What's new

Indian Navy set to get Boeing P-8i Poseidons

Well the US expects them in 2013-14 And they need 108 so lets say the first 50 or so go to the USN. Then tier one countries then other buyers. I am gonna say 2017-18 minimum for the IN

We are the first ones to order them other than the USN.

Well the US expects them in 2013-14 And they need 108 so lets say the first 50 or so go to the USN. Then tier one countries then other buyers. I am gonna say 2017-18 minimum for the IN
Which tier one countries?
India is the only country apart from the US to be operating it. 1st one comes within 48 months, rest within 2015.

400 new planes for the Navy.

Was that a misprint surely 40 not 400
I also think 400 are too much, but it will be definitely more than 40. If you take to account that IN will have 2-3 new carriers each with around 30 aircrafts, 8x P8, 6 x medium maritime patrol aircraft, around 20 ASW helicopters, 60 light observation helicopter, 30-40 transport helicopter to replace westland sea king, Saras were ordered from the navy too. That would be a number of around 250 aircrafts and I'm sure there will be more.

Indian Comms Systems Delivered for India's P-8Is
By VIVEK RAGHUVANSHI
Published: 12 May 2010 12:54

NEW DELHI - India's state-owned Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL) has begun supplying communication technology to Chicago-based Boeing to outfit the P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft the U.S. company is building for the Indian Navy.

A Boeing executive here said his company had received the communications equipment for the P-8I ahead of schedule.

BEL delivered the Indian-designed Data Link II, a communications system that will enable exchange of tactical data and messages among Indian Navy aircraft, ships and shore establishments. Boeing will install the system during P-8I final assembly at its facility in Renton, Wash., the Boeing executive said.

India inked the $2.1 billion deal with Boeing for eight customized P-8A Maritime Multi-Mission Aircraft, designated P-8I, in January 2009. India will get its first P-8I in late of 2012 or early 2013, with delivery of the remaining seven aircraft expected by 2015-16. India is the first international customer for the P-8 aircraft.

Indian Comms Systems Delivered for India's P-8Is - Defense News

1004577-003_P8I_med.jpg

[Excerpts from a Boeing press release]: WICHITA, Kan., Dec. 7, 2010 -- The Boeing P-8I team began fabricating the first part for the Indian navy's first long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft on Dec. 6 in Wichita. The P-8I, based on the Boeing Next-Generation 737 commercial airplane, is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the U.S. Navy.

Employees at Spirit AeroSystems -- where all Boeing Next-Generation 737 fuselages, nacelles and pylons are designed and built -- cut the P-8I's first part, a bonded aluminum panel that later will be installed on the fuselage's upper lobe to support an antenna. The panel and other fuselage components will come together on Spirit's existing Next-Generation 737 production line.

Spirit will ship the P-8I fuselage to a Boeing Commercial Airplanes facility in Renton, Wash., in mid-2011 for final assembly. After that, Boeing Defense, Space & Security employees will install mission systems and complete testing prior to delivery to India.

Boeing will deliver the first of eight P-8I aircraft to India within 48 months of the original contract signing, which took place in January 2009. India is the first international customer for the P-8

Actually guys the Indian version is called P-8i Orion and the US version is called P-8a Poseidon.

I think you are getting confused with the old Lockheed Martin P-3 Orion which the Boeing P-8 Poseidon is replacing. Both the US P-8A and the Indian P-8I are called Poseidon. Why would the US want to come up with a whole new name for an Indian version?

good news for india.....not so good news for Pakistan :)

but i'm sure that despite the lack of parity (in terms of naval budget, fleet size per class etc.) we'll have an answer for them shortly

you know how it works

but i'm sure that despite the lack of parity (in terms of naval budget, fleet size per class etc.) we'll have an answer for them shortly

you know how it works

The Only probable Answer to this is a good BVR Aircraft for the Navy on an Aircraft Carrier which Could Carry Missiles Ranging 200-300 Like the Novator.. But looking at its Range , that too is rather Impossible.... Can the Submarine launch a counter attack??

Pakistan doesnt need carriers yaar. And wont in the near future.

a new quick reaction highly specialized naval air defence unit should be put in place....

would be interesting to compare the P-3C and P-8 Orions. The P-8 does many things which the P-3 does --but with better service range and of course improved capabilities

a general statement -- maybe MPs or TTs informed on naval aviation could dig deeper into this

as you are aware im sure, PN is a PURELY defensive force.

^^P8i can only be used for Defense only..

often p3's and now P8s would work in a Hunter-killer role, on the lookout for subs. When a sub is known to be in certain segment of the ocean, these planes are sent there to actively search for those subs.

India can increase the effectiveness of this aircraft b orders of magnitude by implementing something similar to the American Integrated Undersea Surveillance System (IUSS). One of the basic components of such a system is the SOSUS, an acronym for Sound Surveillance System, which is a network of undersea sonar(both active and passive) and other listening devices which keep an eye out of submarines and oceangoing vessels and to triangulate their position..and even identify them(at times)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Undersea_Surveillance_System

India is an Envious position of being having an almost "landlocked" ocean. Its bounded on the East by the SEA islands, and on the west by the African continent.

Thus the paths enemy(in the event of war) subs have to take to reach the ocean is riddled with choke-points which can be utilized to great effect by the IN.

a system like SOSUS/IUSS would give a general bearing (within a few miles at most) or even real live-updates of the movements of targets. This would result in the Poseidon's and other anti-sub assets(eg ships) being sent to the area to deal with the threat. For submarines safety lies in anonymity. And when anonymity is compromised, a sub is as good as dead.

btw, these listening stations are not prohibitively expensive(quite cheap actually) and would help the IN secure the Indian ocean very effectively.

a possible system could look like this...initially based around existing Indian bases/listening stations in the Indian Ocean and around the SEA Choke-points. Later such systems could be extended to the area within the SEA islands (albeit out of territorial waters).

usually the SOSUS not only acts as a means to locate enemy subs..but also as trip-wires...when a target crosses/comes within range of multiple sosus-lines..they also help establish the intentions of the sub, to a certain extent.

piracy09acol.jpg

The red lines signify possible locations SOSUS-ish lines(this is, i hasten to add is only meant as a pictorial representation of my textual post above, and not based on actual scientific data). The general idea represented on the image above is the coverage of the choke-points and secondary and tertiary lines

you know how it works

Why you always need to bring pakistan and compare with India? if you want to than pakistan navy and Indian navy is not comparable.

Back
Top Bottom