What's new

Indian Navy to purchase 16 US multi-role choppers for $1 bn

@Rikbo
sir, actually that is the tragedy with entire public procurement system in India. in real world you cannot expect a bidder to wait indefinitely while you take your own sweet time to decide. while a buyer has rights so has the seller.
recently government cleared a proposal to get 5 more C5 heavy lifters after a leisurely speed of clearing. all this w

@Rikbo

Sir, I had chosen to not reply to your comment from a few days back as this is one procurement that is DESPERATELY needed but is/was looking all to close to collapse. Now, it is my Beleif, there are reasons to be optimistic. I'm sure you have seen the fact the GoI has cleared the purchase of AH-64E and CH-47F helos which, I believe, was the litmus test for this S-70B procurement. If the aforementioned deals had been scrapped then the S-70B deal would also likely be axed. However the CCS (headed by the PM) has now cleared these two deals and I am certain the S-70B deal will follow in a matter of weeks. Strangely the Apache and Chinook deals have been linked together and have passed through all levels of clearance (DAC,Fin Min and now CCS) as one whilst the S-70B deal remains an outlier. The S-70B deal was granted DAC clearance by this new govt after the AH-64E and CH-47F deals so it is reasonable to expect CCS clearance that bit later. I'm sure the MoD and Sirkorsky are coming to some sort of agreeable terms as we speak.

It shouldn't be much longer now.......

@Rikbo

Sir, I had chosen to not reply to your comment from a few days back as this is one procurement that is DESPERATELY needed but is/was looking all to close to collapse. Now, it is my Beleif, there are reasons to be optimistic. I'm sure you have seen the fact the GoI has cleared the purchase of AH-64E and CH-47F helos which, I believe, was the litmus test for this S-70B procurement. If the aforementioned deals had been scrapped then the S-70B deal would also likely be axed. However the CCS (headed by the PM) has now cleared these two deals and I am certain the S-70B deal will follow in a matter of weeks. Strangely the Apache and Chinook deals have been linked together and have passed through all levels of clearance (DAC,Fin Min and now CCS) as one whilst the S-70B deal remains an outlier. The S-70B deal was granted DAC clearance by this new govt after the AH-64E and CH-47F deals so it is reasonable to expect CCS clearance that bit later. I'm sure the MoD and Sirkorsky are coming to some sort of agreeable terms as we speak.

It shouldn't be much longer now.......
That is music to my ears @Abingdonboy. Thanks for sharing and I will keep my fingers crossed!

That is music to my ears @Abingdonboy. Thanks for sharing and I will keep my fingers crossed!
@Abingdonboy - now hearing some things on my end that this contract is moving towards finalization. Seems both parties are ironing things out and coming to agreement on terms and financials. Keeping my fingers crossed!

@Abingdonboy - now hearing some things on my end that this contract is moving towards finalization. Seems both parties are ironing things out and coming to agreement on terms and financials. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Such welcome news sir! This is a procurement that is critical to the IN's ambitions and that has received little attention from the media (whilst other deals receive disproportionate attention). Let's hope for some (very) good news soon.

Any ideas on delivery timelines? I know that 36 months is the latest the Indian military usually asks for its new purchase to be delivered by but there have been many occasions (particularly where the US is involved) where products have been delivered sooner than this deadline.

I'm interested in the Ballastic missile defence shield, than anything in the world.

Such welcome news sir! This is a procurement that is critical to the IN's ambitions and that has received little attention from the media (whilst other deals receive disproportionate attention). Let's hope for some (very) good news soon.

Any ideas on delivery timelines? I know that 36 months is the latest the Indian military usually asks for its new purchase to be delivered by but there have been many occasions (particularly where the US is involved) where products have been delivered sooner than this deadline.
It will be at least 36 months. A ton of development work to be done. All depends on how many options they sign up for. Like will they require a new anti-ship missile, among other things.

It will be at least 36 months. A ton of development work to be done. All depends on how many options they sign up for. Like will they require a new anti-ship missile, among other things.
Is there a chance of custom build s-70 for IN as we still have a requirement for 100+ ? (co-dev/co-prod)

Is there a chance of custom build s-70 for IN as we still have a requirement for 100+ ? (co-dev/co-prod)
Have not heard anything although I am sure Sikorsky would love to see a proposal for what they need. I assume you are speaking of a Blackhawk type of helo or are you referring to the follow on order for additional naval hawks?

Back
Top Bottom