post]​

Searchers are with service in IAF/IA/IN.

Some of the IAF/IA searchers are close to PAK borders and keep flying there missions near Pakistani terretory.

You must be remembering PA/PAF shooting down a Searcher-II

Miro

Originally posted by miroslav@Jan 16 2006, 01:29 PM
Searchers are with service in IAF/IA/IN.

Some of the IAF/IA searchers are close to PAK borders and keep flying there missions near Pakistani terretory.

You must be remembering PA/PAF shooting down a Searcher-II

Miro
[post=5411]Quoted post[/post]​

Is there any UAV unit near Bangladesh border for a check of illegal border crossing etc?

Originally posted by WebMaster@Jan 17 2006, 03:09 AM
Is there any UAV unit near Bangladesh border for a check of illegal border crossing etc?
[post=5417]Quoted post[/post]​

I am not sure but even if there is any it doesn&#39;t gonna help.

There is a lot of corruption in BDR and BSF.

Thanks,

Miro

Originally posted by Yahya@Jan 17 2006, 08:29 PM
yes they are both isreali UAVs.
[post=5437]Quoted post[/post]​

What both??

I guess we were only talking about Searcher-II

Miro

Originally posted by miroslav@Jan 17 2006, 03:42 PM
What both??

I guess we were only talking about Searcher-II

Miro
[post=5441]Quoted post[/post]​

He probably meant Heron and Searcher II. Dont you think india is doing wrong by importing UAVs rather than building its own? Like Pakistan. :army:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom