What's new

Indian Navy gets firepower in its armoury

Share with me how Thales Sewaco FD and Tacticos are more reliable and effective vs latest Aegis Anti ballistic missile system. The naval arm of THAAD. Lets hear it. :)

You are the real troll here. I am stating facts about India and all you do is ad hominem attacks. If you love India so much, why don't you move back to India. Why stay in a country that is not your first love? Go back to India and rid America of a traitor.

Hey you are the only one focused on attacking India not us. How come you never got anything negative to point out about China?

Share with me how Thales Sewaco FD and Tacticos are more reliable and effective vs latest Aegis Anti ballistic missile system. The naval arm of THAAD. Lets hear it. :)

I never claimed they were .... unlike you for the reverse case! Hence, the burden is on you.
Incidentally, you've added 'effective'.
I've already pointed out the ABM role envisioned for LCF, which has SEWACO FD.

As designed, SMART-L has a maximum range of 400 km (220 nmi) against patrol aircraft, and 65 km (35 nmi) against stealthy missiles.[2] A software upgrade, Extended Long Range (ELR) Mode, extends the maximum range to 480 km (260 nmi). In 2006 HNLMS Tromp used the ELR Mode to track a ARAV-B missile from 150 km (81 nmi) during a US Navy ballistic missile defence exercise
SMART-L - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
APAR (Active Phased Array Radar) is a shipborne multifunction radar (MFR) developed and manufactured by Thales Nederland. It is the first Active Electronically Scanned Array MFR employed on an operational warship.APAR is typically paired with Thales Nederland's SMART-L radar (which operates at L band frequencies).

SMART-L is a long-range Volume Search Radar (VSR) that is able to provide volume search and tracking out to 480 km. The whole system is called Anti-Air Warfare Systems (AAWS), and is based on the NATO Anti-Air Warfare (NAAWS) concept of the late 1980s.
Active Phased Array Radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ballistic missile defence

The Koninklijke Marine is investigating the use of these ships for the role of Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD). During tests carried out by HNLMS Tromp in the Pacific ocean near Hawaii, experimental modifications to the SMART-L to allow even longer range were proven (detailed in the Tromp article). A study by the Koninklijke Marine, the Netherlands Defence Material Organization, Thales Nederland, Raytheon Missile Systems, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, and Lockheed Martin has been conducted to establish the feasibility of modifying the De Zeven Provinciën class to provide it the capability to intercept ballistic missiles. In particular, the study examined the feasibility of integrating the SM-3 Block IB missile with the SMART-L and APAR radars. The study concluded that - with certain modifications to the SMART-L and APAR, as well as to the ship's Combat Management System and the missile itself - BMD with the De Zeven Provinciën class could be achieved.[2]
A contract was awarded for the radar modification in June 2012.[3]

Modernizing

The De Zeven Provinciën class are very modern. The De Zeven Provinciën-class ships will get the new Smart-L mk2 radar that can detect ballistic missiles at a range of 2,000 km (1,200 mi). The Dutch minister promised also that the APAR radar will have a bigger range than 400 km (250 mi). This is because the Netherlands is the first country that is participating as an active missile shield for NATO.[citation needed]
In late 2011, the Ministry of Defence announced a modernization program to upgrade the SMART-L early-warning radar so that De Zeven Provinciën-class frigates can detect and track ballistic missiles at extended range. Although there are no plans to acquire the BDM-capable SM-3 surface-to-air missiles, De Zeven Provinciën-class frigates can be passed on the tracking and detection data to other sea-based or land-defense BMD assets, including the U.S. Navy’s warships, that can deal with a ballistic missile threat. This modernization program is scheduled for completion by late 2017 for the entire De Zeven Provinciën class.[4]
De Zeven Provinciën class frigate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back to topic.

The new frigate is armed with eight BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles. They are also equipped with a 100-mm gun, a Shtil surface-to-air missile system, two Kashtan air-defence gun/missile systems, two twin 533-mm torpedo launchers, and an antisubmarine warfare (ASW) helicopter.

Here are some pics....
All batch 2 Talwars including Tarkash are NOT equipped with Kashtan but rather with 2x AK630. Same for the similar units ordered for the Russian Navy. Look closely at the pics to see.

Hey you are the only one focused on attacking India not us. How come you never got anything negative to point out about China?

who says I never. I share the facts with the Chinese if they deviate from them. Just like how I share with he Indians. But won't you admit that Indians do brag more than Chinese?

Indian Navy is the best fed branch of Indian Armed Forces!

You obviously haven't seen Sino-challenger and China today's posts

Yes, their posts about China is equivalent to most Indians posts here. No wonder they got banned constantly, just like most Indians here.

I never claimed they were .... unlike you for the reverse case! Hence, the burden is on you.
Incidentally, you've added 'effective'.
I've already pointed out the ABM role envisioned for LCF, which has SEWACO FD.

Thanks you for pointing out the word "envision". This is how the world works, US perform the research and create something useful. The rest of the world try to catch up. By the time they do, the US would move to the next generation of technology. So the rest of the world is always about envisioning something that US had already able to achieve. The best example is the 5th generation fighter. So what other versions are out there now and by the time its ready, where would the US be? The same can be say about surface ships.

If India is serious about really improve its naval power, it should get in line and be the first foreign power to get an export version of Zumwalt DDG. Otherwise, India is just getting yesterday's US technology. India had done this before with P8I sub hunter. This is by far the most advance weaponry India has ever obtained vs the similar platform out there. And India didn't ask for TOT. What India should do is to try to get the most advance US weaponry and forget about TOT. This way, India can guarantee technology supremacy over others, include China, in the next 30-50 years.

who says I never. I share the facts with the Chinese if they deviate from them. Just like how I share with he Indians. But won't you admit that Indians do brag more than Chinese?

You need to be more open minded. If you were you would make such a statement. Identify your own weaknesses before talking of others. What others do is what others do. You can only have control over yourself. The way you carry yourself will influence others in a positive and negative way.

Thanks you for pointing out the word "envision". This is how the world works, US perform the research and create something useful. The rest of the world try to catch up. By the time they do, the US would move to the next generation of technology. So the rest of the world is always about envisioning something that US had already able to achieve.
Pay attention: The Netherlands in general and Thales Netherlands in particular do not produce SAMs of any kind, it produces radars and combat management systems. LCF is currently being modified for ABM. I.e. the capability is being created, becoming a reality. An ABM role for LCF is envisioned (that is why they are in the process of being modified). The US is already moving to some post-ABM use of their Aegis equipped ships?

So vital has the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMD) role of the class become that all ships of the class are being updated with BMD capability.[20][21] Burke production is being restarted in place of additional Zumwalt class destroyers
Arleigh Burke class destroyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i.e. not really (much) ahead of the LCF in this respect.

Several countries have begun to deploy this system. The most prominent are the United States and Japan. Also, Spain, United Kingdom, Australia, Netherlands, Germany, South Korea, and NATO are taking effort to install LRST and engagement capable systems.
Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Since Netherlands doesn't have any AEGIS ships, this is referring to the LCF

Meanwhile, you still owe me an answer on the reliability question. Or were you too buzy pondering the limited capability of your Kidd / Keelung class ships or the never realized Advance Combat System versions of the Perry frigate (cancelled mid 1990s, after ROCN finally decided ACS project was too risky, too long and too over budget)?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom