What's new

Indian Naval Air Arm - 2020

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
What will Indian Naval Air Arm look like in 2020???

800px-MiG-29K_on_the_MAKS-2009_%2802%29.jpg

FIXED WING

Combat Aircrafts:

Mig 29k - 45 ordered (order can be increased)

N-Tejas - 40-60

MMRCA - 40-60 (Rafale may be the front runner)

Maritime Reconnaissance / ASW:

P-8I - 12 ordered (no. may go upto 24)

Tu-142 - 8

IL-38 - 5

Do-228-201 - 20

LRMR - 12

MRMR - 6

Transport:

Do-228 - 10

HAL-748M - 10

BN-2 Islander - 15

Training:

HJT-16 Mk II - 6

HJT-16 Mk I - 6

HPT-32 - 8

Hawk Mk. 132 - 17

Helicopters

ASW:

MRH - 30

Ka - 25 - 7

Ka- 28 - 12

AEW:

Ka- 31 - 9

SAR:

Sea King Mk 42C - 6

Utility:

MRH - 30

Dhruv ALH - 4

Unmanned Helicopters - 40

UAV:

Heron - 4

Searcher Mk II - 8

Indian Naval Air Arm

..:: India Strategic ::. Navy: Indian Navy to have 100 combat jets, 500 aircraft

Indian Naval Air Arm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This data gives us a figure of around 450-500 aircrafts in total of which 150 or so will be combat jets, this can make IN's Naval Air Arm as one of the force to recon with till the end of the present decade, this will be a great jump from the current 200 a/c in it's inventory. It currently have 5000 personnel so the increase in a/c can increase the no. of personnel to 10k-15k.

Indian Naval Air Arm = Smaller version of Indian Air Force???

Now here are some important questions:

1. Will we order more mig-29k, if yes than how many?

2. Who will win the IN's MMRCA order, & in what nos.?

3. What will be the nos. of N-Tejas?

4. How many P-8Is?

5. Any changes in the above data?

6. Where will IN Naval air arm stand w.r.t other top Navies around the world in 2020?

7. MOST IMPORTANT - How can IN's aviation arm change the scenario of any future war of India??

To be frank i doubt IN will go for NMRCA reason being we are not going to get IAC 2 before 2021 forget about IAC 3.....so 45 Mig 29K and 50 NLCA will be more then enough to cover all of our ACC....

To be frank i doubt IN will go for NMRCA reason being we are not going to get IAC 2 before 2021 forget about IAC 3.....so 45 Mig 29K and 50 NLCA will be more then enough to cover all of our ACC....

I am of the opinion that IN will now not just buy combat jets for it's AC's but to maintain shore based squadrons as well, imagine a squadron of say mig-29k (with extended reach) deployed at A&N (our immovable AC) can patrol entire Bay of Bengal or Malacca Straits, similarly for Lakshwadeep islands, not to forget bases such as INS Hansa. PLAN maintains around 150 odd jets, even though it doesn't have a carrier. Since the area of responsibility of IN is increasing with each passing day, it will like to have a capable air wing as well, thus non-availability of AC cannot be a reason to tie it's hand down.

I hope We keep the Long Range Strategic Nuclear Tu-22 Bombers as long as possible.

Can go 12,000 Kms. without Refueling.

Are we going to see combination of Mig-29k and NLCA on IAC-2 also ??:undecided:

which will come after 2020...

Maritime Reconnaissance / ASW:

P-8I - 12 ordered (no. may go upto 24)

Tu-142 - 8

IL-38 - 5

Do-228-201 - 20

LRMR - 12

MRMR - 6

Transport:

Do-228 - 10

HAL-748M - 10

BN-2 Islander - 15

Nice post, but some corrections.

The P8Is are the LRMR aircrafts that will replace the Tu142, just like the MRMR aircrafts will replace the IL 38s, so by 2020 these Russian aircrafts will be gone.
Also, when you look at the IN airwing Wiki or BR navy aviation and you will see that IN don't have a dedicated transport fleet.

Now here are some important questions:

1. Will we order more mig-29k, if yes than how many?

2. Who will win the IN's MMRCA order, & in what nos.?

3. What will be the nos. of N-Tejas?

4. How many P-8Is?

5. Any changes in the above data?

6. Where will IN Naval air arm stand w.r.t other top Navies around the world in 2020?

7. MOST IMPORTANT - How can IN's aviation arm change the scenario of any future war of India??

1. Not for the first 2 carriers, unless N-LCA won't be another development disaster

2. The RFI was for reportedly for 40 fighters and I think the frontrunners are Rafale and F18SH, but with the delays of the carrier development, the whole idea could be scrapped in favor for a naval 5th gen fighter.

3. ordered are 6 so far, but they will be MK1 prototypes. The MK2 version is speculated in numbers of up to 60, depending on source. Wait and see

4. 12 ordered, additional orders might depend on MRMR selection too

6. Depends on the viewpoint. There are not many navies that will have 2 dedicated aircraft carriers by 2020, on the other side a single Chinese or French carrier offer slightly less, but more capable fighters.
The MPA fleet will be the most modern in the world behind the US, the ASW helicopter fleet will be big and capable too.

7. For the Indian Ocean area, they will provide the first line of defence against any enemy naval fleet and since there is no other country in that area that has similar capabilities, it will be a very strong asset.
But when the aim is to project the power to the east, in case of an Indo-Chinese war, the capabilities will be not enough, especially China has a numerically superior sub fleet.

I am of the opinion that IN will now not just buy combat jets for it's AC's but to maintain shore based squadrons as well, imagine a squadron of say mig-29k (with extended reach) deployed at A&N (our immovable AC) can patrol entire Bay of Bengal or Malacca Straits, similarly for Lakshwadeep islands, not to forget bases such as INS Hansa. PLAN maintains around 150 odd jets, even though it doesn't have a carrier. Since the area of responsibility of IN is increasing with each passing day, it will like to have a capable air wing as well, thus non-availability of AC cannot be a reason to tie it's hand down.

Any shore based air defence will be of IAF, not IN. That's why IAF is raising MKI squads in the east and south to provide the necessary maritime attack capability. Rafale might be added at some of these airbases too, although I think they are more important in the north east area.

The P8Is are the LRMR aircrafts that will replace the Tu142, just like the MRMR aircrafts will replace the IL 38s, so by 2020 these Russian aircrafts will be gone.
Also, when you look at the IN airwing Wiki or BR navy aviation and you will see that IN don't have a dedicated transport fleet.

1. Not for the first 2 carriers, unless N-LCA won't be another development disaster

2. The RFI was for reportedly for 40 fighters and I think the frontrunners are Rafale and F18SH, but with the delays of the carrier development, the whole idea could be scrapped in favor for a naval 5th gen fighter.

3. ordered are 6 so far, but they will be MK1 prototypes. The MK2 version is speculated in numbers of up to 60, depending on source. Wait and see

6. Depends on the viewpoint. There are not many navies that will have 2 dedicated aircraft carriers by 2020, on the other side a single Chinese or French carrier offer slightly less, but more capable fighters.
The MPA fleet will be the most modern in the world behind the US, the ASW helicopter fleet will be big and capable too.

7. For the Indian Ocean area, they will provide the first line of defence against any enemy naval fleet and since there is no other country in that area that has similar capabilities, it will be a very strong asset.
But when the aim is to project the power to the east, in case of an Indo-Chinese war, the capabilities will be not enough, especially China has a numerically superior sub fleet.

Any shore based air defence will be of IAF, not IN. That's why IAF is raising MKI squads in the east and south to provide the necessary maritime attack capability. Rafale might be added at some of these airbases too, although I think they are more important in the north east area.

Man, sancho u answered every query, nice one bro, but now thread may be closed even before it started :lol:

& ALSO KIRAN mk1 will be replaced by other trainers specially SITARA.

We need EW aircrafts like Growler and ASW aircrafts , not to mention 5th gen aircrafts . We can get them by 2025 .

We need EW aircrafts like Growler and ASW aircrafts , not to mention 5th gen aircrafts . We can get them by 2025 .

We could buy a squadron or so of EA-18Gs from US,,,or just convert a
no. of Su-30MKIs to dedicated EW warfare roles, I've a feeling that we
could have a need for such ac at Malacca Strait for hardened Electronic
Warfare against PLAN fleets/ac.

We could buy a squadron or so of EA-18Gs from US,,,or just convert a
no. of Su-30MKIs to dedicated EW warfare roles, I've a feeling that we
could have a need for such ac at Malacca Strait for hardened Electronic
Warfare against PLAN fleets/ac.
If at all we go for E/A-18Gs we need 2-3 squadrons to cover massive IOR - Vikramaditya , IAC1 , IAC2 , Andaman , Nicobar , Lakshadweep , East coast , West coast , South coast . We need ASW supplementing P8I , EW , AEW aircrafts that will be based on Nicobar as we can control strategic Malacca strait . IAF needs Su30s badly so conversion of Su30s is out of question , even super Sukhois will be operated by IAF for maritime roles , not IN .

Man, sancho u answered every query, nice one bro, but now thread may be closed even before it started :lol:

;) Sorry, but we can keep discussion about what additional aircrafts or capabilities that could be interesting for IN.

For example, imo they should select the Airbus C295 MPA in the MRMR competitions (just like ICG, BSF, or IAF in other versions), but besides the normal MPA capabilities, they should add a sidewards 20 to 30mm canon:

7062032487_4c10bd7357_b.jpg

(the rear one)

Why? In most situations these MPAs are the first that arrives at a spot when a vessel is under attack from pirats, because they are faster, have more range and endurance than naval vessels and their helicopters. However, we have seen what they can do in such a situation to fight the pirats, only to to threaten them with a low flyover. Attacking such small vessels with heavy anti ship weapons is useless, while a sideward facing canon enables the MPA to circle above the pirats in save distances and fire some warning rounds and if needed even to take them out. It's the same principle that makes the C130 Spectres useful in CAS of ground forces.
When we also keep in mind that India is facing a coastal terrorist threat, MPAs with offensive capabilities against them shouldn't be a bad idea either!

What do you think?

If at all we go for E/A-18Gs we need 2-3 squadrons to cover massive IOR - Vikramaditya , IAC1 , IAC2 , Andaman , Nicobar , Lakshadweep , East coast , West coast , South coast . We need ASW supplementing P8I , EW , AEW aircrafts that will be based on Nicobar as we can control strategic Malacca strait . IAF needs Su30s badly so conversion of Su30s is out of question , even super Sukhois will be operated by IAF for maritime roles , not IN .

EW fighters are meant for SEAD attacks, which means only for a special role in a special land attack situation, so we defenitely won't need 2 or 3 squads, let alone that INs carriers won't have 2 or 3 squads on their carriers.
Secondly, Growlers are normally not for sale for export customers and if at all, only for close allies of the US, that's why only Australia will get them so far, while Boeing wanted to offer a Growler lite for export customers like India.
Thirdly, with the improvement of AESA modules, electronic attack will soon be done by internal systems and modules placed around the fighter and not external pods anymore. That means just like you can see at Rafales SPECTRA system, any fighter will be able to be used in such roles and with such capabilities, not dedicated fighters anymore.

Your assumption is wrong... Tuplov will not be replaced with Poseidon.

ANC actually is a combined command, led by a naval offficer. The IAF heavy fighters like the Sukhois will be based out of there for the greater range and heavy payload carrying capacity. Increasingly there is an emphasis on creating joint command structures. The base which comes up in the Arabian Sea will also follow a similar approach.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom